Sponsored

Am I the only one who doesn't get the fascination with old cars?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I go to car shows and I see all these old cars and Im like eh... I go look at the new ones. I mean they are old, uncomfortable to drive, the performance sucks and unless moded the power and handling sucks. plus most are the loudest most uncomfortable interiors like riding a old wooden roller coaster.

I like modern, comfort, performance and tech. I don't typically keep a car longer then 2 to 3 years.

I can appreciate the care in some of these and how some even look new but as a car in general I rather have new.

Just my preference but If I own a car I want modern not old.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Same here - old muscle cars are great to look at but not particularly great to drive. And they are money pits. Check out this car and driver article: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...2-german-sports-coupe-comparo-by-the-numbers/

These cars cost >$90K new in 1992 and they are slow (0-60 7.2 for a V12 BMW 850??) The 928 went to 60 in a whopping 5.3s - but could only manage .87 g in the slalom - the BMW .80. My PP2 pulled 1.13 according to C&D.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm just the opposite, the old cars are just raw. I am much more comfortable in them. I can sit next to the wheel so I can muscle the thing around corners. Unlike these new POS's where I have to either have my arms stretched out or my leg's folded up.

But I grew up with the old iron

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
To a lot of people, the old stuff has a lot more style than the newer cars and look a lot better. The new stuff all look the same and some of them you need to get close enough to read the badge to even know what it is. At least the older stuff you knew what it was. Take the old Chevy impala's from 1958 up to 1972 there was a change in design every year and if you knew what to look for you could tell them apart. But modern cars use the same design for multiple years with no changes, like the S-550's, the 15-17's are identical, and so are the 18-20's.

The latest trend is to restomod a classic. Basically stuff a modern drivetrain, suspension, and brakes into a classic body. Then you get the best of both worlds, a modern car that looks like a classic.

Last edited:

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Love the old cars..... a little crude compared to things today, but simple and a great representation of evolution ... and great memories. There are definitely some cars that are better than others.
I miss my '65.
My father also raced Trans Am series in '65 and '66 GT350 that were absolutely amazing..... 550 Hp and 2,700 lbs .... for sure a raw animal. One ride in it would give you a new appreciation of old!

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Depends. If you’re comparing them for daily driver duty, then yeah... old cards fall far behind.

For nostalgia, something to work on and be a nice cruiser, it’s hard to beat old muscle.

I love them.. original, modded, restomodded, doesn’t matter.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm an older guy and have always like old cars and have restored many Mopars and Porsches. You obviously can't compare them technically to new cars. Its about nostalgia and character. For the most part the newer stuff lacks any character. You have to look at the badge on the steering wheel to see what you are driving. New stuff depreciates and old stuff doesn't so from a hobby car point of view they make more sense. I bought the Mustang for the engine but the rest is pretty ho hum.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'd love to have a 70 396 Nova SS, a 70 440 Roadrunner, 63 Impala SS 409, 70 340 'Cuda or a 64 thunderbolt. I'd trade my mustang for anyone of those in great shape and daily drive it.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'd say it is all relative to your age. My guess is for those that don't get it, you are of the younger generation. My first car was a '65 289 / 4 speed. Yeah, had to push in the clutch, pull the choke lever, know just how much throttle to give it so it wouldn't flood it and turn the key to start it - yeah an actual metal key. But when it would start up with that Crane cam and go lopedee, lopedee, lopedee with Cherry bomb glass packs (not really mufflers but made it legal) and you smelled the leaded $.72 gallon gas burning, it was heaven!

For the younger crowd here, you will remember the day when you had a key fob, a start button, paddle shifters, navigation and the right to put a loud exhaust on and mod your car. Then a bunch of years from now, you will go, "remember when" we had those things and now the car just does it all without any input, has to remain factory stock and runs silently down the road?!!!

Then you will appreciate "old" 2020 cars.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I remember when both gas and exhaust smelled good.

100 octane at the pump was everywhere.

Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
You are looking at "old cars" the wrong way. When you see a hunk of rusted crap, smelling of cat urine and missing a motor, there is nothing in my head that says, "boy, I'd love to get that running again ."

But, when you are looking at Ken Mile's GT350 or a Lemans winning Ferrari or even a MG or 70's era Porsche I see the cars that got us to where we are today. All the modern luxury and gadgets you enjoy on your new car came from the cars of the past and the improvements made to them.

Nearly every car made before 1990 could be easily maintained and would survive just fine with a dead battery, almost no car made today can be easily worked on without a degree in computer science and a dead battery could mean a week of resetting every gadget in the thing.

Last edited:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Not sure id daily one of the classics due to creature comforts, and overall being able to find parts to repair it if something went wrong.

But for a second car or a weekend cruiser? Hell yes. In a heartbeat i very badly want to buy or restore a classic and have almost bought a couple older ones in the past.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You are looking at "old cars" the wrong way. When you see a hunk of rusted crap, smelling of cat urine and missing a motor, there is nothing in my that says, "boy, I'd love to get that running again ."

But, when you are looking at Ken Mile's GT350 or a Lemans winning Ferrari or even a MG or 70's era Porsche I see the cars that got us to where we are today. All the modern luxury and gadgets you enjoy on your new car came from the cars of the past and the improvements made to them.

Nearly every car made before 1990 could be easily maintained and would survive just fine with a dead battery, almost no car made today can be easily worked on without a degree in computer science and a dead battery could mean a week of resetting every gadget in the thing.
I think I would Partially disagree now with the ability to work on newer cars. I have had many many cars and until my last two I never worked on my own cars ever. Now due to the costs of people wanting 75 dollars to tighten a bolt or 350.00 to put a exhaust on that required no cutting or welding and was literally 3 bolts and and 3 hangers and would have taken 10 mins with 2 guys.... Ive learned to work on them myself.

Honestly they are not hard, Ive taken my front end off, do my own rotations, had the entire car apart from the front seats back for sound damping, Installed my own after market subs and tesla screen radio, tied a passenger side display into the body control module, figured out forscan installed my own lowering springs, installed the ford performance calibration kit, hand cut my own exhust and did the work for the new one and others on the mustang. On my other car ive traced electrical problems and did the head gaskets myself (older 07 focus). all with no garage and on a gravel drive with no lift or fancy tools.

I am saying all this because one I dont think working on new or old cars is hard actually parts availability i think makes working on new easier. But I do understand wanting to work on or restore an old "classic" and can appreciate the work and pride in it. I just dont want to own one and something in me just is totally uninterested in them. Like I said ill go to shows youll find me over at the new cars I hardly look at the old. I am 48 so no young whipper snapper so its not because im a kid I cant explain it I just have no interest in them. What ever the interest is in them ,i guess its the feels for most since they or their dad owned one, just misses me I guess cause im not a sentimental person. Now for what ever reason I do love a good looking mustang 2 for some reason LOL.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It's like a model cars you built when you were a kid, but now you can drive them after assembling. When something pops off, a little more rubber cement and off you go again.
Sponsored