Aero: Swing + Gurney Flap vs. GT350R Wing

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
I have a 2019 GT350 which was equipped with a swing + gurney flap. I recently changed this out for a GT350R wing. I'm at my first track day since the change and the car feels much looser than before.

It's probably just me being off my game (don't blame the equipment!) or my PSC2 tires being just about shot but I am wondering if the aero change has anything to do with it. Does anyone else have experience with changing between the swing and wing? Did you notice a change in how the car behaved?

PFA

IMG_1734 (1).jpg
Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Part of it may be if you have the smaller splitter and didn't change it out to the R splitter. R splitter combined with swing would be almost as much downforce as the R wing. I think at 125mph the swing and gurney produce 235lbs and R Spoiler has 300lbs. Use the R splitter and I'm betting it goes up to 250lbs maybe a tad more. Grille openings are now the same so it's probably some other factors.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Part of it may be if you have the smaller splitter and didn't change it out to the R splitter. R splitter combined with swing would be almost as much downforce as the R wing. I think at 125mph the swing and gurney produce 235lbs and R Spoiler has 300lbs. Use the R splitter and I'm betting it goes up to 250lbs maybe a tad more. Grille openings are now the same so it's probably some other factors.
If I remember correctly, the swing with gurney actually produces more downforce than the R wing. 320 lbs comes to mind.

Since there are so many other variables involved, Iā€™m guessing you wouldnā€™t notice a difference between the two. When I drive a students R and my ā€˜19 non R with the same tires back to back on track, the only difference I can really feel is a lighter feeling in the steering wheel (likely due to the CF wheels)

Edit: I also have FP springs and sways.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr. Maboomba

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I have the R splitter, R wing, FP springs, front camber plates, track alignment, Michelin PSC2 FP tires.

After another run group, I think my tires have heat cycled out. They are unpredictable and causing me to understeer and oversteer all over the place. I decided to call it early and go home. New Goodyear eagle F1 3R tires will arrive on Monday.

OP
OP
Mr. Maboomba

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I have the R splitter, R wing, FP springs, front camber plates, track alignment, Michelin PSC2 FP tires.

After another run group, I think my tires have heat cycled out. They are unpredictable and causing me to understeer and oversteer all over the place. I decided to call it early and go home. New Goodyear eagle F1 3R tires will arrive on Monday.
Dang, good on your for calling it early and driving it home.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

Just curious, how many heat cycles do you estimate they have, and how much track time on the tires? Any pics of the tread left? What pressure are you running?

I hear the 3Rā€™s are great tires!

My home track is very hard on tires, so typically my fronts will cord before heat cycling out. When my rears are heat cycled, it feels like they let loose in a turn 5mph sooner than they should. Most people describe heat cycled tires feeling greasy, and Iā€™d say thatā€™s about accurate from my experience :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mr. Maboomba

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Just curious, how many heat cycles do you estimate they have, and how much track time on the tires? Any pics of the tread left? What pressure are you running?
This was my sixth track day, so they were probably on their 30th heat cycle.
The tires have 3/32" tread. Definitely still tread left, not corded.
28 psi cold, 34 psi hot, in line with FP specs.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
This was my sixth track day, so they were probably on their 30th heat cycle.
The tires have 3/32" tread. Definitely still tread left, not corded.
28 psi cold, 34 psi hot, in line with FP specs.
Lol, yupā€¦.. good call :)

OP
OP
Mr. Maboomba

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Dang, good on your for calling it early and driving it home.
After understeering through turn 2 at Sonoma and exploring the narrow patch of dirt between the track and the wall, it was an easy decision.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The R wing does make more rear downforce (tit was reported the swing had more incorrectly in one article) so, You should be tight if anything in my mind. I suspect something else is going on.
Sponsored