Am I crazy? Considering selling my Heritage for a FP350S

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M
Firstly this is @pilotgore 's fault lol.

I have a 2020 Heritage base with Recaros and about 4200 miles, chassis #11. The car has the 8 year 36k premiumcare extended ford warranty. The car has only seen rain once and has PPF over the entire front clip, lower doors and rear quarters. Car has ford performance springs and sway bars as well as the stock in storage. Other parts I have sitting that I have not installed.

I got the car in April 2020 by flying to Chicago, buying the car and driving it home. The first year i drove the car the brunt of the miles it has now including that 600 mile drive home. Then I took it to a HPDE and absolutely fell deeply in love with the car. I was never a mustang guy before this car, my friends thought I was crazy when I bought it. I come from a japanese sports car background where I tracked multiple Evo 8/9's and the car that I sold to buy the gt350 was a 94 FD rx7 that i had extensively modified.

Taking the car on track kinda ruined street driving in the car for me. Don't get me wrong, It's still a lot of fun and have taken it out on some fun weekend drives through the mountains about an hour or so from my house... but can't compare to driving the car where it belongs.

I don't want to ruin the heritage, and I'm scared I will. Both with modification and taking it on track more often. Right now the car doesn't have a lot of track time on it, and when i have tracked it I kinda baby it, but I have a strong urge to continue to modify the car to make it faster and more fun. Half the fun i have with cars is maintenance/modification/tinkering. I'm religious with maintenance on the gt350. I have had 0 problems with my car other than a battery failure.

There is a 2017 FP350S locally believe it or not for sale that I am actually heading out the door now to go check out. It's car number 28. The car is on consignment at a local small dealer and they didnt have a lot of info for me when I called but hope to learn significantly more today. I do think its a bit overpriced (listed at 100k), but I'm going anyway. I would have never considered a mustang track car had it not been for the GT350... shame on me in this regard.

Am I crazy for considering selling the heritage and picking up this track car? I already have a nice aluminum open trailer and plenty of garage space + a 2 post lift at home, but will I miss the ability to drive the gt350 on the road? None of you will have the right answer but curious of opinions
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Short answerā€¦..Depends.
First off, when I bought my new, old stock ā€˜19 for 5K under msrp all I was looking for was the best deal. Considering I could have bought a Heritage for msrp at the same time, I wasnā€™t thinking about resale, just a fun car for retirement.
That said, I still feel like I made the right decision. Why? Because once you are driving you lose track you donā€™t have special paint and emblems. Unless youā€™re looking at resale, a Heritage is just another GT350.
That said #2ā€¦..If you want a special ā€œtrack onlyā€ car, the S is pretty cool. Consider you are buying someone elseā€™s potential problems with zero warranty, I think.
Maybe consider converting your Heritage into an ā€œSā€ yourself or have it done. Iā€™d even consider sending it to Fathouse to build a monster.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
it all depends on cost/benefit. if you want a dedicated track car and don't wanna change the road car then all it comes down to is dollars. those FP350S cars are pretty dope. seam welded, lightened, all that crap. heritages seem to be highly coveted which will only increase in time.

since track doesn't care about that stuff and someone else does let them pay the premium and get your track car.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Firstly this is @pilotgore 's fault lol.

I have a 2020 Heritage base with Recaros and about 4200 miles, chassis #11. The car has the 8 year 36k premiumcare extended ford warranty. The car has only seen rain once and has PPF over the entire front clip, lower doors and rear quarters. Car has ford performance springs and sway bars as well as the stock in storage. Other parts I have sitting that I have not installed.

I got the car in April 2020 by flying to Chicago, buying the car and driving it home. The first year i drove the car the brunt of the miles it has now including that 600 mile drive home. Then I took it to a HPDE and absolutely fell deeply in love with the car. I was never a mustang guy before this car, my friends thought I was crazy when I bought it. I come from a japanese sports car background where I tracked multiple Evo 8/9's and the car that I sold to buy the gt350 was a 94 FD rx7 that i had extensively modified.

Taking the car on track kinda ruined street driving in the car for me. Don't get me wrong, It's still a lot of fun and have taken it out on some fun weekend drives through the mountains about an hour or so from my house... but can't compare to driving the car where it belongs.

I don't want to ruin the heritage, and I'm scared I will. Both with modification and taking it on track more often. Right now the car doesn't have a lot of track time on it, and when i have tracked it I kinda baby it, but I have a strong urge to continue to modify the car to make it faster and more fun. Half the fun i have with cars is maintenance/modification/tinkering. I'm religious with maintenance on the gt350. I have had 0 problems with my car other than a battery failure.

There is a 2017 FP350S locally believe it or not for sale that I am actually heading out the door now to go check out. It's car number 28. The car is on consignment at a local small dealer and they didnt have a lot of info for me when I called but hope to learn significantly more today. I do think its a bit overpriced (listed at 100k), but I'm going anyway. I would have never considered a mustang track car had it not been for the GT350... shame on me in this regard.

Am I crazy for considering selling the heritage and picking up this track car? I already have a nice aluminum open trailer and plenty of garage space + a 2 post lift at home, but will I miss the ability to drive the gt350 on the road? None of you will have the right answer but curious of opinions
Welpā€¦. You know where I stand :)

If you can stand working with a different platform, you can get a killer track car for what you can currently get for your car.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Modern car guys are so funny.

The answer is, you tell us.

Forget the financial discussions. A car, a modern car, compared to dozens of other financial vehicles is a very POOR "investment." If you're worried about the money, put it into something that will actually make a decent return.

You won't see positive returns on that car for decades.

When you factor in up front costs (the cost of the car, taxes, title etc), now apply the government's ridiculous 8.5% inflation rate (as someone who works in an industry that purchases hundreds of millions I can absolutely tell you that the real inflation rate is much higher).

Then you have to pay recurring costs. Insurance and maintenance. Even if you're just keeping it hermetically sealed in a controlled garage and not driving it, you still have to pay insurance and you still have to change oil and do other things.

Set aside depreciation and mileage for a moment. Just using inflation and recurring costs, if you're $100k up front doesn't grow by (let's use the fictitious 3.5% annual inflation, which we're unlikely to ever see again). So you put down $100k on a $92k car (taxes and title). That means if you own the car for 30 years, and you don't end up seeing the car worth $280k, you lost money. And we haven't even figured in annual recurring costs. AND THAT IS USING 3.5% inflation. If we use something like 5%, you need the car to be worth $430k!!!!.

A car doesn't start to overcome sunk costs and inflation and recurring costs until it's very old and very rare. Granted, the 350FPS is a very limited car already, but if you're not planning on selling it for several times what you bought it for, then my advice is to get it because you want to drive it and enjoy it. If you wanna make money, then make money putting it in something WAY better. If you wanna enjoy a car, then enjoy. Mixing the two makes modern car enthusiasts just seem foolish and ignorant to the way finances work.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

Forget the financial discussions. A car, a modern car, compared to dozens of other financial vehicles is a very POOR "investment." If you're worried about the money, put it into something that will actually make a decent return.

When you factor in up front costs (the cost of the car, taxes, title etc), now apply the government's ridiculous 8.5% inflation rate (as someone who works in an industry that purchases hundreds of millions I can absolutely tell you that the real inflation rate is much higher).

Then you have to pay recurring costs. Insurance and maintenance. Even if you're just keeping it hermetically sealed in a controlled garage and not driving it, you still have to pay insurance and you still have to change oil and do other things.

Set aside depreciation and mileage for a moment. Just using inflation and recurring costs, if you're $100k up front doesn't grow by (let's use the fictitious 3.5% annual inflation, which we're unlikely to ever see again). So you put down $100k on a $92k car (taxes and title). That means if you own the car for 30 years, and you don't end up seeing the car worth $280k, you lost money. And we haven't even figured in annual recurring costs. AND THAT IS USING 3.5% inflation. If we use something like 5%, you need the car to be worth $430k!!!!.

A car doesn't start to overcome sunk costs and inflation and recurring costs until it's very old and very rare. Granted, the 350FPS is a very limited car already, but if you're not planning on selling it for several times what you bought it for, then my advice is to get it because you want to drive it and enjoy it. If you wanna make money, then make money putting it in something WAY better. If you wanna enjoy a car, then enjoy. Mixing the two makes modern car enthusiasts just seem foolish and ignorant to the way finances work.
My brain hurts from all the truth you just laid down :)

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
While I certainly wouldn't kick a FP350S out of my garage....... Unless you're planning on doing some for-real racing in the future, it's a bit extra as a DE car.

Just doing the occasional DE? Keep the HEP and send it.

OP
OP
Jeffwels

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

itā€™s actually less about making money and more about moving money appropriately based on the usage. I have x amount of money allocated for what I enjoy. Selling cars for other cars is not about trying to turn x into y, itā€™s about using x to continue to experience more/different things as my passion for cars evolves. Fully understand cars are almost always not an investment.

I more so donā€™t want to ruin a heritage haha. Itā€™s just another gt350 if it wasnā€™t for the paint and some stickers but itā€™s still pretty cool and a lot of people value that.

I guess option 3 would be get a black or something gt350 and build it how Iā€™d likeā€¦ tho would not be cheap Iā€™d assume to convert to cross planeā€¦ essentially honeybadgers build.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jeffwels

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Went and saw the FP350S.. turns out the car had a small incident at road Atlanta. There is a dent in the rear quarter that was poorly filled with bondo and the rear bumper seam taped. Nothing structural and underneath and inside the trunk are fine. The car is on its second owner and hasnā€™t been on track since 2021.

I go the owners info so going to contact him directly as the dealer didnā€™t have really any of the answers to my question about hours or chassis/engine, what spares etc. I did fire it up and oh man I shouldnā€™t have lol

Here are a few pics from my visit.

F2B4E9F7-37EE-4301-AEBA-774413404268.jpeg

636FCAA3-CF4E-4093-AA1F-50D10406B2A2.jpeg

66CA2204-EF36-4038-BA88-910B5E5ADAB4.jpeg

CA03E1C3-2560-4846-BEE1-0C1D6813850E.jpeg

93E65E48-454E-404A-AAA8-51C2487BD245.jpeg

7B140721-2904-461D-BA0E-EFEDFBE9F31C.jpeg

11B1B825-6EFE-4C28-BB5F-A00D4273B0E2.jpeg

68AD83D9-F324-4121-9033-20509C4C22A6.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeffwels

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Couple more of the boop spot

8028A1E9-8C8F-45E3-A4A9-AE160BC93A13.jpeg

255F279F-8DC2-4EBE-A616-8D120CB6B529.jpeg

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
itā€™s actually less about making money and more about moving money appropriately based on the usage. I have x amount of money allocated for what I enjoy. Selling cars for other cars is not about trying to turn x into y, itā€™s about using x to continue to experience more/different things as my passion for cars evolves. Fully understand cars are almost always not an investment.

I more so donā€™t want to ruin a heritage haha. Itā€™s just another gt350 if it wasnā€™t for the paint and some stickers but itā€™s still pretty cool and a lot of people value that.

I guess option 3 would be get a black or something gt350 and build it how Iā€™d likeā€¦ tho would not be cheap Iā€™d assume to convert to cross planeā€¦ essentially honeybadgers build.
I'm all for evaluating value and maximizing the amount of fun and experience we wring out of this sickness. My post wasn't as much for you as it was for everyone who insists on framing these decisions around financial return.

I get your point and if you find more value in one vs the other, then that should drive your choice. But how much residual value the car has down the road, unless you're a dedicated race team, those thoughts are kinda spurious. I guess a person could hardcore track and car with every intention of selling it after x number of seasons/sessions. But that's generally a commercial approach.

But indeed, if there's disparity between the initial price and what you'll get out of it, then that should be the focus of your evaluation criteria.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Kind of pains me to see that S not taken care of. I mean, how does that happen?

That said, the only real answer is to buy the S and keep the Heritage šŸ˜‰

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Push any car on a track and its not an if it will happen but when. So many here talk about using the cars for what they were designed for. Looks like that owner used the car for what it was for. Canā€™t knock that. The repair quality if your going to go attempt to sell the car for top dollar, now thatā€™s questionable to say the least. Very cool car though. Me personally I think Iā€™d keep the Heritage and go another option for track use if you want to do that more often. If space is an issue thatā€™s another dilemma as is if it has to be an either or option. Not a bad dilemma to have to ponder either way. :captain:

Kind of pains me to see that S not taken care of. I mean, how does that happen?

That said, the only real answer is to buy the S and keep the Heritage šŸ˜‰
Sponsored