Sponsored

Am I the only one who doesn't get the fascination with old cars?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have a 2016 Mustang GT and a 1986 Camaro Z/28. I love them for different things. The Mustang starts every time, goes like stink, corners well, has air conditioning and heated seats and power windows and bluetooth and almost every other toy I could want.

The Camaro has a big block (one of three GEN 3 Camaros that I know of). It doesn't start every time, needs to stay on a battery charger, shifts harder than anything I've ever driven, has a locking rear that chirps the inner tire when turning and shifting, runs hot, and is generally loud and obnoxious. It can't breathe past 5000 RPMs, doesn't rev for shit, the air conditioning barely works, the radio is from like 2001, and the brakes feel like I'm stopping a Mack truck.

But, when you push the go pedal and it kicks down from fourth to second (700-R4), it pulls like a goddamn freight train. There's no traction control, no stability control, and no electronic nannies. If you're not damn sure you are going to have traction (on 235 all-seasons), you're going to lose the back end. Driving this has made me a better driver in my Mustang, no doubt. It's also a literal one of maybe three car. Fitting a 454 into the engine bay with long tube headers was no easy task (was my FIL's car, but I helped him through most of the build process), and seeing people at car shows, assuming it's a stock 305, realize that it's a 454, is pretty cool.

Different tools for different jobs.

JR
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016 Mustang GT and a 1986 Camaro Z/28. I love them for different things. The Mustang starts every time, goes like stink, corners well, has air conditioning and heated seats and power windows and bluetooth and almost every other toy I could want.

The Camaro has a big block (one of three GEN 3 Camaros that I know of). It doesn't start every time, needs to stay on a battery charger, shifts harder than anything I've ever driven, has a locking rear that chirps the inner tire when turning and shifting, runs hot, and is generally loud and obnoxious. It can't breathe past 5000 RPMs, doesn't rev for shit, the air conditioning barely works, the radio is from like 2001, and the brakes feel like I'm stopping a Mack truck.

But, when you push the go pedal and it kicks down from fourth to second (700-R4), it pulls like a goddamn freight train. There's no traction control, no stability control, and no electronic nannies. If you're not damn sure you are going to have traction (on 235 all-seasons), you're going to lose the back end. Driving this has made me a better driver in my Mustang, no doubt. It's also a literal one of maybe three car. Fitting a 454 into the engine bay with long tube headers was no easy task (was my FIL's car, but I helped him through most of the build process), and seeing people at car shows, assuming it's a stock 305, realize that it's a 454, is pretty cool.

Different tools for different jobs.

JR
I had a 1987 Trans Am. It would vibrate like the wheels were coming off at about 120mph. You needed a very long straight road to get there. loved that car. Chicks dug it, lol....

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 1987 Trans Am. It would vibrate like the wheels were coming off at about 120mph. You needed a very long straight road to get there. loved that car. Chicks dug it, lol....
I haven't had mine over 100, simply due to the fact that the tires are 20 years old. I'm going to put a new set on this winter. It tracks very straight, the steering is surprisingly good, and with the heavy engine, it has a really heavy duty suspension - Chevelle springs up front with a Ford 9" rear. Getting to 100 takes no time. She's a beast.

JR

IMG_20191119_155405.jpg

IMG_20190323_183549.jpg

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
If I had a proper place to keep more than two cars I'd have an old one. Hell, I might have bid on the Vagabond Falcon.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Mostly it depends on your personal experiences. Like some folks are stuck in the past where their heyday was in high school or college. Some remember their first car doing a burnout. Your first dragrace. First time driving a 4 speed.

Although I remember those times fondly, I am firmly in the camp of the newer more modern cars. They are much, much easier to work on and mod.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had mine over 100, simply due to the fact that the tires are 20 years old. I'm going to put a new set on this winter. It tracks very straight, the steering is surprisingly good, and with the heavy engine, it has a really heavy duty suspension - Chevelle springs up front with a Ford 9" rear. Getting to 100 takes no time. She's a beast.

JR

IMG_20191119_155405.jpg

IMG_20190323_183549.jpg
nice!

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I took her to Cars and Coffee on Saturday. The guys that know, know. Everyone else just sees a mid-80s Camaro with racing stripes and some chrome under the hood. A few older guys came up to me and told me that they couldn't imagine the crap we (my FIL and I) went through to get that engine under the hood and working. The younger 6G Camaro guys just look at the car as though it's what their older brother drove in high school, and is likely a piece of shit.

JR

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I took her to Cars and Coffee on Saturday. The guys that know, know. Everyone else just sees a mid-80s Camaro with racing stripes and some chrome under the hood. A few older guys came up to me and told me that they couldn't imagine the crap we (my FIL and I) went through to get that engine under the hood and working. The younger 6G Camaro guys just look at the car as though it's what their older brother drove in high school, and is likely a piece of shit.

JR
My first drag race was in my tans am. I raced a z28 like yours. Fortunately it didn’t have a 454 in it, lol.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I go to car shows and I see all these old cars and Im like eh... I go look at the new ones. I mean they are old, uncomfortable to drive, the performance sucks and unless moded the power and handling sucks. plus most are the loudest most uncomfortable interiors like riding a old wooden roller coaster.

I like modern, comfort, performance and tech. I don't typically keep a car longer then 2 to 3 years.

I can appreciate the care in some of these and how some even look new but as a car in general I rather have new.

Just my preference but If I own a car I want modern not old.
Any relation?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gibson0590

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 , 1967 Mustang Fastback C-Code
Love my 2019 S550 GT PP1....but it will never outshine or compare to my 1967 Mustang Fastback.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Last edited:

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Old cars have made me quite a bit of money working on them, my car has brought a lot of enjoyment to me and my sons. It’s nothing special, just a big block that spins to 7200 in a Chevelle. It’s only made 590/595 out of 454 inches. I drove it quite a bit last year before a roller lifter locked up and took out the cam. Upon tearing it down I found one of the galley plugs behind the timing cover backed out so no oil went through the top end for long enough to cause a lifter to fail. But the fun part is doing it all again, this time bigger and better than before. It’s fun, both of my boys love riding in it, that Muncie is difficult to work with cold, but shifts smooth as butter when it’s warmed up. One finger power steering, it transfers weight well the kids love being pushed back in the seat.

Overall either you like it or don’t, but it gets far more attention out cruising around than the mustang does, every once and a while someone will say something at the gas station in the mustang, in my Chevelle people go out of their way to come talk about it, or just roll down the windows at a light to talk for a second, and of course you get kids yelling “do a burnout” all the time.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Old cars have made me quite a bit of money working on them, my car has brought a lot of enjoyment to me and my sons. It’s nothing special, just a big block that spins to 7200 in a Chevelle. It’s only made 590/595 out of 454 inches. I drove it quite a bit last year before a roller lifter locked up and took out the cam. Upon tearing it down I found one of the galley plugs behind the timing cover backed out so no oil went through the top end for long enough to cause a lifter to fail. But the fun part is doing it all again, this time bigger and better than before. It’s fun, both of my boys love riding in it, that Muncie is difficult to work with cold, but shifts smooth as butter when it’s warmed up. One finger power steering, it transfers weight well the kids love being pushed back in the seat.

Overall either you like it or don’t, but it gets far more attention out cruising around than the mustang does, every once and a while someone will say something at the gas station in the mustang, in my Chevelle people go out of their way to come talk about it, or just roll down the windows at a light to talk for a second, and of course you get kids yelling “do a burnout” all the time.
Place around me has a 71 chevy truck I've been looking at with 454 in it. Not quite prostreet like I want but it's nice

https://rosscustomsmi.com/2020/11/for-sale-1972-chevrolet-cheyenne-454-short-box-32900/

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT