AFR going rich at WOT

VegasEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I’ve got a fun new issue with my 2015 EBM. At WOT my AFR is dipping down into the low 9’s. Doesn’t matter if the car is hot or cold. It’s totally stock down to the paper air filter. Obviously this is causing a severe loss of power and fuel economy. My car is equipped with the manual trans, and only ever gets filled with “top tier” 91 octane premium. I’ve tried searching the forum but mostly find posts related to older v8 cars. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe cat protection? Otherwise I don't pay much attention to the AFR.. I keep mine on oil temp.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
How does it feel when you go WOT? Any black smoke out the back??

OP
OP

VegasEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
How does it feel when you go WOT? Any black smoke out the back??
The seat of the pants dyno tells me it’s down on power a good bit. If I had to guess, it feels down 40-50hp. I’ve not noticed any smoke, but my rear window is heavily tinted. I’ll have the wife follow me tonight and see if we can grab a video. At present, my 2013 Mazdaspeed3 feels much quicker even though it’s only rated around 270hp.

OP
OP

VegasEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The seat of the pants dyno tells me it’s down on power a good bit. If I had to guess, it feels down 40-50hp. I’ve not noticed any smoke, but my rear window is heavily tinted. I’ll have the wife follow me tonight and see if we can grab a video. At present, my 2013 Mazdaspeed3 feels much quicker even though it’s only rated around 270hp.
As far as smoke goes, I’ve not noticed any excess carbon build up on the exhaust tips or the rear bumper area. So that makes me believe it’s not smoking heavily.

Sponsored

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Those AFR's are normal for a stock tune. It's part of ford's "sand bag it to make it past warranty" protection plan. A proper tune will fix it and get a little more power out if it

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
91 octane is decent fuel but its still more prone to knock than 93. It doesn't sound crazy that the ECU would richen up to account for the mid-grade gas.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
At WOT my AFR is dipping down into the low 9’s. Doesn’t matter if the car is hot or cold. It’s totally stock down to the paper air filter. Obviously this is causing a severe loss of power and fuel economy.
If you're driving at WOT and expecting fuel economy not sure what to tell you...

What is the AFR at cruise and idle if you're worried about fuel economy?

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
I’ve got a fun new issue with my 2015 EBM. At WOT my AFR is dipping down into the low 9’s. Doesn’t matter if the car is hot or cold. It’s totally stock down to the paper air filter. Obviously this is causing a severe loss of power and fuel economy. My car is equipped with the manual trans, and only ever gets filled with “top tier” 91 octane premium. I’ve tried searching the forum but mostly find posts related to older v8 cars. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Its the catalytic over temp protection, when you combine that and the inefficient intercooler it will make your car feel like its running out of breath

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Its the catalytic over temp protection, when you combine that and the inefficient intercooler it will make your car feel like its running out of breath
If this car(2015) has a stock intercooler start there immediately. Also I have a 2015 PP Manual and recently walnut blasted the valves which afterwards felt like 30-40HP gain.
Sponsored