Sponsored

Advice required - Redoing entire car protection - Ceramic, PPF or BOTH?

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
The company that will be putting on my Big Worm stripes also will be doing protection on the entire car as I am finding that the dealer applied Ceramic Coating is almost gone after only 9 months of usage. I mean water just doesn't bead like it used to and the company who was quoting me on ceramic (2 coats, full car including rims etc) said "Oh Dealer supplied Ceramic? We don't even have to strip that we buff that right off cause it's pretty cheap stuff".

I know many of you guys say "PPF", others say "CERAMIC", and some even say "BOTH".

What would you guys do?

PPF on the bumper cover, hood and A-pillars + Ceramic everywhere else?
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
PPF on the bumper cover, hood and A-pillars + Ceramic everywhere else?
I have XPel PPF on the contact patches and let me tell you something you need that Ceramic everywhere even over the PPF I have a few stone chips under the PPF now nothing big but also had a lot of stone chips and scratches on zones not protected by PPF with that in mind if I was doing it again I would have done PPF and then Ceramic everywhere. I didn't done ceramic because it would have added a flake to my solid paint and would have looked artificial on the lovely Grabber Blue.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
So add the stripes, PPF the bumper cover, hood and a-pillars and THEN Ceramic coat it kind of thing?

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
So add the stripes, PPF the bumper cover, hood and a-pillars and THEN Ceramic coat it kind of thing?
That's the go-to for great paint protection. On the hood, you would only need PPF on the forward half, no need to cover the entire panel. I would also add PPF on the forward half of the front fenders and the rear quarter panels where they flare out in front of the rear wheels, I've caught plenty of rocks in those places.

Last edited:

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
To add to this: What is the recommended process for stripes and PPF? PPF over them, or butt against them?

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
To add to this: What is the recommended process for stripes and PPF? PPF over them, or butt against them?
I'll be doing a full PPF, except the decals.

The detailer which will be doing the work gave me some options:

1. Leave the decals as-is. They'll install PPF right up to but not on top of the decals. I'm not concerned about protecting the decals, just the paint. I will be applying a general purpose sealer for matte paints on top of the decals, to keep them looking nicest. I'll also be applying a general purpose sealer for gloss surfaces, on top of the PPF. The sealers I'll be using are one step removed, one step down, from getting a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. I anticipate applying the sealer once a year.

2. Cover with PPF, both paint and decals, one sheet or area. This was not preferred or even a good idea, as it runs the risk of the PPF not following the contour of the decals and leaving raised areas or bubbles.

3. For the additional funds, they would lay gloss PPF up to the edge of the decal, then lay a matte PPF over the decal.

4. And for those where option 3 is just not enough: seamless PPF. In order to ensure it looks almost like no PPF is installed at all, they can remove mirrors, trim and door handles. PPF will be installed so that, once it is all back together, there are no seams.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'd consider PPF on the mirror backs, the side facing the front and the headlight lenses; this should help with pitting over time.

I think the first foot of the roof, nearest the front of the car, is a good idea as well. For those objects high enough to miss the other PPF (LOL) but low enough to hit the roof.

Finally, the rocker panel areas, down the entire length. Anywhere you are used to seeing water spray or debris kick up while driving.

Seems a bit excessive. I can appreciate the necessity of keeping a budget. I can also understand the level of protection will depend on where you live and how often the car is driven. People living in Northern areas to include Canada driving their cars throughout the year, probably need the most PPF they can afford. Those living in places like Southern Florida that drive it on the weekends, maybe not so much.

Tour a few detailing shops for estimates. Ask them what they would do and why.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That's the go-to for great paint protection. On the hood, you would only need PPF on the forward half, no need to cover the entire panel. I would also add PPF on the forward half of the front fenders and the rear quarter panels where they flare out in front of the rear wheels, I've caught plenty of rocks in those places.
I would strongly suggest doing the entire hood. First off is the visible line across there hood which, IMHO, looks terrible. But most importantly, my detailer guaranteed that a rock will land just on the other side of the PPF. And no, his name is not Murphy.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Well the shop I went to in order to get a Ceramic Quote as well as the Vinyl Stripes DOES do PPF so looks like I'll just have them adjust the quote to what I want.

1655320490679.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I'd also consider PPF on the mirror backs, the side facing the front and the headlight lenses; this should help with pitting over time.

I think the first foot of the roof, nearest the front of the car, is a good idea as well. For those objects high enough to miss the other PPF (LOL) but low enough to hit the roof.
Good advise. If you do the entire front clip it usually does include the mirrors. Check to be sure. Also do the "A" pillars. damage there is costly. Ask me how I know. Also some brands include the top 6" or so of the roof as part of the "A" pillars.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well the shop I went to in order to get a Ceramic Quote as well as the Vinyl Stripes DOES do PPF so looks like I'll just have them adjust the quote to what I want.

1655320490679.png
Just remember the difference. PPF will protect your paint from light to moderate damage. Ceramic will enhance the gloss and make maintenance far, far, easier. Also do not forget to get your wheels coated. Makes cleaning them a breeze.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Good advise. If you do the entire front clip it usually does include the mirrors. Check to be sure. Also do the "A" pillars. damage there is costly. Ask me how I know. Also some brands include the top 6" or so of the roof as part of the "A" pillars.
I actually have a little chip on the passenger side A-Pillar that I had to get Dr. ColorChip paint match touchup kit that arrived today. That is on the docket for tonight or tomorrow.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Just remember the difference. PPF will protect your paint from light to moderate damage. Ceramic will enhance the gloss and make maintenance far, far, easier. Also do not forget to get your wheels coated. Makes cleaning them a breeze.
The wheels are included in the package.

I'm thinking of the following

Vinyl Stripes applied

PPF over the stripes
- Front Bumper Cover
- Hood (entire)
- A Pillars (both)
- Fenders

Ceramic Coating
- Everything including wheels

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The wheels are included in the package.

I'm thinking of the following

Vinyl Stripes applied

PPF over the stripes
- Front Bumper Cover
- Hood (entire)
- A Pillars (both)
- Fenders

Ceramic Coating
- Everything including wheels
Just FYI, the full front package is what I meant by the “front clip”
1655321680520.jpeg

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
you really need to protect rear quarter panels (green area on picture). it takes tons of beating.
also fenders' arches corners and doors corners, mirrors, preferably headlights and foglights, front part of the roof and etc. if I were to do PPF again, this would be my bare minimum:

1655322036551.png

then ceramic coating on top of it, but really pick a good one.

just wrapping entire thing is the best of course, but man it's expensive
Sponsored