Alex Flores broke shift forks on camera

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I did hundreds of passes on my 2011 MT-82 with a Roush sc on it. Never once broke a shift fork. I shifted somewhat like Alex. Fast and strong as I could. The car shouldn't break forks. Period. On top of that, he is exactly correct on the gearing of the car. The first 4 gears are too far apart.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Haha well the V6 community will get the last laugh as soon as the cars start to appreciate in value soon. That is something the GT350R wonā€™t do.

Ok before I leave this thread Iā€™ll bite. I donā€™t know about appreciating but they are holding their value. So much so that I could sell and get back all my money and buy a GT. But that plan went ā€œpoopā€ as I donā€™t trust the new V8 motor anymore...

Now, for you GT guys: This is my first non V8 car ever. But I have to say after a year it isnā€™t as bad as I thought. Totally reliable and actually fast and kept its value. KEPT ITā€™S VALUE! In my area anyway. The other 2 Guys with Mustangs already sold their cars, an Ecoboost and a GT (traded in for an RS Camaro so it must have been a straight trade). Yeh, the last and best version of the V6 doesnā€™t have ā€œthe smellā€ about it that the other versions had. Itā€™s sort of an exclusive club now that you canā€™t buy one anymore. You have to wait for a V6 guy to give thereā€™s up to get yours! Ha, I canā€™t believe I said that but itā€™s true...

The last V6 is probably the best platform for a track car of all models but Ford killed that idea because it made too much sense. But if set up properly it will probably outhandle the oversteering V8 and more predictable than the turbo in the corners. So my fellow V6 owners you will always have that!

V6 forever...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The irony is the V6 is gone and the POS V8 carries on hahahahahahaha
When that heap of #$^% V8 goes away, maybe they will call the new Mustang hybrid the Mustang II :giggle:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The last V6 is probably the best platform for a track car of all models but Ford killed that idea because it made too much sense. But if set up properly it will probably outhandle the oversteering V8 and more predictable than the turbo in the corners. So my fellow V6 owners you will always have that!

V6 forever...
While you are right about the V6 being a better handler, you're completely 100% wrong as to why the V6 was axed. It was killed off because it doesn't fit Ford's "progressive" powertrain portfolio strategy. In their world, the V6 doesn't make any sense at all. And in terms of handling and power capability in 2018, I agree because the Ecoboost is even MORE balanced than the V6 and lighter. But just because I agree with the technical logic, doesn't mean I like it. Food for though...

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I like to read Richard Porter in EVO.
He wrote an interesting article on V6s
https://www.evo.co.uk/opinion/19857/the-v6-is-the-engine-worlds-constant-disappointment

Here is a quote.

Which brings us back to six cylinders. The straight-six, of course, is a thing of wonder. From the hollow blare of an old Jag XK to the rich, bassy sound of one of BMWā€™s finest, the straight-six is a marvellous thing. Itā€™s smooth, itā€™s hearty, it has real character. In fact, it has everything the V6 lacks. Go on, name a great V6 engine. Thatā€™s right, the ā€˜Bussoā€™ V6 from Alfa Romeo. Thatā€™s all anyone can say about great V6s. What else? Maybe the ā€˜Dinoā€™ engine from the eponymous not-Ferrari. And then, I fear, weā€™re all done. There are lots of V6 engines in the world, but how many of them are memorable or loveable or sound joyful? Very few. Even the gravelly lump in the nose of an F-type is just an average singer with one hell of an autotune unit. At least a supercharger saves its arse from that other V6 failing, which is the limp bottom end. And this is from stuff coming out of respected Euro and Japanese car makers. Donā€™t even get me started on those awful V6s you find in rental-spec American SUVs, which come in some weird capacity like 4.1 litres yet boast just 117bhp and a permanent tingle through the toe board.

The V6 is the engine worldā€™s constant disappointment and internal combustionā€™s eternal low-achiever. For every other commonplace engine layout you could spend all day thinking of great examples of the art. With the V6 youā€™ll keep mumbling Alfa Romeo and then give up. Itā€™s simply not good enough, and that is why the V6 is the worldā€™s worst engine format.

Of course, there is one sure-fire way to fix it. Simply weld two together to make a V12.
Actually...GM 3800 Series II. That thing was a brute. Okay, it sounded like butthole but it had a nutsack and a half.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
One more reality check guys.

Ford stated clearly it was keeping the Mustang. Do you guys seriously think this decision was based on keeping the V8? DI was done for particulate emissions and not for performance. They are fed up with the V8 and keeping it viable. The V8 and manual tranny are dead ends for Ford now. That is the ā€œwhyā€ of the slip shod quality control you see now.

They are not investing in dead end tech anymore. Ford is a business. Man, I feel like Iā€™m telling you guys the truth about the tooth fairy. The new car will be an evolutionary leap forward- embrace it! There will still be a Mustang - faster and better than todayā€™s GT!
You're in a fantasy land if you think they'll be getting rid of the V8 anytime soon. Ford is going all-in on higher margin vehicles. The Mustang with the V8 is one of those. It's not a big enough CAFE hit to be a worry, either, because it pays for itself even if there are penalties. I am not one against new tech at all, but your conclusions aren't grounded in reality with how they're actually operating their business. Oh and before you call this only my opinion, I can tell you it's not. It's directly from the people doing the work on future programs.

So...how about them shift forks?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I like to read Richard Porter in EVO.
He wrote an interesting article on V6s
https://www.evo.co.uk/opinion/19857/the-v6-is-the-engine-worlds-constant-disappointment

Here is a quote.

Which brings us back to six cylinders. The straight-six, of course, is a thing of wonder. From the hollow blare of an old Jag XK to the rich, bassy sound of one of BMWā€™s finest, the straight-six is a marvellous thing. Itā€™s smooth, itā€™s hearty, it has real character. In fact, it has everything the V6 lacks. Go on, name a great V6 engine. Thatā€™s right, the ā€˜Bussoā€™ V6 from Alfa Romeo. Thatā€™s all anyone can say about great V6s. What else? Maybe the ā€˜Dinoā€™ engine from the eponymous not-Ferrari. And then, I fear, weā€™re all done. There are lots of V6 engines in the world, but how many of them are memorable or loveable or sound joyful? Very few. Even the gravelly lump in the nose of an F-type is just an average singer with one hell of an autotune unit. At least a supercharger saves its arse from that other V6 failing, which is the limp bottom end. And this is from stuff coming out of respected Euro and Japanese car makers. Donā€™t even get me started on those awful V6s you find in rental-spec American SUVs, which come in some weird capacity like 4.1 litres yet boast just 117bhp and a permanent tingle through the toe board.

The V6 is the engine worldā€™s constant disappointment and internal combustionā€™s eternal low-achiever. For every other commonplace engine layout you could spend all day thinking of great examples of the art. With the V6 youā€™ll keep mumbling Alfa Romeo and then give up. Itā€™s simply not good enough, and that is why the V6 is the worldā€™s worst engine format.

Of course, there is one sure-fire way to fix it. Simply weld two together to make a V12.

Iā€™d tend to agree but the Mustang only offered a V6 with the S550. The other choices were a turbo 4 and the V8. So I can only speak to that. I have said it before that both the Mustang 6 and 8 are gutless at low rpm but that was a design choice. My life with the 6 wasnā€™t the embarrassment I thought it would be. Itā€™s faster than the Ecoboosts as gas is now insanely expensive and I guarantee the Ecoboost guys are running 87 daily driving so I never get challenged. Both at 93 and stock is a wash at 308 vs. 310.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I didn't read past the first page but it looks an awful lot to me like he was hoping to break it. There is literally zero negative reaction. Breaking them will draw him in a significant amount of new viewers.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Quite honestly, I'll enjoy the car as long as I have it and then will get something else when I've had my fill.

Given some of the comments I've read here, one would think anything Ford produces is a steaming pile of junk waiting to fall apart the second it leaves the assembly line.

How much of that is direct experience? How much of that is repeated rumor with zero background on what may have contributed to that issue?

Facts are one thing, forums are the inverse of facts. Go to **any** car forum (or forum in general that deals with a product) and the sky is falling, we're all doomed...

I bought my car anyway. I didn't opt for an extended warranty. I'll keep it for a few years then get something else, or get something in addition.

Something breaks, something breaks. I believe if you treat your stuff right, it'll treat you right. Done.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I didn't read past the first page but it looks an awful lot to me like he was hoping to break it. There is literally zero negative reaction. Breaking them will draw him in a significant amount of new viewers.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Look how hard he's shifting, it looks as if he's intentionally trying to break that trans.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Incredibly lame for Ford to blow this car. They decide to can all their other passenger cars for trucks and SUV's ( understandable ) but they can't even make their vaunted Mustang with a reliable power train. It's just ridiculous. And those who blow this issue off like it's "user error" and "it is what it is", and my favorite " just replace the transmission to something better". Are you kidding me? It's a 50k premium sports car and the transmission is obviously flawed or there would not be 2 separate TSB's on the thing. I'm willing to bet that this will go to a full on recall as there are new cases developing every day. These 18's have only been on the road for a year and most of the cars that are breaking have less than 2k miles on them. Total joke. Ford is in the middle of recalling 350,000 F150's and Navigators for guess what? Transmission issues. Wow.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Look how hard he's shifting, it looks as if he's intentionally trying to break that trans.
if someone dropped their car off at the mechanic, and got video of the "enthusiast" mechanic shifting like that, I doubt they would be very happy. Either way, maybe Ford would prefer to sell you an A10 rather than strengthen the MT82.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
You can see in the video, he's gorilla-shifting like a moron. Look at the force he's putting into the shifter, he's using every bit of strength he has.

No wonder he broke the shift fork, he's watched Fast N Furious a few too many times.

He only shifted successfully once ( 1st to 2nd) he went for 3rd and it wasn't there. I don't think he was forcing anything. It's a performance car with 460hp and a ton or torque capable of going 0-60 in 4 seconds. Sadly the guys building it ( designers) apparently were not aware of this. The fact that this is a TSB and we can now see it happening in real time should take all the conjecture out of the equation. The transmission is faulty. Period.
Sponsored