Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Three dealers here just knew not to touch the paint. Every time as they were checking the car in, the service writer said something along the lines of: "no wash right? we usually don't wash the nice cars", etc, etc. Tells you everything you need to know.
After a rather heated phone call to the service manager a few years ago, all my cars now have the request to NOT wash the vehicle on the job card. I still ask them not to each time though. :facepalm:

IMG-7940-LI.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What advice do you all have regarding allowing the dealer to prep wash the car you are buying (new vehicle)? Allow them to do it or tell them not to and do it yourself? If it isn’t clean at dealer how would I even know if there are problems?
1610097973659.png

After that they will use a brick covered in Tcut to finish off the paintwork ... :cwl:

Joking aside, I have a version of the below (came from a group buy on detailing world) that I use every time my cars go for a service :

Hell no, it will leave water spots all over it and potentially attach it.

I bought one of these.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/collections/new-products/products/obsessed-garage-please-do-not-wash

1610043906190.png
Got this from my detailer.

AFA6D387-F9D7-4480-A068-4615296FB71D.jpeg
When the mustang came new, the dealer was instructed to use nothing other than a jet wash - and even then they managed to mess up my wheels with some chemical they applied to them (I am assuming) and letting it dry before rinsing ... :facepalm:

WD :like:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
That placard is a great idea.

I laughed when my sales guy said I get free car washes for life like it was some big selling point. The oil changes and ceramic coating I got them to throw in was a way better deal!

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Not just no but HELL NO...I write "DO NOT WASH" in black marker on blue painters tape and put it across the steering wheel where even a low paid porter cannot miss it. Plus my Service Advisor knows this as well (been using the same one for over 10yrs).

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the garage and spotted this which reminded me to snap a photo :

156-DAEA2-9677-45-AF-8195-0090005-B2-F1-F.jpg

It’s made from / printed on plastic, the other side says the same thing just in bold big text :like:

WD :like:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I've had ceramic coatings, foamed cannon this, two bucketed that. End of the day, you get chips and scratches, ish happens. I stopped throwing money at an issue that rarely changes, and if you just use common sense adds no value to a trade.

After worrying, fretting and experimenting, I'm back to where I was 5 years ago. Wash at a reliable place (have a good auto wash company here), good ol carnuba wax job ever 90 days, and Meguiars D156 after EVERY wash. Car looks like a mirror when clean.

To answer the OP, no, I would not worry about a dealer wash after maintenance or anything else. This is same as the door ding principle. After enough time, you will get one. If your paint is protected with wax or a coating, it is fine.

I think the biggest key, other than keeping a paint coating on as needed, is D156 after every wash. I did this for 10 years on a Hyuandi, that was driven in a coal terminal. Car looked great when I sold it and still looks good.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jason: I hear ya and I get it but no way I could just accept the fact that "sh!t happens."

OP: I actually washed my Shelby on delivery day at the dealer but, with all MY gear other than the pressure washer. I spent the better part of an afternoon there and watched the porters bring one dirty car or truck after another into the next bay for prep. They used the same dirty rags on everything.

One "bad wash" could damage the paint enough to require full vehicle correction and that either takes days of your time and energy or, a whole lot of your money to pay someone else to do it.

Jason: I'd rather try and minimize the issues instead of assuming that they will occur.
Sponsored