Sponsored

Aftermarket Mustang 2.3T/5.0 Emblems--Do they fall off in the carwash?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 2.3T emblem for my Ecoboost. I've noticed virtually all of them are glued on. I try to take my Mustang through the carwash every couple of weeks so just wondering if they would fall off if I did that?

I'd get 2 of them for like $60 so not the end of the world if they did. Also if there is one that is screwed in I'd be interested in that since I'd put it on and keep it. Here is an example of what I'm looking at.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-fen...VrVLx3xlFUf49dRJPffHwklISPXW7mohoCEHEQAvD_BwE
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
the factory 5.0 badges are taped on, no holes in the fenders, so long as you clean and prep (no wax on the paint) the surface prior to install you wont have an issue with them falling off

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Nearly any emblem on the side of modern cars are taped on. Very few are through bolted/screwed on.
As long as you clean/prep the surface and follow the installation instructions it's very unlikely they will come off unless you intentionally try.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
FWIW the same badges are on ebay for less money.
These are the satin black but I'm pretty sure you can find the gloss also.
Screenshot_20200913-115714_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
When I did the engine swap on my old sn95 I swapped out the pony emblem to black a black "5.0" emblem (used the pushrod 302). The old emblems were also stuck on so I had to heat the old one up and used floss to remove it. New ones slapped on and didn't budge for the 8 years I had. The car wasn't in the best shape so the only cleaning it got was a touchless car wash every couple weeks.

Just make sure the surface area is clean and you didn't buy something with really cheap adhesive backing.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
I wanted something different, so I ordered the grille pony and 5.0 emblems in Magnetic Metallic to go on my Kona GT (no GT emblem for the back 'cuz I swapped the stock decklid panel for the Scott Drake version). Installation went fine after doing all the proper prep. A few days later, the driver side 5.0 emblem fell off on the road somewhere, leaving the tape firmly attached to the fender! Obviously, the emblem was not properly stuck to the tape. After numerous attempts to contact CJPP about replacing the defective emblem (including a PM on this forum), with no response, I gave up and ordered a new set of fender badges. They're supposed to ship tomorrow, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the defective one was just a fluke.

20200907_064118.jpg

Little Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I changed mine about a month ago. I gone to the car wash once. So far, everything is good. As others have said, side emblems are taped on but also sit is small holes. The CJPP ones sit in those holes as a guide. Take your time putting them on. That glue/tape can be difficult to get off. Make sure you have some goo be gone.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Check Amazon. You can get oem ford emblems for a decent price on there. Why gamble with chinese garbage?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I wanted something different, so I ordered the grille pony and 5.0 emblems in Magnetic Metallic to go on my Kona GT (no GT emblem for the back 'cuz I swapped the stock decklid panel for the Scott Drake version). Installation went fine after doing all the proper prep. A few days later, the driver side 5.0 emblem fell off on the road somewhere, leaving the tape firmly attached to the fender! Obviously, the emblem was not properly stuck to the tape. After numerous attempts to contact CJPP about replacing the defective emblem (including a PM on this forum), with no response, I gave up and ordered a new set of fender badges. They're supposed to ship tomorrow, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the defective one was just a fluke.
I had the same issue with UPR units twice, losing one on the road. Oddly, the second set I installed lost its grip only on the passenger side. That side eventually lifted again slightly, so I carefully applied some Gorilla Glue with a toothpick on the back side of the badge to adhere it back to the foam tape and it hasn't been a problem since. The foam tape always stayed firmly attached to the fender.

My take is that the badge is hollowed out on the back slightly to save a tiny amount of molding material and there's not enough surface area for the tape to firmly hold. The glue method was a crutch, but GG expands slightly from what I've seen and probably filled some of the void. Still not sure they'd hold in a car wash, but my car never gets washed and only sees a duster and detail sprays.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I changed mine about a month ago. I gone to the car wash once. So far, everything is good. As others have said, side emblems are taped on but also sit is small holes. The CJPP ones sit in those holes as a guide. Take your time putting them on. That glue/tape can be difficult to get off. Make sure you have some goo be gone.
Don't bother with Goo Gone. It isn't going to do much. Use 3M adhesive remover. Comes in a spray can and has a #1 on it. This will save you a lot of time and reduce the amount of rubbing and scraping and chances of scratching your paint.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Nearly any emblem on the side of modern cars are taped on. Very few are through bolted/screwed on.
As long as you clean/prep the surface and follow the installation instructions it's very unlikely they will come off unless you intentionally try.
They are taped on but they have guide pins which I think helps keep them in place.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
They are taped on but they have guide pins which I think helps keep them in place.
I assume you are referring to the 5.0 emblam on the GT? I'll take your word for that. But, most cars do not have indentations where emblems/ wording goes. I've worked on many makes and models and the vast majority just tape to the panel.
Besides, the OP is asking about putting aftermarket emblems on a fender that never had one so weather or not the GT has indents, his won't.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I put on new emblems on my GT and there is holes in the finders on each side
Sponsored