2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
F = ma

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
2fakfd.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Watching it again, he was definitely not gorilla shifting. He was quick shifting (and says he was). I can't tell you the number of times I've shifted like this. Slight throttle lift VERY fast and then back to the floor. Gotta be very quick. He even shows you in this video:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Watching it again, he was definitely not gorilla shifting. He was quick shifting (and says he was). I can't tell you the number of times I've shifted like this. Slight throttle lift VERY fast and then back to the floor. Gotta be very quick. He even shows you in this video:
what happens if you are not "very fast", or "very quick" ? Does this mean 30-40 lbs of force transfers from the (remote) shifter to the shift fork ? I didn't think the stock shifter was very strong, at least relative to a shift fork.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
what happens if you are not "very fast", or "very quick" ? Does this mean 30-40 lbs of force transfers from the (remote) shifter to the shift fork ? I didn't think the stock shifter was very strong, at least relative to a shift fork.
It's stronger than it looks, albeit I always felt like it was going to break. With the mgw shifter there's no more feeling like that.

If you are not fast, you're forcing the synchos to do more since the revs will fall faster than the vehicle speed (so input and output shaft speed differential gets larger). If you're fast, everything is already spun up and it drops in. Gotta be deliberate with the clutch and shifter and get the timing right.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's stronger than it looks, albeit I always felt like it was going to break. With the mgw shifter there's no more feeling like that.

If you are not fast, you're forcing the synchos to do more since the revs will fall faster than the vehicle speed (so input and output shaft speed differential gets larger). If you're fast, everything is already spun up and it drops in. Gotta be deliberate with the clutch and shifter and get the timing right.
lets say you "quick shift" properly 99% of the time, and occasionally slop the shift and don't "get the timing right" and transmit 30-40 lbs of force to the shift fork. What's the expectation ?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
lets say you "quick shift" properly 99% of the time, and occasionally slop the shift and don't "get the timing right" and transmit 30-40 lbs of force to the shift fork. What's the expectation ?
I can tell you that the steel ones don't break.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Then where are the 1000's of broken shift fork warranty claims? Fricken MT82 haters let me tell ya.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Steel doesn't necessarily mean strong. Stock OPG is steel and its not very impressive.
Well aware of that as a mechanical engineer. The steel ones have sufficient section for their material properties to not break under those conditions. The cast aluminum ones that were not made to spec probably have too much porosity. The steel ones are stamped, IIRC, so they are a homogeneous material for all intents and purposes. The OPG fails because it's very brittle being powered metal, and the crank bending harmonics of high rpm and boost shatter it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Steel doesn't necessarily mean strong. Stock OPG is steel and its not very impressive.
How so? And no supercharged arguments please.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well aware of that as a mechanical engineer. The steel ones have sufficient section for their material properties to not break under those conditions. The cast aluminum ones that were not made to spec probably have too much porosity. The steel ones are stamped, IIRC, so they are a homogeneous material for all intents and purposes. The OPG fails because it's very brittle being powered metal, and the crank bending harmonics of high rpm and boost shatter it.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
so do we know if TR6060 shift fork is steel or aluminum ?
Sponsored