Sponsored

Aftermarket H-pipe on stock Active exhaust?

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys..Been doing some thinking and have a used MBRP Street catback exhaust from my old 2017 GT that i want to use the H-pipe from and do a resonator delete on my new 2019 GT factory active exhaust. This retains the valve feature and gives more volume that the stock setup lacks.

My question is will the MBRP H-pipe fit in place of the stock resonator? I see specific aftermarket H-pipes (Like steeda) have a different pipe curve than the MBRP full catback H-pipe and curious if there will be fitment issues.

Anyone have any insight on this idea?

Steeda H-Pipe

555-3611.jpg

MBRP H-pipe

664555dcbd90846b1_20150825151008.jpg
Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
medic5.0

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Have you crawled under the new car yet? Is the exhaust in sections? werent the 15-17 cars one big piece from cat to tip?

The magnaflow midpipes are shaped differently, so maybe it depends on the manufacturer?

19369.png

The magnaflow active system is pretty sick and keeps the factory functionality, by the way

https://www.lethalperformance.com/m...tang-gt-3-competition-catback-black-tips.html
The 2019 active exhaust is also one big piece from cat to tips. It appears to have the same stock catback design as the 2015-2017 up until the tips. So the question i guess would also apply to someone trying to put an MBRP h-pipe on a stock 2015-2017 exhaust.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
You would most likely need the 18 setup honestly. We are having sales on quite a few exhaust setups right now so if you decide to go that route, let me know and I can see what I can do for you. lethalperformance.com

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
If you can get under it, you could probably just eyeball the measurements to see if it'll fit. If it lines up, take out the exhaust, measure the H against the resonator, cut, then install the H and then your individual exhausts.

Just be sure to get everything aligned before you tighten because once you cut the resonator off and the 2 muffler ends become separate, the angles can get all janky when lining up the dual tips.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
measure the H against the resonator, cut,
Well the H-pipe is a slip on, so don't cut the exhaust pipe to the exact length of the h-pipe.

OP
OP
medic5.0

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
If you can get under it, you could probably just eyeball the measurements to see if it'll fit. If it lines up, take out the exhaust, measure the H against the resonator, cut, then install the H and then your individual exhausts.

Just be sure to get everything aligned before you tighten because once you cut the resonator off and the 2 muffler ends become separate, the angles can get all janky when lining up the dual tips.
Is the factory exhaust 2.5" diameter? I think the H-pipe is 3"..would i need an adapter?

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Is the factory exhaust 2.5" diameter? I think the H-pipe is 3"..would i need an adapter?
Yeah yours is if it's the one I looked up on AmericanMuscle. Their system is 3, stock is 2.5, the Steeda is 2.5 since it's meant to integrate into the stock setup. At which point I think you'd need 4 adapters and 8 clamps just to hold the entire schlemiel together. At that point, you're probably at the price point of just getting another H-Pipe. That plus any possible measurement issues and you're better off just trying to pawn off the entire MBRP setup.

OP
OP
medic5.0

medic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah yours is if it's the one I looked up on AmericanMuscle. Their system is 3, stock is 2.5, the Steeda is 2.5 since it's meant to integrate into the stock setup. At which point I think you'd need 4 adapters and 8 clamps just to hold the entire schlemiel together. At that point, you're probably at the price point of just getting another H-Pipe. That plus any possible measurement issues and you're better off just trying to pawn off the entire MBRP setup.
I had a feeling it would come to this...thanks for the advice.
Sponsored