Sponsored

Aggressive Jerk when shift to D 2018 Ecoboost A10

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost Premium 201a Performance Pack (Ruby Red)
I have a 2018 EcoBoost with performance pack and 3.55 gears and when I shift into D it jerks super aggressively. Cold start or warmed up; does not matter, no matter what I shift it from (P, R, or N) it jerks forward hard when I put it into drive. I hold down the brake pretty hard and it still does it. I have had a electronic transmission reset at the dealer before after complaining about rough shifting. Is it just me or is this normal? at 20k miles
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like your Transmission needs the software update. Since its easy to replicate take it to the dealership..

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
First, you're still under warranty...so don't panic. You'll be ok.
The software update could be a fix but it sounds like there may be a mechanical issue to me.

Have you had the car since new? Did this start suddenly or did it get worse over time? Do you have any DTC/CEL lights on the dash? What's your idle speed like in neutral?

How many times do you do "brakestand" smoke shows per week? :D

My experience with auto transmissions is pretty limited but my gut tells me that you have too much fluid pressure...or maybe the torque converter is bad?

Does anyone know if you can data log automatic trans behavior with FORScan? If so, I bet this would answer some questions.

OP
OP
goldenpants

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, you're still under warranty...so don't panic. You'll be ok.
The software update could be a fix but it sounds like there may be a mechanical issue to me.

Have you had the car since new? Did this start suddenly or did it get worse over time? Do you have any DTC/CEL lights on the dash? What's your idle speed like in neutral?

How many times do you do "brakestand" smoke shows per week? :D

My experience with auto transmissions is pretty limited but my gut tells me that you have too much fluid pressure...or maybe the torque converter is bad?

Does anyone know if you can data log automatic trans behavior with FORScan? If so, I bet this would answer some questions.
I think the rough shifting I've noticed as long as I have had the car (since 10k miles).

I use my car to commute, so I usually driving pretty tame unless I am cruising in Sport mode down the highway.

I will ask about the fluid pressure and torque converter, hopefully its not a major mechanic issue.

I have not gotten a software update yet, all I think they did was a reset of the learning computer on the transmission and it had to re learn how I drove over a couple hundred miles. I am gonna take it to the dealer again and see if they notice anything off about the transmission.

OP
OP
goldenpants

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*UPDATE* Took it to the dealer and they did a software update and this fixed the jerk when shifting. Service advisor said to drive normal to calibrate the transmission since it was also reset, so I will update on the state of the transmission after 2-300 miles of driving. So far so good.. glad to see it may not be mechanical
Sponsored