Aero Setups for Dual Purpose Cars

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Ale, I have the ZL1 splitter but I don’t know how effective it is because it’s pretty high off the ground. Maybe the 18+ cars are lower but last time with 26” tires I think I measured 5-6 inches off the ground. Looking to drop it in the spring
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The autox is ok for the spoiler cause is low speed. That is tons of drag. A wing is way more efficient.
The CAM-C class doesn't allow wings, so we're stuck with spoilers. I agree that those 6" spoilers are dirty, but the important number isn't on the radar gun, it's on the stopwatch. I bet the first inch or 2 of spoiler isn't too expensive and would help reduce separation off the trailing edge of a rear wing. Do you run a spoiler?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
The CAM-C class doesn't allow wings, so we're stuck with spoilers. I agree that those 6" spoilers are dirty, but the important number isn't on the radar gun, it's on the stopwatch. I bet the first inch or 2 of spoiler isn't too expensive and would help reduce separation off the trailing edge of a rear wing. Do you run a spoiler?
I agree for autoX especially scca is probably best solution.
Can u mod the suspension?
I'm not really sure what a spoiler and lip could do in a circuit with max speed under 80mph TBO.

I run APR 250 wing but I'm waiting for the new One ,AJ HARTMAN FULCRUM 14.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I think one of the most overlooked aero opportunities is hood louvers/vents. There is A LOT of trapped air under the hood that creates loads of lift. All that air coming in the front through the radiator has to go somewhere, best to make it leave out the top and get rid of all that lift. And it'll improve your radiator's cooling efficiency by giving it better flow.
The nose upper grill is one big chute Making the grill flush (upper and lower) and only having the opening as big as needed , and no more. Add/remove tape over grill opening,as needed after making a puck that fits in the cove of the nose cone upper and lower coves.
You can get away with much smaller grill openings if you seal all air leaks. Forcing all air through the heat exchangers.
Issues with hood vents is street driving and getting caught out in the rain. Underhood parts and wiring don't care to get wet.

BrandoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brando
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would highly recommend visiting the AJ Hartman page on YT or his site.

It's a huge rabbit hole lol but well worth the time invested learning if you are serious about aero.
Anddd the rabbit hole here I go lol. it's getting late but the website and the YT channel got me hook. So much good info on there for the guys thats ready to put big boy aero parts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
There was some talk about splitters and belly pan so If I may...

I cut out the brake duct areas of my belly pan on my splitter and mounted everything up. From there I didn't quite have the desired result so I took it to my friends shop and we cut up the belly
pan and Riv-nut it to the splitter. See vid below. The install is actually not as bad as I previously
thought.
What is the top splitter in the video the one with the red cant ? This looks super cool but it's not OEM PP1 so what it is ?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My worry is that the easy splitters that bolt on to the stock underbody will have very minimal effect, and may actually cause lift at speed.

Splitters make downforce under the car, not so much through pressure on top of them, and they have to be positioned at downward facing angles (lower in front than at the back) or they’ll compress the air and make lift instead of creating low pressure and downforce.

The stock underbody is angled upwards (and pretty steeply), to help with approach angle (because street car). Any splitter which is angled to really work is going to ruin your approach angle on a daily driver becuse its going to protrude and sit inches lower at the front than your stock chin lip.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
@Flyhalf Can you share some of your custom splitters? I know you've built like 3 or 4 of them.

What is the top splitter in the video the one with the red cant ? This looks super cool but it's not OEM PP1 so what it is ?
It's a PP1 CF lip. It's just like the OEM piece.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
There was some talk about splitters and belly pan so If I may...

I cut out the brake duct areas of my belly pan on my splitter and mounted everything up. From there I didn't quite have the desired result so I took it to my friends shop and we cut up the belly
pan and Riv-nut it to the splitter. See vid below. The install is actually not as bad as I previously
thought.

In regards to the no-wing thing, may I suggest a functioning Diffuser? I used one for a couple seasons before I settled on the functioning wing that I wanted.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/s...mustang-1462?category=21&order=name+asc#attr=

I was gonna attach a picture of it here but I just found out it's on their site lol (Who knew?)
Lol man Todd I watched your video like 3 times when you posted it in the other thread and I got discouraged. Was gonna have APR build me a longer one and go that route but im not ready to go through what you guys did...just yet. I will stick with my ZL1 splitter and pick up the APR GTC-200. Shoutout to you on that install video as well!

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
My worry is that the easy splitters that bolt on to the stock underbody will have very minimal effect, and may actually cause lift at speed.

Splitters make downforce under the car, not so much through pressure on top of them, and they have to be positioned at downward facing angles (lower in front than at the back) or they’ll compress the air and make lift instead of creating low pressure and downforce.

The stock underbody is angled upwards (and pretty steeply), to help with approach angle (because street car). Any splitter which is angled to really work is going to ruin your approach angle on a daily driver becuse its going to protrude and sit inches lower at the front than your stock chin lip.
That is why u have rods in the front. Rods mounted in the crashbar to push down 1-2 deg the front lip and support the load :)

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
That is why u have rods in the front. Rods mounted in the crashbar to push down 1-2 deg the front lip and support the load :)
Yea when I routed my ZL1 splitter initially, I was using their directions. I wasn't happy with lack of support so I added more bolts like @Flyhalf. After that, the splitter was pointing up so I used rods to push it down. Think its much better but just not low enough to the ground.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra