Sponsored

After Driving 2 GT's

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
I've been able to drive two different GT's so far and here's what I've realized:

Both cars were manuals one PP and one not. The Chinese made gearbox is quite good, short precise shifts with a nicely weighted clutch. I certainly did not power or speed shift but I liked what I felt.

The exhaust note is perfect, not too loud or too quiet but a nicely sophisticated rumble.

The ride of the PP on 19's is stiffer than the GT prem on 20's. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride on 20's was so comfortable.

The brakes on the GT prem were good but the PP's were superior in feel and bite; both were quite good though.

Fit and finish on both cars was spot on.

One car was CO and the other was Mag, under nighttime dealership lighting the magnetic car looked like guard (quite a bit of green under this lighting).

There was a third CO car (non PP) that had the premium painted 19's and they look great, the mag car had the 20's which also look good but didn't stand out on the mag car. I've seen the 20's on a black Eco that looked stunning. We also saw a white GT with the prem dark aluminum painted 19's that looked amazing.

I have yet to drive or even sit in a car with the color accent pkg and look forward to it as some of the plastics and fake stitching looked a little too low rent on a $40,000.00 car. Hoping the accent trim fixes most of this.

The seat bottoms are very cushy but I think might get too soft in less than a year's time. I think the seat bottoms could benefit from a denser grade foam over time. The seat cooling was very good and not too cold at all.

Acceleration was strong but nothing amazing...this could be attributed to just how well the car absorbs the road isolating the butt accelerometer a bit.

The doors close with a nice solid thunk and the frameless windows are mostly quiet when doing so. Overall build quality in all areas appears very good.

These are damn good cars and will only get better and better if Ford keeps it's mojo going in this direction.

:ford:
Sponsored

13GTCSMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR/GT/20's/NAV
Did these cars have the hard plastic upper door panels? I assume so since they didn't have the Premier interior trim group. Good to hear your review though. Waiting patiently to find the right one. I'm looking for a Ruby red, Manual, 401A, 20" wheels, Premier trim and 355 axle. Hard to find in my area though, at least, for now. May just end up ordering the dang thing.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Both cars were manuals one PP and one not. The Chinese made gearbox is quite good, short precise shifts with a nicely weighted clutch.
Probably depends on what you are used to.
My last manual shift car was a Miata. Compared to that car the Ford shifter is definitely an unwashed red headed stepchild, worst as you traverse the long journey to 5th.
I'm anxious to see what the aftermarket comes out with, reports are that there seems to be a lot of opportunity to make this right.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Is the ride in the non-PP car sporty enough for those who like cornering, or is it too spongy/boat-like compared to the PP? I want the suspension and brakes of the PP, but hate the dash, wheels, and 3.73 rear end. My current car has Bilsteins and H&R springs so I'm used to a firm ride with no brake nose-dive and low body roll, I'm worried that regular GT might be too 'boring' in feel.

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Is the ride in the non-PP car sporty enough for those who like cornering, or is it too spongy/boat-like compared to the PP?
GT with PP is too floaty for the really hard core, and about right for those who want a daily driver and the occasional spirited drive on a nice twisty road. In my opinion. I have not read of anyone who found the ride to be harsh and for me there is nothing that I do not like about it.

Will let the non PP folks chime in on how their cars are suiting them.

Sounds like it is sort of a split on cost for between tweaking the PP & non PP to suit your preferences.

Sponsored

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
I agree about the exhaust note. I will upgrade based solely on weight loss and potential power increase.

Too early to form a solid opinion about the gearbox but what is clear is that this car needs a short throws shifter upgrade. I havent driven manual for the last two years but from what I remember my 350Z had a better feel and shorter throws. The Sti was the best by far...

OP
OP

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
Did these cars have the hard plastic upper door panels? I assume so since they didn't have the Premier interior trim group. Good to hear your review though. Waiting patiently to find the right one. I'm looking for a Ruby red, Manual, 401A, 20" wheels, Premier trim and 355 axle. Hard to find in my area though, at least, for now. May just end up ordering the dang thing.
Yes hard plastic and they were premiums so I guess only the accent pkg takes care of it.

OP
OP

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
Is the ride in the non-PP car sporty enough for those who like cornering, or is it too spongy/boat-like compared to the PP? I want the suspension and brakes of the PP, but hate the dash, wheels, and 3.73 rear end. My current car has Bilsteins and H&R springs so I'm used to a firm ride with no brake nose-dive and low body roll, I'm worried that regular GT might be too 'boring' in feel.
If you want the car to drive tight, go go the PP. I'm not a fan of the PP rims so much but the overall pkg is nice. I found the 3:73 to be fine.

OP
OP

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
I agree about the exhaust note. I will upgrade based solely on weight loss and potential power increase.

Too early to form a solid opinion about the gearbox but what is clear is that this car needs a short throws shifter upgrade. I havent driven manual for the last two years but from what I remember my 350Z had a better feel and shorter throws. The Sti was the best by far...
The throws were quite short and I don't think it needs any aftermarket treatment but I guess there's always room for improvement.

OP
OP

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
Probably depends on what you are used to.
My last manual shift car was a Miata. Compared to that car the Ford shifter is definitely an unwashed red headed stepchild, worst as you traverse the long journey to 5th.
I'm anxious to see what the aftermarket comes out with, reports are that there seems to be a lot of opportunity to make this right.
A Miata is known for light easy and precise shifts but remember it's hooked up to a small 4 cylinder engine and not a V8. I really think the gearbox on the '15 is quite good, but I did not try any power or speed shifting since the cars were new.
Sponsored