All Season Tire Help/Recomendations

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Hi All. New guy here. Just got my Mach1 with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's and I am in the Seattle area. (I have the Handling Package). Been seriously thinking about replacing these tires with tires that are more all-season and able to handle some wet. I did a little research and it looks like the only real option I could find was the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.....and these are still rated as summer tires.
Any suggestions? Has anyone done a comparo between the Cup 2's and 4S's in the wet? Is anyone aware of any other mfg's tires that are all-season rated or at least better in the wet? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
there are a zillion All season tires to choose from that fit the HP wheels. And there are a zillion threads on A/S tires. Have you read any of the many pages of threads on the topic? There is a whole dedicated section on tires and wheels. Your mach1 is nothing special/unique vis-a-vis GT/EB in that regard.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I contacted Michelin and Continental asking this question and they both said get an all-season tire, not a PS4S or similar; both said their summer tires, regardless of model, are not meant to be driven at temps below 45F.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Hi All. New guy here. Just got my Mach1 with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's and I am in the Seattle area. (I have the Handling Package). Been seriously thinking about replacing these tires with tires that are more all-season and able to handle some wet. I did a little research and it looks like the only real option I could find was the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.....and these are still rated as summer tires.
Any suggestions? Has anyone done a comparo between the Cup 2's and 4S's in the wet? Is anyone aware of any other mfg's tires that are all-season rated or at least better in the wet? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Get the PS4s, and just drive carefully until the tires have warmed up. They handle rain extremely well.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Welcome and congrats on the Mach 1. Where in Seattle are you? I’m up in Everett.
there is no comparison really between the cup 2’s and any other tire. These specific cup 2’s are not meant for lower temps or wet roads. I pulled mine off with 30 miles and went with michelin ps4’s. My car will be parked during the winter months so I could get away with these. For HP cars I think the best option is buy a set of base Mach wheels that open you up to a much bigger selection of tires. The wide HP wheels really narrow you down to very few choices. I prefer michelin tires so I would go with their as4 on base Mach wheels.

Get the PS4s, and just drive carefully until the tires have warmed up. They handle rain extremely well.
The problem for OP is in Seattle we have too many days under 45 degress

Sponsored

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Welcome and congrats on the Mach 1. Where in Seattle are you? I’m up in Everett.
there is no comparison really between the cup 2’s and any other tire. These specific cup 2’s are not meant for lower temps or wet roads. I pulled mine off with 30 miles and went with michelin ps4’s. My car will be parked during the winter months so I could get away with these. For HP cars I think the best option is buy a set of base Mach wheels that open you up to a much bigger selection of tires. The wide HP wheels really narrow you down to very few choices. I prefer michelin tires so I would go with their as4 on base Mach wheels.

The tires warm up quickly, I live in the mountains of WNC, our temps have been below 45 all week and after about 10 min of driving the tires are running 70-80 degrees. A/S tires do only moderately better in cold weather, and none of them, that fit the HP Wheels, handle rain/hydroplaning better than the PS4s

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
Get some nice rims and winter tires.
Lots of info and advice on here about that, including plenty of advice about why you shouldn’t settle for “all seasons” (cause they ain’t).
Just do some searches.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Get some nice rims and winter tires.
Lots of info and advice on here about that, including plenty of advice about why you shouldn’t settle for “all seasons” (cause they ain’t).
Just do some searches.
A/S tires certainly are the worst of both worlds.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mach1

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is an obvious bias against A/S tires on this forum. The A/S4 Michelin is a good tire so is the GY Eagle A/S F1 and the new Eagle Exhilarate has very good reviews. I have the F1's and am very satisfied with it's ability to handle all seasons.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have ps4’s on my Mach 1 because they are the best tire for it’s intended purpose. My Audi which needs to perform safely 365 days a year is on as3+ Michelin’s. We get a lot of cold temps, certainly below the operating range stated by the manufacturer for ps4’s. We also get a lot of rain and do get enough ice and snow that if you have to depend on the one car, ps4’s won’t cut it. The tires I replaced on the Audi were pirelli’s that are equivalent to ps4’s. They did not inspire much confidence in near freezing temps. My as3+ handle getting thrown into corners just fine in the summer and do well in the snow and heavy rains I’ve subjected them to so far.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is an obvious bias against A/S tires on this forum. The A/S4 Michelin is a good tire so is the GY Eagle A/S F1 and the new Eagle Exhilarate has very good reviews. I have the F1's and am very satisfied with it's ability to handle all seasons.
Those eagle exhilarate’s look very similar to my Michelin’s. The only problem I see is sizing for the HP wheels but I agree either of those would be a good choice for a Mach 1 in this part of the country.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I'm in North Bend now.....used to live in Everett a while back. I will most likely take your advice and get a set of Mach base wheels and go from there. I'll be driving it some during the cold season (not near freezing though). Thanks much for your input....I do appreciate it.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
And neither tire fits the MACH1 with the HP. You have to buy different size wheels to accommodate them.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
I’m going thur the same thing.thinking of getting PS4S and drive my terminator when it really cold out 😜
Sponsored