Sponsored

Advice Sought...To Trade or Not To Trade...That Is The Question!

Nac79

NAC15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Ford Mustang GT with PP
I believe you dodge a bullet. I read most of post and this last page made the most sense. When I purchased my 15 GTPP in November 14, I was one of the first on my block and thought I got a great price using X plan. Well, if I had been patient I would have save a couple thousand dollars.

Buying and trading cars will leave you broke. I find it strange how they add all these fees and taxes when you purchase the car, but don't even give any of it back on trade in allowance. You can play with the numbers all day, but in the end it is a bad financial decision.

My choice would be to enjoy what you have, use it, drive it, put some miles on it. Then when you worn it out, sell it! Next time, realize how much a financial commitment it takes and make sure you will be 100% happy with the decision. This is the last fun car for me and I'm 36. Tired of throwing money in the car rat race. Like someone said they will always make a better faster car. Cars are not Smart phones! They are a huge money sucker short of a home. The only difference is homes may go up in value. Cars never will. That's coming from a car nut.

Find a way to enjoy the Ecoboost Mustang.
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
My choice would be to enjoy what you have, use it, drive it, put some miles on it. Then when you worn it out, sell it! Next time, realize how much a financial commitment it takes and make sure you will be 100% happy with the decision. This is the last fun car for me and I'm 36. Tired of throwing money in the car rat race. Like someone said they will always make a better faster car. Cars are not Smart phones! They are a huge money sucker short of a home. The only difference is homes may go up in value. Cars never will. That's coming from a car nut.

Find a way to enjoy the Ecoboost Mustang.

I suspect M6G generates some GT sales. People are happy enough with their EB / V6, then join here, follow some postings, and then get to thinking about the V8 :love:

:lol:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
When I was looking at ordering in 2014, there was a $6,000 delta between an EB and a similar GT. If you can make the jump for $7k now, that's a pretty good deal. I'd take it in a hot second. You will love the GT and the Ruby is gorgeous.

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PREM PP
If you are still serious about continuing to look for a GT, and now that you know roughly what the difference in monthly expenses would be, you can start banking the extra amount every month and stockpile for a time when you find one you like. Maybe the 17 Mustang will have new bells and whistles that are tempting as well?

My advise is always to minimize debt whenever possible, but if you're truly unhappy with the EB, then save up with the money you thought you'd be spending on the GT every month until you find the next great deal.

Good luck.
Groundspeed,

Thank you! Wise advice indeed. After a lot of thought, consideration and contemplation (as well as "crunching" financial numbers several times), I will wait to purchase another Mustang. I didn't purchase the GT initially, because it didn't have the PP; I then looked at, researched and drove the EB, with the PP, several times (4 to be exact...auto and manual, both in PP and normal trims). So, I indeed did do my research and homework; but, I could not tell from the 4 short duration test drives (each about 10 or so minutes (one was about 20ish) the issues with the factory tune or FMIC.
I am fortunate to have a great career and make a decent salary; I am also fortunate that the EB is my only debt. I will indeed take your wise advice and save ("stockpile") the difference in what my current payment is ($417.00) and what a GT payment would be ($511.00 was what I was quoted on the 2015 RR GT), as well as the insurance and gas difference. My "gut" tells me that Ford won't offer (if indeed it is ever offered) an automatic transmissioned GT with the PP until the 2018 model year. So be it...I will drive the EB (who knows? Perhaps I can sell it between now and then...just buy a "beater" and save more money!) until then. It really sucks to wait, to tell the truth, because I don't like the EB...but, I do know that financially it is both the correct and wise decision to make. Thanks again for your advice and counsel...I appreciate it.

Matt

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
To reiterate the obvious, the most important decisions to make among the many models, and in order of expense:
$7000 Engine: GT or EB
$4000 Luxury level: Premium or Base
$2500 Performance Pack or not
$1200 Transmission: Auto or Manual

Looks like you only missed one on your original choice. Don't feel bad, my original order (which I canceled) was EB/PP/Auto. The ultimate grand tourer, IMO.

Some of us that also want auto and PP had to choose the trans and then go DIY for the go-fast parts. More $$$.

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
If your only gonna be 1k in negative equity, you need to do it now. It's a good deal.
28k for the EB is actually really good and from what it seems, you really want the GT. $500/mo compared to $400/mo is not so much considering you are getting much more car for the low price of a GT. I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat if I was in your position.
IMO you should get manual though :)

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Great thread Matt...Thank You for posting....lots of great advice....Im kinda in the same dilemma and Ive been thinking about trading in for a GT also....I bought a 2015 EB Premium Xmas 2014 for my wife as a DD and she loves this car BUT eveytime I drive it I'm wanting more....Im very happy with the 310HP performance but theres something about having 435HP at your disposal....I recently bought a new F150 that will be going in for its first oil change soon and Im very tempted to talk to the salesman and get some #'s to crunch...Good Luck on your search

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great thread Matt...Thank You for posting....lots of great advice....Im kinda in the same dilemma and Ive been thinking about trading in for a GT also....I bought a 2015 EB Premium Xmas 2014 for my wife as a DD and she loves this car BUT eveytime I drive it I'm wanting more....Im very happy with the 310HP performance but theres something about having 435HP at your disposal....I recently bought a new F150 that will be going in for its first oil change soon and Im very tempted to talk to the salesman and get some #'s to crunch...Good Luck on your search
JPG,

You are welcome! I have garnered a lot of wise counsel and information from forum members in this post. And I know EXACTLY how you feel when driving the EB; as I have said (and you alluded to) the 310 HP and 320 FT LBS/TORQUE is enough for 95% of people in almost any driving situation/scenario. But...you are also 100% correct in the "feeling" and "experience" of driving a car with 435 HP at your disposal is an altogether different matter, "feeling" and "experience" entirely.

I have decided to keep the EB and drive it until Ford (if indeed they ever do) offers an automatic transmissioned car with the PP. If Ford does indeed offer this configuration as a 2017 model, I will be STRONGLY tempted to buy it; however, my "gut" tells me the configuration won't be offered until the 2018 model year, when the first "rumored" "refresh" is slated to make its appearance. Thanks for your well wishes towards me and the same to you!

And FWIW, I spoke to Ford Racing, by phone, today and the engineer told me that their tune/CAI package wasn't slated to be released until at LEAST August of this year (2016), due to still resolving issues to meet 50 state legal emissions standards. The engineer told me the "projected" output aim of the EB tune was similiar to the Focus tune released by Ford Racing Performance...around 20-25 HP and 90 FT-LBS/TORQUE, at the CRANK, not at the WHEELS. So, for automatic equipped EB's, the Ford Racing Performance tune will probably yield 15-20ish RWP and 70ish RWP FT-LBS/TORQUE. The tune will also, like the Focus ST tune (99% sure it also came with a CAI from Ford Racing) will come with a Ford Racing CAI. So, if you keep your EB, there will be a tune out later this year which will allow you to keep a warrany (not Ford's Original warranty, mind you, but Ford Racings Warranty), if it is installed by a mechanic at a certified Ford Dealership's repair shop.

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Here is a breakdown of the numbers:

Payoff on my EB Premium is 28K; dealer's trade in offer is $25,000. The MSRP of the car is a shade under 41K, the dealer is selling it for 32,000. Negative equity of $3,000 + selling price of $32,000 = $35,000, financed at 1.99% for 72 months. The monthly note= $516.11. By putting 2K down, I managed to add only 1K of negative equity to my new loan.
How is this possible, you must have some connections.. EVERY dealer around me including Chevy is offering 20k trade-in value for my EB, PP with Recaros.. I too, tried to trade it in for a GT..

But with 6.5k negative equity, I can't even get a base GT without paying close to $575 a month.. I can swing $3.5 k off MSRP but with 6.5k negative, I'm screwed :mad:

I'm in LA county and even Carmax is barely giving me $22.5k for mines

FML

OP
OP

MATT1971

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is this possible, you must have some connections.. EVERY dealer around me including Chevy is offering 20k trade-in value for my EB, PP with Recaros.. I too, tried to trade it in for a GT..

But with 6.5k negative equity, I can't even get a base GT without paying close to $575 a month.. I can swing $3.5 k off MSRP but with 6.5k negative, I'm screwed :mad:

I'm in LA county and even Carmax is barely giving me $22.5k for mines

FML
Hmm, I am not sure what to tell you, save maybe it is because you live in CA, "the land of fruits and nuts"! I don't have any "connections". I suspect the dealer "inflated" the trade-in value on my EB PREM PP with dealer hold-back money, in order to make the figures work(able) for the 2015 GT, since it had been in their inventory since August 2015. Perhaps if you find a dealer with a leftover 2015 GT, a better deal (either more money offered for your EB or more money taken off the MSRP of the 2015 GT) may be negotiated. But, ad I said, you are in CA...good luck!

Sponsored

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Hmm, I am not sure what to tell you, save maybe it is because you live in CA, "the land of fruits and nuts"! I don't have any "connections". I suspect the dealer "inflated" the trade-in value on my EB PREM PP with dealer hold-back money, in order to make the figures work(able) for the 2015 GT, since it had been in their inventory since August 2015. Perhaps if you find a dealer with a leftover 2015 GT, a better deal (either more money offered for your EB or more money taken off the MSRP of the 2015 GT) may be negotiated. But, ad I said, you are in CA...good luck!
THanks bro..

But if you look at KBB and other sources, the EB is about 19-20k trade in value.. Subaruwrxfan ( not happy that his EB premium is about 19k trade in as well and he's on the east coast.

I owe 26.5k on my EB and I would love to get into a GT. You can't do nothing without breaking the warranty on EB and it's is not reliable (see LSPI).. Wish I NEVER would have gotten the car to begin with but it's a lesson learned for me.

For $100 extra to get the GT, I would jump on it. With 6.5k negative, I can't do much so hope you take advantage of your deal!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There's about 10 other threads on that. Please, not here!:headbonk:
Yup and line up an auto and manual and who will win? Not the one who some still seem to think is the only "real man muscle car"
Sponsored