Aftermarket Driver Track Seat

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So I got to ask, this is where I struggle... I'm a 32 waist. Should I be looking at seats with a maximum 32 waist restriction or the Large that state that go UP TO 36"?
32" after covid? That's quite an accomplishment! :) They don't call it the 19 for nothing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The two that draw my interest are the Recaro Pole Position in Leather or Sparco QRT Performance in Leather. I'm not pulling out the passenger side so I'd like leather to make it closely match it at least by material. lol. Can't quite make up my mind. Anyone want to let go of their stock recaros... send me a pm.

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 42" waist - they quote the Sparco I have as up to 40 but I have plenty of room. I wouldn't stress on the waist with the Sparco's - they seem to have a reasonably wide seat bottom which is what matters for bigger guys.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
What's everyone running? Why did you go with that one over something else? Can you adjust it? Anyone know if there's a way to integrate cooling with the oem sensor from the convenience seat setup?
Added link to the ‘Track Info’ section of the Basics sticky. Good stuff here :like:

Last edited:

GTIIIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
The op didn't make it exactly clear what the purpose of the seat change was intended for, but if it is for track use, before you go to the extent of a seat change I would suggest giving this old racer's trick a try. I have the optional heated/ventilated seat option and I recently went to my first HPDE. I was instructed to get some shelf liner material and cut a piece that fit the seat and is held in place by the headrest posts. Secondly, move the seat back from the normal driving position and pull on the seat belt quickly until the tensioner locks. Then, move the seat forward against the tensioned belt until snug. These two things made a huge difference in how well the seat worked for me without a more bolstered seat. I don't remember ever bracing myself because I was moving around in the seat. But, admittedly not as cool as a couple of race seats. :)

Screenshot_2021-04-10 Duck Brand Easy Liner Select Grip 20.png

Sponsored

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I'll add some questions to this thread :

- What seat bracket are you all using with Sparcos ? And what sliders ? Assume most are side mounted even if using sliders...
- Those with 5+ point harnesses - where did you attach the bottom belt to ?
- If you disconnect seat harnesses, do you get seatbelt reminder ? (I know it can be easily turned off but I took the seat out without doing it and would have to put it back in to do the procedure - since it requires buckling and unbuckling the belt 3 times - but I do not get the reminder, even though buckle is clearly disconnected (since it plugs into the seat and the seat into the car)
I'd also appreciate any additional information on just what is needed to install a Sparco I have. What brackets, sliders and what harness plugs to keep the airbags active. I have the Recaros but nothing beats a real race seat. I will use the stock seat belt with the race seat -- have for many years on many other cars.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My opinion is if you're having trouble staying in place with the stock seats, you just need to tighten your harness. If you're trying to use a regular 3 point factory seat belt - yes I agree that will never work. You need a harness and it needs to be tight. You shouldn't feel comfortable, but you should be able to relax in corners and let the harness hold you in position.

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also appreciate any additional information on just what is needed to install a Sparco I have. What brackets, sliders and what harness plugs to keep the airbags active. I have the Recaros but nothing beats a real race seat. I will use the stock seat belt with the race seat -- have for many years on many other cars.
In my case I used the Sparco Mustang base with no slider. With my seat there is no height available for the slider and I also had to modify the base to make it lower at the back.

Less tall Sparco seats will work with the Sparco slider.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The op didn't make it exactly clear what the purpose of the seat change was intended for, but if it is for track use, before you go to the extent of a seat change I would suggest giving this old racer's trick a try. I have the optional heated/ventilated seat option and I recently went to my first HPDE. I was instructed to get some shelf liner material and cut a piece that fit the seat and is held in place by the headrest posts. Secondly, move the seat back from the normal driving position and pull on the seat belt quickly until the tensioner locks. Then, move the seat forward against the tensioned belt until snug. These two things made a huge difference in how well the seat worked for me without a more bolstered seat. I don't remember ever bracing myself because I was moving around in the seat. But, admittedly not as cool as a couple of race seats. :)

Screenshot_2021-04-10 Duck Brand Easy Liner Select Grip 20.png
@GTIIIL, the shelf liner was for the seat back?

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
In my case I used the Sparco Mustang base with no slider. With my seat there is no height available for the slider and I also had to modify the base to make it lower at the back.

Less tall Sparco seats will work with the Sparco slider.
Tony - do you think the stock slider and base could be modified to accept Sparco seat brackets (weld)?

I was able to weld brackets to a OEM base & sliders with a 2015 Z/28 and it worked out well.

Sponsored

GTIIIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Hi Caballus,

Yes, the shelf liner material was for the seat back and bottom. I cut a piece that fit the whole length of the seat and cut holes in it for the headrest to hold it in place. That, coupled with the tightening procedure for the lap belt made for an incredibly secure seat and I didn't find myself moving at all. I did have a sore collarbone after the HPDE school, but then again I was a noob and I should have put a pad on the belt.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Don't recommend a 4, 5, or 6 point harness unless you have a roll bar/cage.

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Tony - do you think the stock slider and base could be modified to accept Sparco seat brackets (weld)?

I was able to weld brackets to a OEM base & sliders with a 2015 Z/28 and it worked out well.
I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you:
  • Don't care about putting the car back to stock EVER
  • Will be super careful with your measuring and welding
  • Don't need to lower the seat much below stock
  • Understand that you will still get an airbag warning light without other work

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you:
  • Don't care about putting the car back to stock EVER
  • Will be super careful with your measuring and welding
  • Don't need to lower the seat much below stock
  • Understand that you will still get an airbag warning light without other work
I was inquiring more about whether you knew of any oddities with the base and sliders that would preclude adapting the base... In my Z/28 I:

- Purchased a base and slider from a junk yard = $60
- Had a professional welder weld the seat braces (Sparco) to the sliders
- The Sparco was naturally lower than the stock Recaro in the Z/28 plus I removed the seat pads.
- Purchased a airbag simulator from http://airbagsystems.com/simulator.html.

It all worked out well and it took 5 minutes to swap seats in the Camaro.

I have not looked a base and slider set up of a GT350 so it's new to me. If anyone has a picture of just the base and slider -- that would be great -- I have not been able to find one on the internet.
Sponsored