Sponsored

AFE Drop in Air Filter - improved fuel economy

Tutone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 MT
So I installed an AFE drop in filter (dry not oiled) and I've noticed distinctly better fuel economy in the last couple tanks of gas. Used to be 13.7 liters per 100/km (17.6 mpg) here in the city and 9.1 liters per 100km (25.8 mpg) on high mountain roads and twisty highways. Speed on the Hwy was usually 120-130 kmh (75 - 80 mph)

With the AFE filter I'm now consistently running 12.5 liters per 100/km (18.8 mpg) and managed 8.3 liters per 100km (28.3 mpg) on my last hwy trip.

Not a massive difference but definitely noticeable. With gas prices hitting record highs at $1.73/liter here in Vancouver makes a difference for a daily driver like mine. Something to think about if you are trying to save some bucks on gas...
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Thanks for the good idea.

CVCashmere

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed mine I noticed the engine felt a little more responsive to the throttle. I don't know if the mileage changed, but I probably wasn't paying close enough attention.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I have aFe dry filter as well, and I have noticed around 1 MPG improvement on average too, which is huge.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
It may seem like you get better gas mileage at first but once your ecu adjust to the new airflow and the sensors learn to read the new inputs properly your mileage will return to normal use readings. You may see a SLIGHT improvement, but it would be very SLIGHT.

Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I've been running AFE dry filter for a month now after replacing my K&N filter (used for 2 months). I haven't really noticed any difference on mpg changes but I like that it is dry and not oiled. Before going back to stock air box I was using the JLT intake. The biggest change was going back to the stock air box which made the car feel more responsive.

Bigshow 14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco Vert Kona Blue
I've been running AFE dry filter for a month now after replacing my K&N filter (used for 2 months). I haven't really noticed any difference on mpg changes but I like that it is dry and not oiled. Before going back to stock air box I was using the JLT intake. The biggest change was going back to the stock air box which made the car feel more responsive.
I swapped to the air raid tube with AFE filter, great combo. Tried the C&L and full air raid intakes.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I as well had the "Tube & AFE in the stock air box", may do it again in my Covid-19 whip! Lost my S550, now I am in a V6 3.7 Cyclone again.
Sponsored