2020 Bullitt Mustang

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
I'm in North Bend now.....used to live in Everett a while back. I will most likely take your advice and get a set of Mach base wheels and go from there. I'll be driving it some during the cold season (not near freezing though). Thanks much for your input....I do appreciate it.
Freezing is not the defining point. The usual recommendation is to switch to winters when you can expect temps in your area to regularly get below 7C/45F.
Granted, good all seasons will do better than summer tires, but not by much.
And both are shite in really wintery weather.
All that being said, I’ve gathered that in recent years all seasons have gotten better for winter use, so maybe as you are in Washington you might get by if you’re careful about what you choose, provided you stay off the road when it gets really cold or snowy and you take it easy whenever it’s below 45.
And forget about driving into the mountains.
Question, though, not just for you but for anyone who recoils agains the very idea of winter tires: Why compromise, why not just get high performance winters if you’re going to run two sets of tires anyway?
There’s some great options to choose from, starting with but not limited to Blizzaks, a very highly regarded high performance winter tire.

Last edited:

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I'm in North Bend now.....used to live in Everett a while back. I will most likely take your advice and get a set of Mach base wheels and go from there. I'll be driving it some during the cold season (not near freezing though). Thanks much for your input....I do appreciate it.
Post up pictures of your car when you get a chance!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
285/35 and 275/40 will generally fit on 11's. check the specs of the tires you want to use. The smart move is to buy a set of 9 or 9.5" width wheels and put real winters or A/S on them.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I just put my ps4s stock setup in storage.
Went with some Continental DWS 06 Plus
275/40R19 all the way around on RTR Tech 7 , 9.5” wide wheels.
I’ve put about 75 miles in them this weekend in 40-50’s degree weather.
I’m very impressed so far.
Well composed, lots of grip.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I’m very impressed so far.
Well composed, lots of grip.
You can say that about any name brand UHP A/S tire.

Dedicated winter tires are unneeded unless you live in an area with lots of snow and no road plowing.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Granted, good all seasons will do better than summer tires, but not by much.
And both are shite in really wintery weather.
This can't be said too many times. All season tires even on AWD suck on any kind of snow. Two sets are best, also lot more convenient to switch.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Been seriously thinking about replacing these tires with tires that are more all-season and able to handle some wet. I did a little research and it looks like the only real option I could find was the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.....and these are still rated as summer tires.
If you are into numbers you might want to watch these two videos:

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
A/S for driving in colder weather. Letting the summer tires "warm up" probably isn't a good plan for temps too far below 45°. If you're actually planning to drive it through wintery weather (snow, etc...) get winter tires. I just put on a set of Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires for winter. They won't see precipitation. If they do, I screwed up, because I should have been driving another vehicle. The purpose is to prevent my Mustang from sitting all winter in the garage, as it did the past two years. So yeah, A/S for cold weather, not winter weather.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you regularly drive on snow covered roads, 3 inches or more, yes get a winter tire. If you normally drive on plowed roads A/S fit the bill.

Sponsored

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Dedicated winter tires are unneeded unless you live in an area with lots of snow and no road plowing.
If we are speaking generally, and we are, this is absolutely incorrect.
The main issue is not snow but temperature.
Winter tires use rubber compounds that are better at lower temperatures.
Individual M+ S tires may approach them in their cold weather capabilities but, generally speaking, they don’t.
Period.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
If you regularly drive on snow covered roads, 3 inches or more, yes get a winter tire. If you normally drive on plowed roads A/S fit the bill.
Having nearly crashed a brand new 2012 Mustang with all seasons due to black ice going about 15 mph, I will stick with snow tires in winter thank you.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Having nearly crashed a brand new 2012 Mustang with all seasons due to black ice going about 15 mph, I will stick with snow tires in winter thank you.
This!
The cold weather months aren’t the time of year to be thinking about how fast you can go but arriving safely after a stress-free drive.
Take it fron Dana Pants, don’t be lulled into a false sense of security buying all seasons, get the right tire for the task, get winter tires.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A/S tires certainly are the worst of both worlds.
That’s an old argument and no longer holds water. Have you ever driven on Michelin A/S 3’s or 4’s. On the street the is very little difference between these and MP4’s.

If you have frequent deep snow go with winter tires. If you only have infrequent light to moderate snow (1-3 inches) A/S tires are perfect.

Lastly, I know folks like to brag about driving their summer tires below recommended temperatures. Of course you can, but as many have also found out, doing so can be dangerous and costly.
Sponsored

Last edited: