Sponsored

afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I agree.

Sorry man, can't see your PM's so unless you make a post like this the rest of us have no idea you're getting them.

"Torqueless Car". That's a good one. I guess my '04 Z06 is truly torqueless as it only came with a measly 405HP. LOL.
Yeah I don't really know haha. After reading for 3+ years that I can't DD the car but then I do it everyday makes me feel like a professional driver :D
Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah I don't really know haha. After reading for 3+ years that I can't DD the car but then I do it everyday makes me feel like a professional driver :D
LOL There's no reason not to drive a Mustang daily.

Unless you're like me, and you're trying to keep the miles down on it because you drive 500 miles/month for work. LOL.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I am only driving 900 miles or so a month so not too bad, but I drive it hard when I get the chance, going past 7k rpm (gasp) on a DD is unheard of!

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
I was ready to write the check for a new 2018 Mustang GT Premium manual. I did a lot of research and some of it was here on this forum. There are real world problems with the 2018 car. There are not 1 but 2 TSB's on the manual transmission due to faulty weak aluminum shift forks that are breaking. There were enough cars that failed that Ford had to issue a TSB which is not something any car manufacture wants to do. I don't know as much about the "piston slap" or the "engine ticking" that sounds like a barbecue grill ignitor but that transmission issue killed it for me. I really like the car. I think it's very well designed and the over all execution is well done but no way could I accept ( as others here have) the possibility of this weak MT-82 gear box failing. Reading a post earlier in this thread from someone who know's or even has some of these issues and is willing to look the other way is just amazing to me. I'm just not wired that way when it comes to spending 40 grand.

I gathered up a few more bucks and got a left over new 2017 C7 Corvette instead. So far so good. Best of luck either way. I really do like the Mustang GT.... just not already diagnosed potential problems.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Because the C7s have no issues at all :D

No one is ignoring any issues but stating every car does is not correct and that is what people are doing.

Sponsored

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
I read all the "stuff" and bought 1 anyway. 6 speed manual. Only had it a couple of weeks and 650 miles. Loved every minute so far.
Same, I am up to 1800 miles so far. Amazing car

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Because the C7s have no issues at all :D

No one is ignoring any issues but stating every car does is not correct and that is what people are doing.
C7's have some known issues on the automatic 8 speed. Not sure if it was ever a TSB or recall as I bought the 7speed manual. There have ben no recalls or TSB's on 2017 /18 C7's. Yes.... many (not "all") cars have issues. Major power train problems are not common which is why all cars have much longer warranty periods on those components.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
2ga1z0.jpg

I actually appreciate it though. Corvettes help keep my shop in business. One of the most finicky cars on the road today.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2ga1z0.jpg

I actually appreciate it though. Corvettes help keep my shop in business. One of the most finicky cars on the road today.

We will see. At least I don't have to hold my breath every time I shift from 2nd to 3rd.....

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
We will see. At least I don't have to hold my breath every time I shift from 2nd to 3rd.....
Me either.

But you know what's worse than bent shift forks?

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017...tion-lawsuit-c7-corvette-z06s-cooling-issues/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-engine-problems-would-you-by-a-c7-today.html
https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/c7-corvette-owners-keep-reporting-blown-engines-213409/

You better hold your breath everytime you crank it.

I have a 2004 Z06 in the drive. Love the car, but she's cranky. They are what they are. Always have been, and I've always said if it were any other car, people would run far and fast. But, just as you said you couldn't believe someone would accept an issue, the Corvettes are FULL of issues and people accept them because "it's a Corvette".

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Me either.

But you know what's worse than bent shift forks?

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017...tion-lawsuit-c7-corvette-z06s-cooling-issues/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-engine-problems-would-you-by-a-c7-today.html
https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/c7-corvette-owners-keep-reporting-blown-engines-213409/

You better hold your breath everytime you crank it.

I have a 2004 Z06 in the drive. Love the car, but she's cranky. They are what they are. Always have been, and I've always said if it were any other car, people would run far and fast. But, just as you said you couldn't believe someone would accept an issue, the Corvettes are FULL of issues and people accept them because "it's a Corvette".
Those are paid trolls making those posts. None of them are real.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I'm pretty sure that the TSB referred to a certain batch of faulty shift forks that were made. Not all of them and since then the issue was corrected. It wasn't just that they were made of aluminum but that there was a casting issue with a certain batch. If the problem was that serious it would be a recall, not a TSB. I hate that the smaller percentage of cars with issues (compared to the many without serious issues) is causing this mass hysteria. I understand the reservation with such a large purchase, but no car is without an army of people complaining about something. Mine has 10k miles on it, it has ticked the same since I noticed it around 2k miles. Goes away once warmed up. Other then that the car has been near perfect.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
+1

Definitely a lot of people who can't take any sort of criticism of the car AT ALL.
Ironic as you put anyone on ignore that disagrees with you. :crazy:
Sponsored