Sponsored

Alcantara, alcantara everywhere

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I’m starting to see a lot of alcantara pieces/kits popping up on Amazon and eBay. They’re similar to those carbon fiber trim kits, but, obviously, with alcantara.
Example: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BJ68...abc_FECV2T69V6AKR4S88G4T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BJ4L...abc_601N5M5TRHCS5B7KRN8B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Was wondering if anyone has tried any of these and can speak for the quality (adhesive quality as well) or even simply to the aesthetic post-install.
If I were to do this, I was thinking the steering wheel trim (over the silver plastic), shifter, infotainment, maybe the passenger dash, and trim around the door handles.
I also saw this one but have concerns regarding it and the airbag:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BJ4W...abc_3DK6ES0DSA7Y3XFQQDTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

PS: if you’re coming in here simply to post how much you hate alcantara… just, ya know, move on to a different thread with something you like instead? Thanks.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Oh so alcantara is suede, not interested but am sure it will look just marvelous in your car .

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Oh so alcantara is suede, not interested but am sure it will look just marvelous in your car .
It also looks marvelous in all the cars Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc etc use it in… not to mention factory race cars and some of the most beautiful and fast cars on the planet, like Aston Martin.
1638888466302.jpeg
1638888516218.jpeg

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I’m starting to see a lot of alcantara pieces/kits popping up on Amazon and eBay. They’re similar to those carbon fiber trim kits, but, obviously, with alcantara.
I've had my eye on it and I like that most of it is molded. I just dunno. If the material matched the OE material I'd be all over it.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Example: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BJ68...abc_FECV2T69V6AKR4S88G4T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BJ4L...abc_601N5M5TRHCS5B7KRN8B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Was wondering if anyone has tried any of these and can speak for the quality (adhesive quality as well) or even simply to the aesthetic post-install.
If I were to do this, I was thinking the steering wheel trim (over the silver plastic), shifter, infotainment, maybe the passenger dash, and trim around the door handles.
I also saw this one but have concerns regarding it and the airbag:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BJ4W...abc_3DK6ES0DSA7Y3XFQQDTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

PS: if you’re coming in here simply to post how much you hate alcantara… just, ya know, move on to a different thread with something you like instead? Thanks.
Any time you have something that just sticks to the stock stuff instead of replacing it you run the risk of it peeling up. Maybe it lasts 6 months maybe 6 years, but it will eventually peel up.

Sponsored

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
Pretty much alcantara is to suede as vinyl is to leather. Alcantara is synthetic, whereas suede is the nap side of leather.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It also looks marvelous in all the cars Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc etc use it in… not to mention factory race cars and some of the most beautiful and fast cars on the planet, like Aston Martin.
1638888466302.jpeg
1638888516218.jpeg
Only car I care about is the ones I own, not impressed. Suede also looks really marvelous with a dress. .... LMAO

And then there is elvis and his marvelous blue suede shoes.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Only car I care about is the ones I own, not impressed. Suede also looks really marvelous with a dress. .... LMAO

You’re so cool, everyone always talks about how you’re not impressed and how cool it makes you.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Real alcantara, like carbon fiber, is not cheap. So I would certainly go with “caveat empor” with these items. I doubt they are real alcantara and I wouldn’t give much faith in them retaining their shape or look over years of huge temperature swings found in automobile interiors. Just my .02

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
This ^

Also IMHO alcantara is best used on large areas eg whole console and/or dash, doors, seats whereas something like CF or black chrome looks better on smaller areas to bring out detail. Alcantara is matt so it gets lost in small areas and will possibly look like cheap stuck on fabric ie a bad attempt at customisation. Look at some of the top end car makers and see how they use it, should give you an idea.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This ^

Also IMHO alcantara is best used on large areas eg whole console and/or dash, doors, seats whereas something like CF or black chrome looks better on smaller areas to bring out detail. Alcantara is matt so it gets lost in small areas and will possibly look like cheap stuck on fabric ie a bad attempt at customisation. Look at some of the top end car makers and see how they use it, should give you an idea.
Right. The idea would be to cover all plastic/non-leather/non-metal areas with the alcantara, not just a couple of spots which would indeed look weird AF. Only spot offered I likely wouldn’t do is the”grab handle” trim on the door, as that’s constantly touched and I cannot imagine the alcantara holding up well there (I see it “melt” in 12-24 months typically on cars with fully alcantara steering wheels unless they’re constantly treated).
In regards to this being real or fake alcantara, the pricing for such small pieces leads me to believe it’s real. My main concern is certainly the adhesive. If I could find actual replacement pieces that were genuinely redone with the trim, I’d go for those in a heartbeat despite them likely being 3-4x as much money. I was hoping someone with the semi-popular carbon fiber “stick ons” could comment on how those have held up.

What I’d really like is some trim, specifically for around the infotainment and climate controls, that matches the PP dash trim.I think that single piece alone would help make the interior seem “higher end”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Meanwhile, you’ve probably filled your car with carbon fiber coverings. You’re so cool, Mr. Troll.

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
I think it looks pretty cool. I personally cannot stand the shininess of the carbon fiber trim. I was hoping someone made a dry carbon fiber trim pieces but I haven't seen any yet. I might try this out.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Meanwhile,
This stuff is a trend, just like carbon fiber interior parts are, If you like the look go for it. my take is it'll just end up dating the car in the long run. As this material /brand will get played out like everything always does. All that matters is if you like it.
The oem's use it, but only in high end trim and vehicles that won't see tons of kids or work use. Telling me it might not hold up long term unless very well care for. Time will tell.
Sponsored