Sponsored

afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Your not going to find many people on this site to tell you not to buy one. It is after all an enthusiast site.

Just because nobody here (or very few) have said they haven’t had issues doesn’t mean they don’t exist. And just because some people have issues doesn’t mean you will. Cars are mechanical machines built and designed by non perfect human being. Their might well be something going on, but if it is it’s a small number of vehicles.

Modding the car has nothing to do with it. The Coyotes isn’t an M3 mill that comes from the factory tapped out. There is always some room for more within reason.

Buy the car with a warranty. If you encounter an issue that’s what the warranty is for. Enjoy the car, and if you do decide to mod it (tune it) wait for a Ford Performance mod is avail that way it stays in warranty.
Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
its gonna rattle but will be a stock tired hell cat for 2k worth of mods and will save ya 15-20 k..just saying

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I like my '18 GT. Notice I said "Like", not "Love".

It's a fun car to drive, but I'm disappointed that at 7k miles it was already in the dealer for a check engine light. Apparently the PCM lost all it's programming and had to be re-done at the dealership.

Now that I'm not driving it much at all, I haven't checked to see if I've developed "the tick" yet.

Ford has been making Mustangs since 1965 1/2. The fact that they still continue to have these issues is frustrating. As someone who has owned over 30 Mustangs, this one will likely be my last. I feel like I spent too much money on this car (MSRP was $47k) to be having issues this early on.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I have almost 2700mi on my 2018 GT, which was built in late November 2017. I bragged about it being completely trouble and noise free, then it started having the engine rattle at around 2300mi. It has always had some clutch/trans noises, but I don't mind that. Personally, I would recommend waiting until 5k miles to mod the car. Most of the guys experiencing noises and issues seem to have them earlier in the car's life. The only reason to choose a 19 over an 18, is if you want rev matching with the 6spd. There is no proof they know what causes the rattle or that they have eliminated the issue for the 19. As for idle ticks, they have been around long before the 3rd gen of the engine. I am pretty impressed with the fit and finish of this car, but not sure how I feel about the engine/transmission noises. My last Ford was an 08 GT, and that engine never had a single odd noise or issue. It did have some synchro issues in the trans though.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Ford has been making Mustangs since 1965 1/2. The fact that they still continue to have these issues is frustrating. As someone who has owned over 30 Mustangs, this one will likely be my last. I feel like I spent too much money on this car (MSRP was $47k) to be having issues this early on.
This would make sense if they never changed from 1965...but obviously it changes at least every 2-4 years which brings new issues with it.

And if something is inherently wrong from the beginning in manufacturing, it can be super expensive to work out which the bean counters then get involved. Warranty/TSB/Recalls vs fixing the inherent issue.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
This would make sense if they never changed from 1965...but obviously it changes at least every 2-4 years which brings new issues with it.

And if something is inherently wrong from the beginning in manufacturing, it can be super expensive to work out which the bean counters then get involved. Warranty/TSB/Recalls vs fixing the inherent issue.
Virtually all manufacturers have adopted some form of TQL/TQM/Lean Six Sigma/Statistical Process Control/Rapid Improvement program/continious process improvement which are all designed to fix issues early and often. It has got to be cheaper to fix something early than to deal with warranty work.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Virtually all manufacturers have adopted some form of TQL/TQM/Lean Six Sigma/Statistical Process Control/Rapid Improvement program/continious process improvement which are all designed to fix issues early and often. It has got to be cheaper to fix something early than to deal with warranty work.
I'm sure they have quality programs, but for certain problems the QC process doesn't seem to be working. (Notably, the leading edge hood corrosion that's been a problem on Mustangs for like 10+ years, or the evaporator issues on the S550.) Maybe they don't care about problems that happen out of warranty, or just aren't covered by warranty by nature. But those types of things still affect customer satisfaction; probably more so when Ford won't pay for the repair. (As is often the case with the aluminum hood thing.)

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure they have quality programs, but for certain problems the QC process doesn't seem to be working. (Notably, the leading edge hood corrosion that's been a problem on Mustangs for like 10+ years, or the evaporator issues on the S550.) Maybe they don't care about problems that happen out of warranty, or just aren't covered by warranty by nature. But those types of things still affect customer satisfaction; probably more so when Ford won't pay for the repair. (As is often the case with the aluminum hood thing.)
You are right. I wish more companies would look at Quality the way Toyota does. Their cars may be boring, but quality is seen as an inherent company charachteristic above all others. As I see it, quality is marketing. Every dollar spent on quality is worth at least $2 spent on advertising. When you see a 5 year old car with clearcoat flaking and running rough, you take note of what model car that is. When you see a 20 year old Camary that looks like it could do another 20 without breaking a sweat, you take note.

Sponsored

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
I'd never buy a first year model Ford or even a 2nd model year most of the time. Ford just cant get it right from the start. It happens with just about every new generation they put out.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
I'd never buy a first year model Ford or even a 2nd model year most of the time. Ford just cant get it right from the start. It happens with just about every new generation they put out.
HOnestly, its why i got 8 yr 100K warranty :)

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It isn't new. Ford has used PTWA on the '11-'14 GT500 engines, along with the '15+ GT350 engines. They also licensed the tech to Nissan for the GT-R long before it was ever used in a Ford product. It held up well in high HP FI engines, and it will be fine in your NA GT.
Beat me to it. I was going to point out the fact that Nissan has been using it for nearly a decade.

hate the way the seats in the S550 sit so damn high
Get the Recaros. Problem solved.

I've had my 2018 for about 3500 miles now. Yes, it has the BBQ tick, as does just about every other coyote. Yes, I've driven it hard, done a full track day, and have had multiple passes down the drag strip. Still no issues

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beat me to it. I was going to point out the fact that Nissan has been using it for nearly a decade.

Get the Recaros. Problem solved.

I've had my 2018 for about 3500 miles now. Yes, it has the BBQ tick, as does just about every other coyote. Yes, I've driven it hard, done a full track day, and have had multiple passes down the drag strip. Still no issues
Honest question - Has anyone identified what the BBQ tick is, and more specifically, has anyone definitively found that it was something bad or is it just speculation?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Honest question - Has anyone identified what the BBQ tick is, and more specifically, has anyone definitively found that it was something bad or is it just speculation?
As far as I know, it's just the chatter from the valvetrain. Ford DOHC engines have historically been quite loud (My 2003 ZX2 makes the same kinds of noises, that's a DOHC 2.0), and when added to the chatter of the Direct Injection, it seems unnecessarily loud in the 2018+. But there's nothing wrong with it, and no problems it can cause. I could be wrong on this assumption, though.

Now, piston slap is a whole different issue. You'll know if that's what you're hearing, and THAT would present a major issue
Sponsored