All season tires for supercharger

Frrst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Firstly, let me start by saying I've spent a week trying to find a specific answer for my question with no luck surfing forums.

Secondly: I have a 2020 performance pack 1 automatic GT with magneride, I am considering a Roush phase 2 supercharger, 750 hp, and going to Apex EC-7 19x10 wheels w/ 285/35r19 Michelin sport 3+ a/s tires all around (unless someone has a better idea). I live in Oklahoma, the weather rain wise is volatile, and it gets cold here, so summer slicks are pretty much out (or relegated to a second set on the stock pp1 wheels, which I'm not a huge fan of the staggered setup. Buying two additional wheel/tire sets is too far.). Use of the car is a daily driver but I've always wanted something supercharged. With the frequency of thunderstorms here for pretty close to half the year, shitty wet handling summer tires seems like a super bad idea.

My question is: are the Michelin a/s sports even doable with that much hp? Like am I going to have to do half throttle launches to not fishtail all over the place?
Should I look at a lower hp SC, or is it basically don't bother with a blower if you're going to run a/s?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond.

I don't have any experience with FI. Opinions seems to vary wildly. Some guidance would be appreciated
Sponsored

Last edited:

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a 2015 V6 Mustang with 300 horsepower to a 2019 5.0. I swapped my 19x9.5 wheels with 275/40/19 General Gmax AS05 tires from the V6 to the GT. The all seasons were perfectly fine for the V6 but can easily be overpowered by the GT. The Michelins might be a little better but I wouldn't want the all seasons all year round with a boosted setup.

The all seasons are great in the rain, though, so if I was in your shoes I would buy all seasons for the PP1 wheels and get summer tires for the new wheels.

OP
OP

Frrst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Why do you think an AS is any better in the rain than a summer performance tire like the PS4S or PSS?

If you're going to do a power adder get used to the idea of not having much grip on anything but a DR. If you don't like that idea, stay NA.
Well, also cold performance (not snow or ice, I can call out for that) but the winter here is below freezing for a significant period, and below 50 for at least a third of the year. So a/s or two sets are kind of my options.

I could go the NA route. If I do that I'd still be shooting for 600 hp (cams, Cai, tune. See where I'm at, port the intake. See where I'm at, long tube headers). Edelbrock stage 1 puts me at 623, and will drive more or less stock if I baby it.

Idk. I'm not set on a blower. I want at least 100 more hp than stock, and I would like a single set of tires year round that aren't complete ass under additional power.

OP
OP

Frrst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I had the AS3's on my Mazda6, they are great tires. I was able to go up icy hills in my FWD sedan while all the Karen's in their AWD Karen-mobiles were doing the slip and slide. That being said, the Mazda had 185 horsepower. People here are breaking free on PS4S's in the summer once they go FI. There's not an all-season tire in the world that can handle that kind of power.

As for the wet, I can personally vouch for the excellent handling of the sumner Michelin's, but my motors are all stock. My advice would be a winter/summer set. I would also go wider than 285, you can get 305 square with the right offset (ask around).

I was looking at doing 305 square. Even with the right offset, you still have to do quite a bit of front end suspension w(seems like so much camber required so as to negate the extra width, or stupid big spacers) Or go narrower wheels up front and lose the ability to fully rotate, which while not a deal breaker, would be a bummer. There's also exactly one 305 a/s that I can see, Cooper zeon gs3-r1. 10mm smaller profile makes me think I'd have to lower or it'd look stupid and that's a whole 'nother rabbit whole of shit to make it work right.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Then I'll go NA 550hp or so and deal with all seasons I think.
You're still going to struggle to put power down. Get two sets of wheels. I'm being blunt because I don't encourage unrealistic expectations.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I would like a single set of tires year round that aren't complete ass under additional power.
I was going to say something like normal people put pulley and belt on superchargers, not tires...

Since mindlessly mashing the happy pedal to the floor seems to be your reason to live, buy just 2 rear wheels for summer use and put softer compound tires on them. Wheels are cheap, as low as 100 each. You can't seriously expect us to believe you can't find some spare change in your $10,000 blower budget since you intend to ruin them before their time. And anyway even on the hottest 105F in the shade Okie summer sun the soft tires will also let go unless they are up to working temp first.

Are you really so incapable of controlling throttle inputs based on weather, temp, dampness factors?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
305 square is a track (road course) setup. I have it. Don't bother with it unless you those kinds of intentions in a relatively serious way. It's not worth the tramlining and reduced hydroplaning resistance for just the street, and definitely not the strip. For a fun NA street car, run 285/35R19 square on 19x10s and a sticky tire on the summer set. Get a different set for the colder months with either a true winter tire, or an AS if you really don't get much snow.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, let's face it....you will need a second set of tires at least. Most of us that live in states that have cold, rainy months have two sets of wheels and tires because changing tires back and forth to the same set of wheels will get old fast. Buy some cheap wheels for the winter and run your all seasons/winter tires.....heck they are going to be dirty all the time anyway from the wet snow :). This advice goes for a bone stock vehicle also. Your tendency to mash the throttle to the floor directly impacts what tires you should have on your vehicle. Stomping it and expecting to hook, means drag tires period. Rolling into the power, allows you to now consider other tires.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
A second set of wheels... or a beater to drive when it snows/ices.

All seasons are your single compromise summer/winter tire if you have to drive in snow/ice a little. They won't grip as well in warm conditions as a summer tire would and can be outperformed in the rain by some summer tires. In general they wouldn't be a good choice for 700rwhp.

Summer tires are good for warm/cool conditions, rain or shine if you can avoid driving in freezing precipitation and your winters are generally mild and not sub freezing for many days. The MP4S is excellent in wet conditions, but they (and similar summer tires) can crack if you run them in freezing temps too much.

Oklahoma gets ice, and you don't want to attempt icy or snowy roads with any summer-only tire.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
You need two sets of wheels/tires. Winter tires in the cold months, and drag radials or AT LEAST summer performance tires in the warmer months.

Honestly IMO don't bother adding a supercharger if your gonna stay on all season tires. You're just going to spin and never be able to use the power.

OP
OP

Frrst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I was going to say something like normal people put pulley and belt on superchargers, not tires...

Since mindlessly mashing the happy pedal to the floor seems to be your reason to live, buy just 2 rear wheels for summer use and put softer compound tires on them. Wheels are cheap, as low as 100 each. You can't seriously expect us to believe you can't find some spare change in your $10,000 blower budget since you intend to ruin them before their time. And anyway even on the hottest 105F in the shade Okie summer sun the soft tires will also let go unless they are up to working temp first.

Are you really so incapable of controlling throttle inputs based on weather, temp, dampness factors?

I have never had a supercharged vehicle. I would imagine that yes, I will learn to control throttle inputs thanks for being uselessly sarcastic.

I understand just about any tire is gonna cut loose at some point/without the right conditions.

You know, I figured the 3k I put aside for wheels and tires is good for now? But sure.

And really cheap shitty wheels are $100 each.

OP
OP

Frrst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
OP, let's face it....you will need a second set of tires at least. Most of us that live in states that have cold, rainy months have two sets of wheels and tires because changing tires back and forth to the same set of wheels will get old fast. Buy some cheap wheels for the winter and run your all seasons/winter tires.....heck they are going to be dirty all the time anyway from the wet snow :). This advice goes for a bone stock vehicle also. Your tendency to mash the throttle to the floor directly impacts what tires you should have on your vehicle. Stomping it and expecting to hook, means drag tires period. Rolling into the power, allows you to now consider other tires.

Yeah,probably. Sigh. I dunno cheap ass wheels sounds kind of sketch to me.

I mean I know I'm not gonna be able to straight up mash it. More concerned if like flooring@speed is gonna be an issue. Also if I can literally NEVER floor it...? Sure I'm not the only one that thinks that's kind of lame. Why spend the money for all that power?
Sponsored