Sponsored

aFe drop in, Borla X-pipe & Flex tune - Will it pass smog?

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Hi Fellow Cali folks,

I know this is a little premature thinking...but will my '18 Mustang GT pass smog if I have the following mods? Right now I have the aFe drop in air filter in the stock air box and I have a Borla switch fire mid pipe. I'm planning on doing an E85 flex tune in the coming months from a local well known tuner.

Will my car pass smog in the L.A. area?

Thanks for your input.

T-
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hi Fellow Cali folks,

I know this is a little premature thinking...but will my '18 Mustang GT pass smog if I have the following mods? Right now I have the aFe drop in air filter in the stock air box and I have a Borla switch fire mid pipe. I'm planning on doing an E85 flex tune in the coming months from a local well known tuner.

Will my car pass smog in the L.A. area?

Thanks for your input.

T-

No it won't, not with the tune. The good news is new cars don't have to be smogged until 8 yrs. old in Cali. If you get an E85 tune just be sure to have the OEM tune stored (which they all pretty much do). The AFE drop in and the Borla Switchfire doesn't affect emissions. Also your 5yr./60k drivetrain warranty is still intact. Using the tune and there a catastrophic failure with the engine or tranny and you have the E85 tune could render that part of your warranty void.

I totally get the lure of the E85 tune. I have a 2020 GT PP1 300A car and I went with the Ford Racing Power kit for this car. Its probably only adds half the power an E85 setup would provide but the car is new and wanted to keep most of the warranty intact not to mention it has a CARB EO number.

I live in El Segundo Tony, I am very versed in emission testing here in Cali. Any other questions you can always reach out to me.

OP
OP
Mustang Tony

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
No it won't, not with the tune. The good news is new cars don't have to be smogged until 8 yrs. old in Cali. If you get an E85 tune just be sure to have the OEM tune stored (which they all pretty much do). The AFE drop in and the Borla Switchfire doesn't affect emissions. Also your 5yr./60k drivetrain warranty is still intact. Using the tune and there a catastrophic failure with the engine or tranny and you have the E85 tune could render that part of your warranty void.

I totally get the lure of the E85 tune. I have a 2020 GT PP1 300A car and I went with the Ford Racing Power kit for this car. Its probably only adds half the power an E85 setup would provide but the car is new and wanted to keep most of the warranty intact not to mention it has a CARB EO number.

I live in El Segundo Tony, I am very versed in emission testing here in Cali. Any other questions you can always reach out to me.
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking exactly as you mention. So I just have to switch back to the stock tune before before smogging.

And yes, I understand if I do decid to tune and something does happen...I will foot the bill.

But, I'm glad so far I'm okay with the AFE and the Borla switch fire.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking exactly as you mention. So I just have to switch back to the stock tune before before smogging.

And yes, I understand if I do decid to tune and something does happen...I will foot the bill.

But, I'm glad so far I'm okay with the AFE and the Borla switch fire.

I got the switchfire as well with the Ford Performance by Borla sport axle back. Very happy with it. Had it with the Steeda Axle backs...not a good combination. It used to be as long as all the readiness codes showed present you would be ok. Now there is a Check Vehicle Sum that is being checked and thats how they can tell if software has been loaded.

OP
OP
Mustang Tony

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I got the switchfire as well with the Ford Performance by Borla sport axle back. Very happy with it. Had it with the Steeda Axle backs...not a good combination. It used to be as long as all the readiness codes showed present you would be ok. Now there is a Check Vehicle Sum that is being checked and thats how they can tell if software has been loaded.
I love the Switchfire with the active exhaust...just perfect IMO.

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
I'm picking up my 2015 GT soon and I'm sick of smog hookups so this time around I want to be all smog legal. Looking at a roush kit or performance pack 2 from Ford.

Doesn't seem like they need seperate tuning.
Sponsored