Sponsored

Am I going to hate all season tires?

bigperm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 mustang conv.
My 2015 GTPP is my first modern car with summer tires that I have owned. I do love everything about driving this car, except that in Colorado it gets below 40 degrees 33% of the days in the year and I end up driving my gas guzzling pickup which I can always drive when it snows. The P-zeros are like rocks when it is below 40. The stock Pirelli P-zeros are finished, and I am thinking I about the Michelin A/S3's. I might take the car to the track this summer and will probably hit the 1/4 mile a couple times at best. But for the most part, it is a really fun commuter. As the title says, will I hate the A/S tires in the summer after driving it with the summer tires or should I opt for another set of summer tires even though the car sits for 3-4 months? Experiences or opinions are welcomed!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The only time you'll notice a grip deficit to the P-zeros is when it's hot outside (85+ F) and at the track. The A/S 3+ will be closer than you'd expect even in those conditions, though. Overall I don't think you'll be unhappy unless you do things like autocross and trying to compete (in which case the P-zero isn't even close to something like a RE71R anyway).

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
There are some really superb ASs on the street now, the AS3, BFG Comp2 A/S is another one, the DWS06...I went with the Comp 2 A/S but haven't yet had them in hot or even warm temps. Great tire, so far.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
The DWS06 is a fantastic all season tire. wet and dry traction is great. You wont be disappointed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Alternatively, the Michelin PSS isn't the same at cold temps as the Pzero. I've driven on them in 30 deg and never felt like I was on the rocks (it was late October and I wasn't ready to change to snows yet). You obviously don't want to push it at below 45 deg with those, but it will be drivable if the roads are dry.

Sponsored

jon2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP 401a TY
While you might not notice an ultimate grip deficiency, you are going to be losing sharp steering response, going from summer tires to all seasons.

Personally I wouldn't want to give that up with this car.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Why not get a set of wheels and put summer tires on them and put winter/ all seasons on ur pp wheels?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you don't drive the car in the winter than it makes almost no sense to get all season tires.

And while you won't hate them just driving around, I would not dare take em to a drag strip or road course...you might as well stay home cuz you'd be wasting your time.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Mine GT Premium came with 19" Pirelli ale season tires and that was a first thing I changed in this car...simply because I would just kill myself one day...

But here where I live temp could drop to -30'C and we have a lot snow for 3-4 months a year.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I also have the crappy Pirelli"s on my 15 and they are about done with just over 13,000 on them. I was also looking at the Michelin A/S3's to replace them. I am going to ordered them soon and I also hope I will like them. I hate the Pirelli's and in cold weather it is like driving on ice with these tires.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I have a set of studless snow/ice but I needed much more a tire that I could drive nearly year round, cold temps are more problem than snow/ice. I do miss, I know I will miss the summer tire 6-8 months out of the year. It was 68 here the last two days and driving it hard on the back roads, the Comp 2A/S was easy to slide and I had to back down the speeds I (could have) gotten.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I actually have more confidence and can push the car harder in my BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S. These, along with the Michelin AS3+ are better in every way (off a track, they can't handle the prolonged abuse) than the Pirelli Summers that came on the car in the warm.

Outside of a track, both of the above options will be comparable in performance. The DWS06 are quieter on the highway and better in the snow, but the sidewall is too soft and they can't turn it at the same level as the above or summers.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Love my BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S tire... had them on dry/hot, dry/cold, wet... just great all-around tires!

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Why not get a set of wheels and put summer tires on them and put winter/ all seasons on ur pp wheels?

I lived in CO for 10 years. THIS is what you need to do.

Get some aftermarket wheels that are wider and lighter than your stock PP wheels, and buy some dedicated snows to drive on late-Oct through Mar in CO.

stang9779

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm in Colorado and I put a set of studded snows on my PP wheels. I got a 2nd set of wheels for summer and put the P Zeros on them. Now I'm needing new summer tires and I'm putting my 19" MMD Zeven's up for sale if your interested.
Sponsored