Sponsored

All season tires recommendation for 20 Bullitt to go thru mild winter.

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Hi.

I have just purchased 2020 Bullitt w/t ricaro seat over last weekend.

I have owned a brand new 2008 Bullitt as my first mustang then moved onto the used 2008 GT500 a couple of years after since I wanted to have more power, but now I am back to 2020 Bullitt again. Even though GT500 was an awesome car to drive and race when I was young without kids, I thought the Bullitt would serve me much better now. (I just turned 40 and now have two kids). :D and it does!

This has been an awesome driving for the past few days with all stock Bullitt, and I seriously believe this Bullitt drives faster or at least better than my old modified(suspensions, tires, rims, and exhaust) 2008 GT500 on roads.

The only thing that I am thinking about changing is tires. I live in northern VA and the winter here is very mild. Not much snow at all (last year we did not have any), but it could be cold and slippery from time to time. (black ice is often seen throughout the winter) This is the DD that I want to take everywhere unless it snows heavily. So I am planning to change the stock tires (Michelin performance summer tires) to the A/S tires with a better than average snow rating.

So far I narrowed down my search to Michellin pilot sport A/S 3+ with the same stock size (255 front 275 back) and to Continental extreme contact dws06 with the same stock size. does anyone here have experience with any of these tires? or have a better recommendation than these? I used to have a separate set of rims mounted with winter tires when I lived in the Chicago area 10 years ago, but I think it is a waste of winter tires in northern VA since it hardly snows. and the winter tires take away the joy of driving too.

one last question is what to do with these stock almost new tires (only have 200 miles on it so far). Do you guys sell here in this forum community or craigslist? or just keep in the garage just in case.

Any input or experience of you will be appreciated.

Thanks and enjoy driving!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Switching to a set of A/S year round will definitely help in the winter but will hinder summer fun.
I lived in nova for a few years and put them on my 13, while it was good for the winter when it warmed up the driving experience was a stark difference from the A/S to a set of summers.

if your dead set on just leaving A/S then ok but I would highly recommend keeping the summers and swapping back out. Majority of tire shops I’ve been to will do a full swap for 75 bucks or if I remember from last time I did it.

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Switching to a set of A/S year round will definitely help in the winter but will hinder summer fun.
I lived in nova for a few years and put them on my 13, while it was good for the winter when it warmed up the driving experience was a stark difference from the A/S to a set of summers.

if your dead set on just leaving A/S then ok but I would highly recommend keeping the summers and swapping back out. Majority of tire shops I’ve been to will do a full swap for 75 bucks or if I remember from last time I did it.
Thanks for your input. So you prefer summer tires way more than A/S tires with warm weather.
If I do as you suggest, do you think getting A/S is still better than winter tires for the sake of warm winter in NOVA area? I did not consider getting winter tires for the weather here being too warm to justify not like in Chicago.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Unless you drive extremely hard, or track the car, you'll be better off with just UHP A/S tires. They're a lot more capable in summer than most people think. They associate A/S tires with Camry tires, but they couldn't be more wrong. In my case, I'll wait for the even better A/S4 tires, which reportedly will be available in our PP1 sizes in 6 months. I'll try to wear the stock PS4Ss in a year, and just leave them at Discount Tire. Not worth the hassle to sell bulky tires without a truck.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Thanks for your input. So you prefer summer tires way more than A/S tires with warm weather.
If I do as you suggest, do you think getting A/S is still better than winter tires for the sake of warm winter in NOVA area? I did not consider getting winter tires for the weather here being too warm to justify not like in Chicago.
I have never gotten dedicated snow tires. Only a/s grew up in the Michigan area with a few years by you and yeah full blown winters would have probably been easier but I made it through. I agree that a/s are great all rounders but having used them back to back same day same car the summers definitely hook better and are much more confidence inspiring through some twisty back roads.
I have done this with my 16 and 13 both full catless exhaust intake and tunes.
My 19 I’ll keep the summers and get another set of full summers when these burn out. I’ll only get something else if I move to an area that dictates otherwise would be necessary.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I had both A/S3+ and DWS06 tires on my BMWs. Both were fine for dry and wet driving. Both were OK on light (1/2") snow. The DWS were horrible in the one ice storm when I got caught out without the snow tires I ran 4 months of the year.

After all of it, I preferred the A/S3+ to the DWS06 overall.

And, that being said, I have a set of Boss 302 wheels with a square 245/45-19 Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 performance winter tire setup for my Mustang in the cold months. The PA5 beats the hell out of both of the others and it's still fun to drive on the nice days.

Full disclosure: I have a 4x4 Tacoma with true winter Blizzaks that I drive to work daily and anytime the roads are crummy at all on the weekends.

Last edited:

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I already checked that thread, but it is more about getting a new set of rims with winter tires. I want to get the A/S tires on current stock rims. :D

Thanks for your concerns though.
Gotcha. I was driving today (~40 degrees and dry outside, dropped into the high 20s overnight) and it was so easy to make the stock PS4 tires slip on the cold road surface -- just the tiniest amount of extra push on the gas pedal and the tires spun immediately.

Anyone know what the difference is between the AS3 and AS4?

Sponsored
OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Gotcha. I was driving today (~40 degrees and dry outside, dropped into the high 20s overnight) and it was so easy to make the stock PS4 tires slip on the cold road surface -- just the tiniest amount of extra push on the gas pedal and the tires spun immediately.

This is exactly why I want a/s tires instead of summer ps4 even though there isnt really any snow. I decided to go with as3+ for my new Bullitt before it gets too late. Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input.

And according to the my quick Google search, as4 is designed with more track in mind (better dray performance) while as3+ is more for well around tire. More importantly as4 is not available yet. :p

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
To address your specific question, I've had multiple sets of both the Conti's and Michi's you note. Both are good; the DWS better in light snow and the Michi's are better in the dry. The DWS 06 are quieter and ride a little smoother. No bad choice on your two options, both are great tires.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sanjay
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1 6M
Hi.

I have just purchased 2020 Bullitt w/t ricaro seat over last weekend...
Hi,

I'd be interested in what you go with and how they perform. I live on the other side of DC in Maryland, and having lived in northern Wisconsin, am having difficulty wrapping my head on anything but the summer tires here in the DMV.

Like you mentioned though, these past couple of days definitely noticed some slippage.

Thanks!

OP
OP
destiny.seeker

destiny.seeker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hoyoon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Hi,

I'd be interested in what you go with and how they perform. I live on the other side of DC in Maryland, and having lived in northern Wisconsin, am having difficulty wrapping my head on anything but the summer tires here in the DMV.

Like you mentioned though, these past couple of days definitely noticed some slippage.

Thanks!
Haha yes. coming from Wisconsin or Chicago area, It makes it hard to justify winter tires for DMV winter. However, I'd rather compromise a little bit of performance for added safety since I am a father of 2 kids not like 10 years ago.

Regarding tires, I decided to go with A/S 3+ with stock tire setup 255 front 275 back from tire rack, and they will arrive to my local pepboys this afternoon. I will update here after this weekend with new tire sets, the only problem is that this weekend is going to be warm to see how it goes on cold days. :S

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The turn in feel of the AS3s is numb compared to the PS4s. You can feel the softer sidewall to the point it feels like the tire will come off the rim in hard cornering.
At what cold tire pressures, and how many Gs of cornering? I don't track my car, and I typically push my car to about 0.9Gs max on the canyons, so I assume an UHPA/S tire should be enough for that... and not only last much longer, but be quieter. Not sure I want an A/S3+ tire after reading how noisy they are.

The A/S4 is the successor to the A/S3, so they should be very similar. But the A/S4 is not available on PP1 sizes yet; I read somewhere than in about 6 more months.

I decided to go with as3+ for my new Bullitt before it gets too late.
Hey, can you please post cabin noise differences between the PS4Ss and the A/S3+s? Read the latter are hardly any quieter than the PS4Ss, if at all. My main motivation to change tires is road noise, but a close second is grip in cooler temperatures, as well as better tire life, and wet performance. I know PS4Ss are the quietest max performance summer tires... but they're still noisy as hell on the super crappy TX highways I travel most of the time. Some are downright deafening. So want a relatively quiet tire, which seems to eliminate the A/S3+s, and also the A/S4s. Of the available choices at the moment, the DWS06 might be the best choice for me. During my research, the best such tire is the Eagle Exhilarate, but unfortunately, it's not made in rear PP1 size. It's the quietest, reportedly, and it basically matches the A/S3+s in dry performance, and blows all of the competition in wet performance, which is nice.

the DWS better in light snow and the Michi's are better in the dry. The DWS 06 are quieter and ride a little smoother. No bad choice on your two options, both are great tires.
Thank you for confirming that. I'm going to replace my tires in about a year from now, which hopefully means being able to read reviews of new entries for our cars, like the A/S4s and Exhilarates. And maybe even the DWS06 successor, because it's getting long in the tooth. We'll see. But if things stay the same, I'd probably go for the DWS06s. I don't like their tread pattern, but seems like the best option right now.
Sponsored