Sponsored

All season tires recommendation for 20 Bullitt to go thru mild winter.

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2021 Bronco Reservation
Haha yes. coming from Wisconsin or Chicago area, It makes it hard to justify winter tires for DMV winter. However, I'd rather compromise a little bit of performance for added safety since I am a father of 2 kids not like 10 years ago.

Regarding tires, I decided to go with A/S 3+ with stock tire setup 255 front 275 back from tire rack, and they will arrive to my local pepboys this afternoon. I will update here after this weekend with new tire sets, the only problem is that this weekend is going to be warm to see how it goes on cold days. :S

I'm in Wisconsin and got the same A/S 3+s installed on my Bullitt in early October. The grip is significantly improved in cooler temperatures. The stock Michelins didn't seem to like anything below 55 degrees or so. Lots of slippage off the line. As someone else mentioned, the A/S 3+ are definitely inferior when cornering but, honestly, this isn't a huge concern as long as you're not planning to use public roads as your own personal track ;)

They are good tires. You don't lose as much in daily driving as you might imagine when making this switch. I think you'll be happy. I do intend to put the ps4s back on in May, though.
Sponsored

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I'd be interested in what you go with and how they perform. I live on the other side of DC in Maryland
I live in somewhat in the same area in MD and went with a set of Pirelli Sottozero Serie II tires on a separate set of rims for my '19 GT PP1. This was my first mustang and even though our minters are milder than many parts of the country, I didn't want to take chances during Dec-Feb when the temps are continuously below the recommended temps for the tires that came as OEM.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The grip is significantly improved in cooler temperatures.
That reason alone is why our cars should come from the factory with those tires. But what about cabin noise, compared to the PS4Ss? Everybody seems to avoid that question. Hopefully you'll answer it :). Thank you.

AaronTV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2021 Bronco Reservation
That reason alone is why our cars should come from the factory with those tires. But what about cabin noise, compared to the PS4Ss? Everybody seems to avoid that question. Hopefully you'll answer it :). Thank you.
Well, I can answer it but I'm afraid my perspective isn't going to help you, haha. I did not notice any increased road noise compared to the stock tires. But I don't think either of them are particularly noisy. I haven't noted it as an issue in the ~3700 miles I've put on the car.

Sponsored

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I went with some different wheels, square. American Muscle FR500 style. All season 255/35/20s. New Ford Performance TPMS sensors included. It will now spin the tires very easy at 45 mph in third, in the wet. I have a winter beater to drive but wanted to have the Bullitt available in an emergency. The summer tires turn into slippery blocks of hard rubber as the temps go down. I am looking for some wider wheels now for the back and wider tires in the same style as the FR500s. The K4321 Bullitt just hit 7,000 miles.

IMG_20201116_140346.jpg

IMG_20201112_135923.jpg

IMG_20201112_140021.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I did not notice any increased road noise compared to the stock tires.
Well, A/S tires are supposed to be quieter than max summers, not noisier, so you should have noticed they were quieter, not louder. Ha ha. But thank you for your help anyway, brother. Seems like I need to ask this question to owners who at least have traveled to the desert southwest, where rough asphalt is prevalent. The difference in noise from smooth to rough asphalt is brutal. I absolutely don't have any issue with the PS4S tires on smooth asphalt either. It's the rough stuff that makes them deafening. Hopefully somebody who has experience with both tires on rough asphalt will eventually comment on cabin noise differences.

Hey Turbo23, which Toyo tires are those? Tread looks really cool, by the way. And if you could answer the same question above, it'd be great. Thx.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
The grip is significantly improved in cooler temperatures.
That reason alone is why our cars should come from the factory with those tires.
Having driven many miles on both A/S3+ and PS4s tires, I can say that I would never want to have the car come with A/S3+ standard. The A/S3+ are nice tires and all, with the benefit that the A/S3+ are OK at cold temperatures, but the handling difference to the PS4s is a massive loss in the summer. A/S3+ are totally inadequate for anything sold as having a "Performance Package". A/S3+ are also totally inadequate in the winter if you think you'll ever be out before the roads have been plowed.

Now I just have to decide what weekend I'm throwing the winter tires onto mine.

EDIT: Went back and changed indefinite pronouns, because I don't think everyone understood which tires I was referring to.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Gotcha. I was driving today (~40 degrees and dry outside, dropped into the high 20s overnight) and it was so easy to make the stock PS4 tires slip on the cold road surface -- just the tiniest amount of extra push on the gas pedal and the tires spun immediately.

Anyone know what the difference is between the AS3 and AS4?
AS4 is just an updated version of the AS3+ and is the standard tire in the C8. Presume it will do everything just a little bit better.

Also all both the Michelin and the Conti are excellent tires. When I was up in NJ I chose the AS3+, just personal preference.

As far as A/S vs. summer, yes when going full blast the summers will be superior. No big surprise there. But for driving up to 7/10th’s the A/S‘s are just fine.

Sponsored

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Having driven many miles on both A/S3+ and PS4s tires, I can say that I would never want to have the car come with A/S3+ standard. They're nice tires and all, with the benefit that they're OK at cold temperatures, but the handling difference to the PS4s is a massive loss in the summer. They're totally inadequate for anything sold as having a "Performance Package". They're also totally inadequate in the winter if you think you'll ever be out before the roads have been plowed.

Now I just have to decide what weekend I'm throwing the winter tires onto mine.
I used the ps4s last winter here but it was a mild winter. They werent happy in the 30 to 40 deg temps though. The ps3s i used on my 15 PP gt ....work great here. No snow or ice. I will do a seasonal change every yr and save the ps4 for heat and fun!

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I'm glad to report that A/S 3+ tires definitely had a much better grip very early in the morning with low 40 deg than stock 4S, and it is quieter than 4S tires as well. I did not really have a chance to test its performance, but I'd say there is no noticeable difference in normal driving on local and some highway.

Overall I am very happy with this decision and thanks for all.

Now next question is whether I want to keep the 4S tires for summer to change it back, to just sell them to cover up my spending. I was swapping summer and winter tires for my old mustang in Chicago areas without hesitation, but it is kinda hard to justify swapping between A/S and summer for the seasonal changes. I just never thought about it.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
I'm glad to report that A/S 3+ tires definitely had a much better grip very early in the morning with low 40 deg than stock 4S, and it is quieter than 4S tires as well. I did not really have a chance to test its performance, but I'd say there is no noticeable difference in normal driving on local and some highway.

Overall I am very happy with this decision and thanks for all.

Now next question is whether I want to keep the 4S tires for summer to change it back, to just sell them to cover up my spending. I was swapping summer and winter tires for my old mustang in Chicago areas without hesitation, but it is kinda hard to justify swapping between A/S and summer for the seasonal changes. I just never thought about it.
Are you remounting tires or swapping tire and wheel sets?

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Are you remounting tires or swapping tire and wheel sets?
This time I just mounted A/S 3+ tires on the stock wheel since I did not plan to keep the stock tires.

Now with some people's recommendation of swapping between summer and A/S, I am debating myself. I will be swapping tire and wheel as aset together if I decide to keep stock tires for summer rather than keep remounting two different tires on the same wheels.

Will it be just better selling stock tires especially when I do not feel much of a performance difference with my driving style? I am not planning to take this car to tracks at all at least for next couple of years since my daughter is still an infant. (I won't have my private time to spend in the tracks for a while).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Will it be just better selling stock tires especially when I do not feel much of a performance difference with my driving style? I am not planning to take this car to tracks at all at least for next couple of years since my daughter is still an infant. (I won't have my private time to spend in the tracks for a while).
You just answered your own question. :) Take the cash now for holiday expenditures. When the time comes buy a wheel/tire combo which will hopefully save you some $$.
Sponsored