Sponsored

Am I crazy? Considering selling my Heritage for a FP350S

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
it’s actually less about making money and more about moving money appropriately based on the usage. I have x amount of money allocated for what I enjoy. Selling cars for other cars is not about trying to turn x into y, it’s about using x to continue to experience more/different things as my passion for cars evolves. Fully understand cars are almost always not an investment.

I more so don’t want to ruin a heritage haha. It’s just another gt350 if it wasn’t for the paint and some stickers but it’s still pretty cool and a lot of people value that.

I guess option 3 would be get a black or something gt350 and build it how I’d like… tho would not be cheap I’d assume to convert to cross plane… essentially honeybadgers build.
I’ve got a black ‘19 that’ll be on the market soon with a new engine, new transmission, 5 years left on the bumper to bumper. I’ll make ya a deal ;)
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IIRC, isn't the GT350S essentially like the Cobra Jets, which is a "body in white" with no VIN? Meaning it can never be street driven and/or tagged for street use?

If it's essentially going to be used at a track then it's no big deal, but to not being able to ever drive it legally on the street - that's the only "con" I can think of when comparing what you already have against it.

OP
OP
Jeffwels

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M
I retract the “do it”…

a car is a car is a car, but to try and ask top dollar with a duct tape fix is beyond the pale…imho.
This is where I am after seeing the car in person. That was a poor show of fixing… in addition to having little info… what other corners were cut on the car through its life… what a shame cause it’s such a cool track car.

I guess I’m back to the drawing and scouring racingjunk while enjoying my gt350.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Doesn't seem crazy to me at all. You want a dedicated track car instead of molesting your special GT350 HEP. The fact that you are even considering a different car instead of just ruining your GT350 to allow another owner enjoy the fresh experience shows that you have some sense.

Would always be cool to get a dedicated track car like this, Ive always been interested in manufacturer offered dedicated track cars like the Miata Cup Cars, the Honda Si HPDs, etc. If I had the resources I'd love to have one. I've always been interested in the ownership experience for something like that Hopefully when Im older I can get something like this. Dont leave us hanging if you get it.

If you ask, me go for it 😎

Last edited:

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This is where I am after seeing the car in person. That was a poor show of fixing… in addition to having little info… what other corners were cut on the car through its life… what a shame cause it’s such a cool track car.

I guess I’m back to the drawing and scouring racingjunk while enjoying my gt350.
That for me would be the biggest issue. It isn't a bubble gum and tape fix. It's the "what else am I going to discover that's not readily apparent when I get it home for enough time to thoroughly look through." It would also make me worry that other similar approaches were taken to mechanical issues or maintenance.

I once had a "friend" who owned the most raggedy piece of shit couch you could imagine, but at one time it was very expensive as it had the motorized reclining in multiple places. He had 4 dogs who all slept on the thing constantly and he remarked how he was going to sell it. I told him no one would give him a dime for that nasty thing. He went to the store and bought half a dozen bottles of fabric cleaner and fabreeze, spent 3 hours cleaning, vacuuming and deoderizing it and then posted it on FB marketplace and ended up selling it for like $800. I was shocked. Taught me a huge lesson about not trusting used stuff.

One wouldn't expect someone who owns an FP350S to behave that way, but I'd be very cautious about laying down the amount of money involved. Maybe you could negotiate a price reduction to pay for a 3rd party mechanical/bumper to bumper inspection?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you want to a track a mustang, there's not much better than an FP350S for less than 100K, IMHO. Have you considered asking him to drop the price enough to cover the repairs? say 8-10K? I'd do that in a heart beat if I wasn't so hell bent on building one. As they say, why buy it done when you can do it yourself for 3x the cost and years worth of your free time.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
You should look at the maintenance on the fp350s btw…..every 60hrs engine rebuild…..

me and @honeybadger prob each have 75-100k in our 350’s turning them into track cars minus the car. I just put in another 35 in upgrades…. My 500 is my street car….. can you afford the upkeep?

that being said…..one thing i was told when i started racing…..buy a car already done because doing it yourselfis way more expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffwels

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M
You should look at the maintenance on the fp350s btw…..every 60hrs engine rebuild…..

me and @honeybadger prob each have 75-100k in our 350’s turning them into track cars minus the car. I just put in another 35 in upgrades…. My 500 is my street car….. can you afford the upkeep?

that being said…..one thing i was told when i started racing…..buy a car already done because doing it yourselfis way more expensive.
This is what worries me as till now no one can tell me how many hours are on the car… which would mean if I couldn’t actually find out I’d also have to budget for rebuild to be safe… same could be the case for the trans as well.

Im considering all this and could be grounds for an offer way lower than the ask.

Agree with all sentiments that building something would be a ton more money. I think I should also drive, or at least ride in, a well prepped corvette… anyone have one?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
This is what worries me as till now no one can tell me how many hours are on the car… which would mean if I couldn’t actually find out I’d also have to budget for rebuild to be safe… same could be the case for the trans as well.

Im considering all this and could be grounds for an offer way lower than the ask.

Agree with all sentiments that building something would be a ton more money. I think I should also drive, or at least ride in, a well prepped corvette… anyone have one?
What vintage? C5 Z’s are super popular around here for budget builds.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
How about a Porsche GT3 Cup car? I saw one of those recently at an HPDE event. Pretty cool!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Most race cars look like race cars. Usually body work comes second to mechanical parts.

Like someone else said if you are actually running the car you will go off track.

If you want a dedicated track car get the FP350S, unless you want to be left alone on the paddok. A 1 of 50 car will get you attention. There is no way you could build that exact car for 100 K

Jet One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Hmmm.. I've met the owner of this car at VIR. He told me a car leaked fuel on track and he got into a slow spin and barely bumped a barrier at Road ATL. I remember the duct tape. Super nice family!

I'm on the fence of finding dedicated track car and selling my R. I've Also contemplating adding safety and modifying it with no worries too. still not sure...If I could get into a FP350 for under $20-25K after trading or selling mine I'd do it! If I was someone who still drove my car on the street weekend drives ect. I'd keep the street car.

Will dealer give you good $$$ for your car towards the FP350s?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I would want a solid once over by a local race shop, a report on the hours on the chassis, and then I would make an offer commensurate to properly repairing that rear quarter panel.

The fact that it hit the tire barrier isn't a major concern, it's what was done to put it back to right afterwards. How is the suspension on that side? Did the tire hit hard enough to damage the diff at all? etc...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
$100k? I may want it. You know duct tape fixes are common at the track. I recall Billy Johnson borrowing a roll of gorilla tape from me one year to to do a temp repair. (Edit: on a friend of his car).

Yes, the engine is supposed to be overhauled every 40 hours of track time. That's just an engine refresh that would run you 5k or so. Keep in mind that is under racing conditions. The average Joe blow could probably stretch that some.

Kevin piped in, and I agree with him. Look at all he has done and is doing. 100k for a purpose built track car? FP350S? 100k isn't that much. If the engine was recently overhauled, I would overlook the duct tape fix.

If you pass on it, let me know.
Sponsored