Sponsored

afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
This would make sense if they never changed from 1965...but obviously it changes at least every 2-4 years which brings new issues with it.
I think you took that too literally.

What I'm saying is: Ford has been making the same car. By this point, they should know what their problems have been in the past, know what works and doesn't, and most importantly, know how to make their cars last.

You’re never buying another Mustang because you got one CEL? Wow, tough customer.
No. That's not why I'd never buy another Mustang.

Here, I'll spell it out directly for you:

1. Too expensive
2. Too many issues. In the first 6 months of owning this car, I've got: interior rattles, paint so thin it scratches if you look at it, possible engine rattle issues, a CEL for poor programming, and other items. My time is $$$$. I run my own business and having to take a car by the dealer, even if all they do is reprogram something, costs me literally thousands of dollars due to the time it takes out of my schedule.

I've been a bigger Ford fan than anyone I've ever known. BUT when there are issues, there are issues. Don't turn this forum into Camaro 5 by turning a blind eye to issues people are having and talking down to anyone who has a problem.

When I spend $50k on a car, I expect it to be good. I don't expect to be bringing it back to the dealer in the first 3 months I own it due to an issue that could have been totally prevented by quality control. I'm not a guinea pig and I didn't pay good money to provide free R&D to Ford.

Posts like yours I find really upsetting.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I think you took that too literally.
Only took what you said.

Such a high percentage of these cars get changed so often that you just cannot say they've been making this car for 50+ years and they should get it right.

And so many parts on these cars are made third party that even the best in house QC does not matter (ie, Takata Air Bags).

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Posts like yours I find really upsetting.
Why? The ONLY complaint you wrote in the ‘I’ll never buy another’ post was that your car threw a CEL. Posts like yours I find really upsetting.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Why? The ONLY complaint you wrote in the ‘I’ll never buy another’ post was that your car threw a CEL. Posts like yours I find really upsetting.
You ASSUMED that was my only problem, that's why.

Maybe you should have asked if there were other problems before you came to your incorrect conclusion.

And original to copy the last of my post. Am I right in assuming we're all grown ups here who can read between the lines, or is this a high school car club site where I'm going to have to spell each and every post out for you guys? Because if it's going to be the latter, I don't have time for it.

Not a good start here so far. At least in this thread.

Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
You ASSUMED that was my only problem, that's why.
I ASSUMED nothing, that’s why. I made the mistake of reading what you wrote.

Maybe you should have asked if there were other problems before you came to your incorrect conclusion.
I came to an apparently incorrect conclusion because you posted only partial information.
Am I right in assuming we're all grown ups here who can read between the lines, or is this a high school car club site where I'm going to have to spell each and every post out for you guys?
I don’t recall seeing ‘must be able to read minds’ in the terms of service for this site.

Not a good start here so far. At least in this thread.
I’ll say! Childish insults are never a good start.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I’ll say! Childish insults are never a good start.
Ok so you read what I wrote and "drew your own conclusion", which in no way is "assuming". Got it.

You and I aren't ever going to get along with that line of thinking. Noted and moving on.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I'd never buy a first year model Ford or even a 2nd model year most of the time. Ford just cant get it right from the start. It happens with just about every new generation they put out.
I have had 2nd year Ford models twice so far and had no issues, going again to a 2nd year model this year (2019 Mustang) so hopefully I will be ok.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I have had 2nd year Ford models twice so far and had no issues, going again to a 2nd year model this year (2019 Mustang) so hopefully I will be ok.
My 1999 35th Anniversary GT Mustang was one of the best cars I ever owned...and it was also the first year for the New Edge.

I also had a 2003 Mach 1, the first year for those models in the New Edge style, and a few '03 Terminator Cobras. All were great cars, except the last Terminator which proved to be a true POS.

The run of good quality in the first year launches is why I didn't even worry about buying my '18. Regrettable decision? Only time will tell. Right now, I'm too busy enjoying it on the rare times I actually do get to take it out for a spin.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
1. Too expensive
Then buy a damn Focus

Seriously though, anyone who thinks these cars are "too expensive" just can't afford to own it. M3 beating performance and amenities for $50k is a steal.

Sponsored

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
BBQ tick and all, no fear of mine. Only about 1k miles in but I have a warranty for issues that arise down the road. OP, if the 18's scared you enough to make a tread asking others for their input on level of concern, hold out and buy a 19/20.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
You'll quickly find that if you have to lean on the warranty for serious issues that Ford and it's dealerships go through a lot of trouble to make sure your issues are not acknowledged. I would love to share the emails I got back from my CSR after informing them of the bore scope results showing damage in cylinders 7 & 8 after 5k miles. The only mod I have on this car is an H pipe. Everything else is stock.

As far as stating that you need a certain amount of samples before your sample set is significant, that is mathematically false in this case. We have a significant amount of people here relative to the amount of 18 GTs sold. You only need a certain high magnitude amount of samples for approximating distributions, not calculating a straight proportion.

Basically since I've independently confirmed the issue, Ford (or at least the individuals involved thus far) has stonewalled my claim in an effort to avoid dealing with it.

Until they fix the Coyote, buying one is a gamble. Plain and simple.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
You'll quickly find that if you have to lean on the warranty for serious issues that Ford and it's dealerships go through a lot of trouble to make sure your issues are not acknowledged. I would love to share the emails I got back from my CSR after informing them of the bore scope results showing damage in cylinders 7 & 8 after 5k miles. The only mod I have on this car is an H pipe. Everything else is stock.

As far as stating that you need a certain amount of samples before your sample set is significant, that is mathematically false in this case. We have a significant amount of people here relative to the amount of 18 GTs sold. You only need a certain high magnitude amount of samples for approximating distributions, not calculating a straight proportion.

Basically since I've independently confirmed the issue, Ford (or at least the individuals involved thus far) has stonewalled my claim in an effort to avoid dealing with it.

Until they fix the Coyote, buying one is a gamble. Plain and simple.
Thats my biggest issue with Ford. They are sneaky as hell with issues your car might be having. I went through this with a new Focus with that horrendous automated manual transmission. More and more people started having problems with it, including mine and everytime i brought it to the dealer to get looked at, They flat out told me there is nothing wrong with it and thats how its suppose to work. It took a damn class action lawsuit for them to acknowledge the big issue and extended the warranty on it to 100k miles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
When I spend $50k on a car, I expect it to be good. I don't expect to be bringing it back to the dealer in the first 3 months I own it due to an issue that could have been totally prevented by quality control......
Here's your problem.......and here's your sign. You think $50K is a lot of money, and it isn't. It's down-right cheap for what is included in a Mustang.

Until you get your expectations aligned with reality, your car isn't going to make you happy.
Sponsored