Sponsored

Airbag decal removal (from visors) job didn't end well. Need ideas to remedy that. Thx.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, like many of you, I just can't live with the stupid yellow airbag decals on the visors, so removed the visors, and the decals successfully this weekend. But couldn't get past the adhesive left behind. Tried everything I'd normally do, although before, Goo Gone was all I needed. This time used tons of 91% alcohol, and nothing. Used tons of Goo Gone, and barely a dent. Also tried a new product (Goof Off adhesive sticker, also with a citrus smell), and zero. I don't want to try anything stronger, like mineral spirits, because I might ruin the cloth, the plastic base, or both. I probably like the visors now better than with the yellow sticker, but the OCD in me would be bothered by the obviously botched job if I keep them like that.

So I'd like to do something. Somebody else had luck with just alcohol, but not me. And I prefer not to rub hard anymore, since with all the rubbing, the cloth is king of stretched now, and don't want it any more than that. So what are my options??? I've read once of patches, and that's probably the least bad option... if the right material and size is found, that is. That's why I started this thread, so hope somebody did that already :D. Another option would be to paint that are black somehow (black shoe liquid wax?). Don't see any other option, but maybe there is. All comments welcome. Thank you.
JC
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I just applied the Stickyzomby label covers and the put some pony stickers on that.
As you can see the label cover is not a perfect match, it is after all matte vinyl not cloth, but it's better than the warning label. I think the pony dresses the visor up a little.
20200523_215031.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What timing, deleted mine today. Using a hair dryer. Softened the glue. Slowly working the label off, took some time but not a lot of time. Once you get a corner or side lifted.

Keep the heat pointed into the joint. Fanning over the face of the ugly ass sticker, moves it along quite well.

This process will leave behind some glue residue, that is removable. The cover ups above are a nice second.

"Surprised this is even an issue for anyone. I pay not attention to my sun visors"
Because some pay attention to details. Stupid shit like this is noticed even if someone does not realize they notice it.

One of the reasons some cars stand out, even if totally stock from the crowd.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks man. Wish they were a better match, but they'd be better than nothing, so would order those if nothing better comes up tomorrow.

Surprised this is even an issue for anyone. I pay not attention to my sun visors
Well, I'm sure you pay attention to other crap I don't care about, so we're even :D.

I just applied the Stickyzomby label covers
Hey, how did you apply them? Do you need an iron, or something like that? And do they stick pretty good, or can be removed easily, meaning they might come off later on with the summer heat? Just curious. Thanks.

This process will leave behind some glue residue, that is removable.
Did you remove it??? :D If yes, please state how. And if no damage occurred, including loose fabric. Thanks.

Finally, my visors are perfectly fine, other than the glue residue. So don't need replacements at all.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wonder when the government will stop requiring those pointless stickers. The people that need to see them won't notice anyway.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That stupid decal is only on the passenger's side visor, isn't it? I wonder if we could replace that visor with a driver's side one from a RHD car. Are they identical? Would it be a straight fit?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Fast forward to 2070 concourse event:

Judge: “We’ve scored your car as a 99.”
Owner: “What?! This car is perfect.”
Judge: “Those airbag stickers are obviously reproductions.”

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man. Wish they were a better match, but they'd be better than nothing, so would order those if nothing better comes up tomorrow.

Well, I'm sure you pay attention to other crap I don't care about, so we're even :D.

Hey, how did you apply them? Do you need an iron, or something like that? And do they stick pretty good, or can be removed easily, meaning they might come off later on with the summer heat? Just curious. Thanks.

Did you remove it??? :D If yes, please state how. And if no damage occurred, including loose fabric. Thanks.

Finally, my visors are perfectly fine, other than the glue residue. So don't need replacements at all.
Happy too..
I found Mineral Spirits works best. Using a round polishing pad (new) the one for applying wax. Wet it, not soaking it, using the hair dryer. Heat an area, and rub the pad over it, move to the next.

The idea is to remove the residue in several steps, layer at a time. Resist trying to get it all at once, work one visor, move to the other, go back and forth.

Reason being the visor, will have some time to dry out. and progress can be seen

"Wet, not soaking the pad, pour a cap full of Mineral Spirits on the pad at first. To get the feel, you will add more and wet it more as you get comfortable with the process

Thoughts:
Tried alcohol did not work, would not use acetone worried it could affect the fabric dye.

Do not use a heat gun, to aggressive IMO

Funny thing about stickers for morons, the moron does not pay any attention to em any way.

We the owners, drivers and car enthusiast are force to come up with ways to counter the BS .......... LMAO we do win in the end..

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Funny reading all the threads about the visor stickers. I never see the sticker as 99.9% of the time I have them down, or flipped towards the windshield. No more sticker to see!!
Yes even at night as I find overhead street lights annoying. YMMV!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
That stupid decal is only on the passenger's side visor, isn't it? I wonder if we could replace that visor with a driver's side one from a RHD car. Are they identical? Would it be a straight fit?
On my '18 they are on both sides. And I'm pretty sure left and right matters on them anyway - different angles on the mount and mirrors on the opposite sides.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Surprised this is even an issue for anyone. I pay not attention to my sun visors
Ha, me either. My brain doesn't even see those warning stickers much less worry about them.