ALL Actual Differences between Mach 1 Non-HP and Mach 1 HP

0wen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Owen
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, MX-5 30th Anniversary
The HP Package is all about the awesome looking rims(CUP 2 trash for street, you need Michelin PS4S or similar tires), that front lip, gurney flap and the wheel moldings.

And I am gladly daily driving with all these on it is very comfortable, stock HP height is fine but if you lower anymore your front lip is a goner. I angle my approach its not bad though only steep driveways.

I disagree about the gauges, I think they fit the car perfectly and look great.
Totally agree that the Cup2s aren't suitable at all for the street, I went with the PS4S in standard HP sizes and have been happy with them.

I've been OK with stock HP ride height too, our roads are infested with speed bumps where I live, but going slow and being careful with angles is working for me... so far..!

If I'm honest, if I thought I could get the gauges I'd do it.
Unfortunately RHD dash trim panels only come in the 3 vent version, and I'm not even sure the wiring is there as no UK S550 variant ever had any gauges.
Maybe I'm just rationalising the fact it's not really possible and trying to making myself feel better! :)

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I noticed you are from Bulgaria, so assuming it's not a USDM import, you will also be missing the Torsen, 3.73 gears (if you are an M6) and the centre gauges :frown:

WD :like:
At Least, Better than no Mach 1 at all.

OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
The HP Package is all about the awesome looking rims(CUP 2 trash for street, you need Michelin PS4S or similar tires), that front lip, gurney flap and the wheel moldings.

And I am gladly daily driving with all these on it is very comfortable, stock HP height is fine but if you lower anymore your front lip is a goner. I angle my approach its not bad though only steep driveways.

I disagree about the gauges, I think they fit the car perfectly and look great.
I kind of like the PS4s but I have noticed they really need to warm-up before they become reliable. In Spring / Autumn when you get cold mornings and a hot day, in the morning they really need to be driven like for 30min to warm up good, otherwise they tend to slide. During the summer, there are no issues, they get hot very fast and are reliable and pleasant to drive even on track.

Height IS AN ISSUE here. I already have replaced the underbelly pan that protects the oil pan because it broke within 1 year from purchase on our roads. I don't have issues with the non-HP front splitter, apart from the fact there are no parking sensors and one needs to be really careful when approaching the curbs on the parking lot... With the HP splitter, which protrudes even more, for a daily will be nightmarish around... we'll see....

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
There's other guys in Europe who have done similar in other countries, I think @Charlemagne did that with his HP wheels etc.
Yup, that was before Velocity-group.de listed them on their eshop, they have pretty good prices and arrange it basically for you (even cheaper but longer lasting shipping in a cargo container).
https://www.velocity-group.de/en/ti...h-1-handling-pack-10-5-x-19-und-11-x-19-black

I bought them for $1000 from Levittown, with free US shipping to warehouse and $600 shipping in a container to me. Little bit something for customs and deducted VAT so it was pretty sweet back then. But took 6 months too.

Honestly it was the only thing I was intrigued from the Handling Pack.
Maybe nowadays I would choose SVE MHP1 with better front offset too, they're glossy graphite instead of matte but lot cheaper without those plastic lip mouldings (630 € on Velocity-group, lol).

Last edited:

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I kind of like the PS4s but I have noticed they really need to warm-up before they become reliable. In Spring / Autumn when you get cold mornings and a hot day, in the morning they really need to be driven like for 30min to warm up good, otherwise they tend to slide. During the summer, there are no issues, they get hot very fast and are reliable and pleasant to drive even on track.

Height IS AN ISSUE here. I already have replaced the underbelly pan that protects the oil pan because it broke within 1 year from purchase on our roads. I don't have issues with the non-HP front splitter, apart from the fact there are no parking sensors and one needs to be really careful when approaching the curbs on the parking lot... With the HP splitter, which protrudes even more, for a daily will be nightmarish around... we'll see....
My 2 cents -

If clearance is a serious issue in your area, I'd keep the stock non-HP springs on it. Many people don't realize you lose .6" in ride hight alone when going to HP wheel and tire set up because of the smaller diameter.

And just so you know, the HP springs are .4" lower than the stock non HP springs. The Steeda Duals rates are .75" lower than stock non HP springs.

A 1" drop isn't as much as it sounds. But, it makes daily driving with the HP splitter pretty much a non starter.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Its all about that approach angle with HP ride height. Also stay away from underground parking structures(especially cities like LA), I almost destroyed mine there. But otherwise I just quickly approach a curve at 45 degree angle (if its more steep and I have room Ill go even further at the last second being parallel to the curve. Its become a habit the other day I was driving a Sedan and I was angling my approach without noticing lol. Getting into my driveway my rear tire bounces up into the air I go with some good speed into it but no scrape.

So my only advice the lip is plastic and flexible dont be scared to drive it around town. Just be mindful when its steep and angle your approach the best you can.

OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
@JetGray_Mach1 , @AZ_Ryan , thank you both for comments, and sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

On the angled approach and underground parking... I've been practicing it since day 1. My previous cars since 2010 were all SUVs so it was kind of hard to get used to be gentle and mindful where I'm going, and I've learned it more or less the hard way. We have tons of speed bumps all over the place, but the worst part is that you can't see behind the speed bump what is there. Sometimes it is just steep, and the bump is low on approach, but high on exit - guess what - scrapping the belly... Other times - there's a pothole behind the bump - even better...
All in all... insurance should cover it :D

Ride height and springs - yes, I was thinking the same thing - not reducing the height, however I got into a discussion with a BMW fan friend I have and he was like "Lower but harder springs you get sufficient clearance. When the springs are softer, especially upfront, the engine is heavy enough to get softer springs pressed, and you get a bump upfront. So with softer springs you have to go slower almost to a stop to avoid jumping up and down and risking a hit. On the other hand harder springs change the comfort of the ride to the extent you can't discuss comfort anymore". So that's why I thought about the dual-rates, but having a second thought, if they are "comfortable" at the beginning, then they will contract and won't have a lot of benefit afterall... Is my way of thinking adequate?

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
@JetGray_Mach1 , @AZ_Ryan , thank you both for comments, and sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

On the angled approach and underground parking... I've been practicing it since day 1. My previous cars since 2010 were all SUVs so it was kind of hard to get used to be gentle and mindful where I'm going, and I've learned it more or less the hard way. We have tons of speed bumps all over the place, but the worst part is that you can't see behind the speed bump what is there. Sometimes it is just steep, and the bump is low on approach, but high on exit - guess what - scrapping the belly... Other times - there's a pothole behind the bump - even better...
All in all... insurance should cover it :D

Ride height and springs - yes, I was thinking the same thing - not reducing the height, however I got into a discussion with a BMW fan friend I have and he was like "Lower but harder springs you get sufficient clearance. When the springs are softer, especially upfront, the engine is heavy enough to get softer springs pressed, and you get a bump upfront. So with softer springs you have to go slower almost to a stop to avoid jumping up and down and risking a hit. On the other hand harder springs change the comfort of the ride to the extent you can't discuss comfort anymore". So that's why I thought about the dual-rates, but having a second thought, if they are "comfortable" at the beginning, then they will contract and won't have a lot of benefit afterall... Is my way of thinking adequate?
Well technically the Dual Rates have a stiffer spring rate than the factory Handling Pack springs. They were described to me by the Steeda rep as a track oriented spring with acceptable road manners. So even though the dual rate design makes them less harsh, they aren't necessarily a comfort spring either.

Of course comfort is subjective. I personally daily my M1, so I'm not sure I'd like the dual rates. But many people here love them.

Just so you know I have the Steeda Sport springs on mine. They are progressive up front and dual rate in the back. They lower the car and improve handling, but have a spring rate very similar to factory non HP which gives a nice ride. Steeda describes them as more of a daily driving oriented spring that you can take to the track. That said I've learned to be ginger going over speed bumps and use good approach angles...

Which is why I wouldn't recommend any lowering spring if you live in an area where speed bumps are already a known problem.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
non-hp m1 to at least the specs of the track pack
There is nothing to be gained.
Wider tires are applicable across the board incl EcoBoost. The spring rates are too close to make a difference.

Go spend money on fixing the IRS and Diff mounts. That is the only place to find value.

kb19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350r, mach 1
Thank you, guys, I have overseen the suspension details were indeed listed in the supplement. Glad it is mechanical bolt-on differences only and nothing hidden. I am planning to upgrade my non-hp m1 to at least the specs of the track pack, still keeping it daily driveable and comfortable.
Cheers!
🍻
The Ford wheels are extremely heavy. A worthwhile upgrade may be lighter wheels to improve handling and performance since you are spending the money.
Sponsored