Alternative Tires for GT350

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Same here. Got my 2019 last week with the Sport Cup 2's. I do not plan to drive in the rain, but being Florida....it happens. I priced the Super Sports and I am considering selling the Cup 2s to someone that needs a set of track tires.
Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Randy, Nice to hear from you. yes I have seen it run at DE. What tires are you running?...Street and track? The new car comes with the Cup 2 and I don't think I want to use those for every day driving. But choices are limited unless I move away from the standard factory size. My Cayman R had Michelin 4S and Pilot Sports both of which I liked for all around use. ??
Hi Rick, What tires did you settle on if anything? Like Seattle it rains incessantly in Boston at times, and our highways seems to flood ridiculously, so I think we have some similar goals on that. Even though I plan to only drive on occasional nice funday/fridays & weekends gotta put some mileage on before seasons turn cold. So for me the SC2's need to be saved for more appropriate use and I am assuming they need to be in heated space once winter comes so that means something else on the car while in cold storage.
Unfortunately my MY19 GT350 build date is in July & delivery late Aug (I'm calling it Sept) so I'm planning ahead and know I won't have too many months to play.

BTW - you were both right & wrong about the short build allocation - my orig order based on a 2nd round allocation fell through in April (much to the surprise of my Dealer & the New England Regional rep) so I went with a midwest dealer who had an allocation & would drop ship it here. So you got that right...but then a few weeks later my local dealer was offered an allocation after all. He passed on it knowing I was all set (plus he already had K0054 in the show room). Ford really does screw with their dealers - it seems a lot is going on and layoffs are not helping.

Looking forward to hearing your your MY19 shared experience as you drive it from midwest up to Seattle. Any chance you can do your breakin in Speedway IN @ IMS? That would be a helluva story (and a nice way to seat those rings).
Safe driving to you & please do share on the tire thoughts - wondering myself the best tradoff between the new handling tweaks and having street-able tires....and front rear stagger/sizing for rotation pros vs cons part of that as well.

Last edited:

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Nitto G2 555's on mine. 295/35R20 in the front and 315/35R20 in the rear. No issues here...handle well, but I'm not tracking the car.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I went with the Nitto G2 555's on mine. 295/35R20 in the front and 315/35R20 in the rear. No issues here...handle well, but I'm not tracking the car.
Thanks for sharing Tim. Did you get any aggressive or lets call it spirited street time on the SC2's to compare the G2's to?

Last edited:

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks For sharing Tim. Did you get any aggressive or lets call it spirited street time on the SC2's to compare the G2's to?
Bill - not yet! I only have 370 miles on the car, so still in the process of breaking it in. I am keeping the SC2's in case I decide to track it. I'm not far from Bowling Green, KY. There is a nice track down there near the Corvette plant. I did notice (in my opinion) a smoother ride with the G2's on it.

Tim

Sponsored

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
I am running 305/30/19 hankook rs4 on all four corners of my stock gt350 wheels. there's no problem running these, the speedo is 5% off. so I have to do 51 now to do 50, 62 to do 60, 73 to do 70 and 84 to do 80 mph. the wheel gap with the fender is a little larger now but I track and autocross so I prefer function over form.

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
What size are your Cup2s. I'm in Bothell if you want to sell them.
I will sell the new Michelin Cup 2 tires. PM me if you want to connect. The tires have 8 miles on them!

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
Same here. Got my 2019 last week with the Sport Cup 2's. I do not plan to drive in the rain, but being Florida....it happens. I priced the Super Sports and I am considering selling the Cup 2s to someone that needs a set of track tires.
I'm waiting for my 2019. But I'm thinking of doing something similar. What did you end up doing?

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
I'm waiting for my 2019. But I'm thinking of doing something similar. What did you end up doing?
I bought Michelin Sport 4S tires. 305 in front and 325 rear.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
then that's 30's right? How does the ride feel around town over less than perfect pavement with that sidewall and the R spring-rates?
Any pics to show that off? Was it Seattle rain that steered you from SS's to replace the SC2's you took off?

(it dawns on me late) these are R rims thus the 325. Right? So we non R stock rim guys are in a different bin of options.

Last edited:

Sponsored

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
Thanks. Mine is a regular GT350 with 0.5in narrower wheels. Can you please attach a pic or two of the 325s in the rear? In some other pic that I saw they appeared to bulge too much.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I have not done anything yet. I just got home from a month in Alaska and only have 300 miles on the car. If I find a buyer for the SC2s I will put on the 4s. I am waiting to read a review of someone who swapped for the $s to see how they are on the road. I would expect, being more a road tire to be quieter, more confident in the rain and perhaps less tram lining. That said, I find the SC2 pretty reasonable considering their track capability. On a 15 mile highway cruise, the car was pretty comfortable and the B&O system did a nice job managing over the tire roar.

Josh34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have not done anything yet. I just got home from a month in Alaska and only have 300 miles on the car. If I find a buyer for the SC2s I will put on the 4s. I am waiting to read a review of someone who swapped for the $s to see how they are on the road. I would expect, being more a road tire to be quieter, more confident in the rain and perhaps less tram lining. That said, I find the SC2 pretty reasonable considering their track capability. On a 15 mile highway cruise, the car was pretty comfortable and the B&O system did a nice job managing over the tire roar.
lemme know if you wanna get rid of the SC2's

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just keep the SC2.

It's FAR more than just the Cup 2 tires (which are closer to the bespoke PSS that they replace than the GT350R's Cup 2). It also performs in the wet very similarly to the PSS (vs. the GT350R's cup 2) so it's very similar in terms of daily-driveability to 2015-18 GT350s.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
For a street car in used in wet weather the 4S is a no brainer if you can sell the MPSC2’s. Better in every respect for a road car.

I just finished killing my PSC2’s on track and although they were fast they wear quickly and tramline ridiculously. The tire is purely designed to lay down good magazine numbers. Better options exist for the PSC2’s such as RE71R which are just about as fast (1 sec on a 2-mile course) but last twice as long and don’t drop off precipitously in track time like the PSC2.
Sponsored