Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
I always get a chuckle about wanting "luxury features" in the R variant of the GT350. Originally the R stood for "race specifications."

I like how Ford switched to Track Pack for the GT500 - simpler and doesn't conflict with any history (that I know of).

In a way, it's cool how many folks want both luxury features and performance out of the GT350R. Good indicator that they're capture Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. enthusiasts.
I knew this was coming.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I knew this was coming.
Eh, I'm more complaining about Ford's decision than the needs/wants of its customers.

At the end of the day, feel free to ignore me. I ruined a perfectly good car - what do I know :)

Congrats on the badass car

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Agree with you on that. The stereo for the car is fine without the sub and it’s hefty weight.
The sub could be easily taken out if you are racing. 4 bolts and a wire disconnect and its gone. Keep going in the trunk and pull out the floor liner and the tire kit. Problem solved in about 2 minutes. When done put it back.

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
Eh, I'm more complaining about Ford's decision than the needs/wants of its customers.

At the end of the day, feel free to ignore me. I ruined a perfectly good car - what do I know :)

Congrats on the badass car
No problem. I apologize. I had a GT 350 base 2017 loaded before I got the R and I was used to the cooled seats and back seat. Up here in maine we get a lot of very humid weather in the summer, 80's with high dew points. But I will say that now that I have the R I would not go back. The performance is what has sold me on the Shelby mustang !

ultimately you are correct.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
The heated and cooled seats in the 350 never made sense to me once I had the 350 for a while. If it was hot enough that I needed cooled seats I'd probably have the AC on anyway ( I never used the cooled seats and the AC at the same time ), and if it was cold enough that I needed heated seats it was probably too cold to be driving the car. The other half wasn't happy about seeing the Recaros in the R, but once she sat in them a couple of times she actually prefers them to the heated/cooled seats in the old car.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I always get a chuckle about wanting "luxury features" in the R variant of the GT350. Originally the R stood for "race specifications."

I like how Ford switched to Track Pack for the GT500 - simpler and doesn't conflict with any history (that I know of).

In a way, it's cool how many folks want both luxury features and performance out of the GT350R. Good indicator that they're capture Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. enthusiasts.
Lets face fact here, the addition of a sub will not affect lap times for the average person. Unless you go all honey badger on the 350, a few pounds is meaningless. With the required addition of the larger backup screen and customer preferences, Ford did the sensible thing.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Lets face fact here, the addition of a sub will not affect lap times for the average person. Unless you go all honey badger on the 350, a few pounds is meaningless. With the required addition of the larger backup screen and customer preferences, Ford did the sensible thing.
Don't disagree with the fact that a few extra pounds will not make that much of a difference with respect to track times and that Ford has softened up this car with 12 speakers and a sub-woofer in the trunk along with heated mirrors, navigation, SiriusXM, and 3 way power leather trimmed sport seats for the driver and passenger which certainly suggests to me that Ford is on a different path with the last year of the R model.

I know that I am from a different generation than most of our members but also suggest that people such as Kevin and I have a much different idea of what a true track car should encompass and those of us that still retain and own a Base R model are certainly happy with our decision to go with a spartan and Base R model which represents the true essence of what this car was meant to be.

:wink:
Radio Block Off Plate.JPG
DSCF2393.JPG

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Don't disagree with the fact that a few extra pounds will not make that much of a difference with respect to track times and that Ford has softened up this car with 12 speakers and a sub-woofer in the trunk along with heated mirrors, navigation, SiriusXM, and 3 way power leather trimmed sport seats for the driver and passenger which certainly suggests to me that Ford is on a different path with the last year of the R model.

I know that I am from a different generation than most of our members but also suggest that people such as Kevin and I have a much different idea of what a true track car should encompass and those of us that still retain and own a Base R model are certainly happy with our decision to go with a spartan and Base R model which represents the true essence of what this car was meant to be.

DSCF2393.JPG
You hurt my feelings. :crying:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You hurt my feelings. :crying:
Too funny!:wink:

Have you had a chance to open up your R yet or are you still in the break in stage?

Very few better sounding cars than our R models at full throttle from 5,000 RPM and up especially in Track Mode.

:clap::clap:

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Too funny!:wink:

Have you had a chance to open up your R yet or are you still in the break in stage?

Very few better sounding cars than our R models at full throttle from 5,000 RPM and up especially in Track Mode.

:clap::clap:
I have 350 miles on it now, with 3 days of driving. My first actual driving day was last Tuesday. It had 50 miles on the odometer before I actually drove it home last week, all by me test driving it 3 times.

So to answer your question, no not yet. I did take it out for some spirited driving Saturday and Sunday. Very tight back roads, and all I can say is, WOW ! It is the best handling performance car I have owned and I took it on roads that are extremely tight and narrow to compare with other cars that I have taken on the same roads. As it was I would have been in serious trouble if I had encountered a police officer, although I was in complete control and never even came close to losing the rear end. Car sticks like glue. If the road was closed I know I could have gone even faster, I was already 30 mph over, but very much in control and not endangering anybody.

But to answer your original question, I have only had it upto around 5000 rpm so far. I guess my next question to you is, at 350 miles is the engine broke in ? And how often should I be checking oil usage ? every 500 miles ?

Sponsored
OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)

DSCF2393.JPG
Another question I have for you is, I didn't know you could get the R with leather trimmed seats like the base GT 350 ?

Although to be honest with you after owning both, the seats in this GT 350 R are more comfortable.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have 350 miles on it now, with 3 days of driving. My first actual driving day was last Tuesday. It had 50 miles on the odometer before I actually drove it home last week, all by me test driving it 3 times.

So to answer your question, no not yet. I did take it out for some spirited driving Saturday and Sunday. Very tight back roads, and all I can say is, WOW ! It is the best handling performance car I have owned and I took it on roads that are extremely tight and narrow to compare with other cars that I have taken on the same roads. As it was I would have been in serious trouble if I had encountered a police officer, although I was in complete control and never even came close to losing the rear end. Car sticks like glue. If the road was closed I know I could have gone even faster, I was already 30 mph over, but very much in control and not endangering anybody.

But to answer your original question, I have only had it upto around 5000 rpm so far. I guess my next question to you is, at 350 miles is the engine broke in ? And how often should I be checking oil usage ? every 500 miles ?
When discussing the break in period for these FPC engines I would suggest that everyone may have a different idea of how that should be done which will include drive it hard from day one to not using full throttle and not exceeding 5000 RPM's for the first 500 miles and so on.

Personally I always take a cautious approach to breaking in any new HP engine and do not red line any of my cars until at least ~750 miles and no full throttle until ~500 miles but that is just me. Others will suggest a much different approach and I get that.

With respect to checking you oil usage I would strongly suggest that you check your oil before and after every time that you drive your car and this suggestion is based on some individuals having oil consumption issues whether is be blow by or actually burning oil during spirited driving.

Oil consumption (or lack thereof) for these FPC engines will vary from engine to engine and also will be determined by the driving habits for each of us.

I have not had any issues with oil consumption but a few others have therefore until you get to know your car and your engines characteristics be diligent when it comes to checking your oil regularly.

Good luck!

:)

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
When discussing the break in period for these FPC engines I would suggest that everyone may have a different idea of how that should be done which will include drive it hard from day one to not using full throttle and not exceeding 5000 RPM's for the first 500 miles and so on.

Personally I always take a cautious approach to breaking in any new HP engine and do not red line any of my cars until at least ~750 miles and no full throttle until ~500 miles but that is just me. Others will suggest a much different approach and I get that.

With respect to checking you oil usage I would strongly suggest that you check your oil before and after every time that you drive your car and this suggestion is based on some individuals having oil consumption issues whether is be blow by or actually burning oil during spirited driving.

Oil consumption (or lack thereof) for these FPC engines will vary from engine to engine and also will be determined by the driving habits for each of us.

I have not had any issues with oil consumption but a few others have therefore until you get to know your car and your engines characteristics be diligent when it comes to checking your oil regularly.

Good luck!

:)
Thank you.

I was wondering, as far as checking the oil, since I was a little kid, I always checked the oil level after starting up the vehicle after it had been sitting for awhile. There was a thread posted not long ago and everyone seemed to have a different time as to when they checked their oil. Some cold and some after actually driving the car for say, 15 minutes. The other thing is, ford dipsticks suck when it comes to reading oil levels !

How do you check your oil level, cold or after running ?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thank you.

I was wondering, as far as checking the oil, since I was a little kid, I always checked the oil level after starting up the vehicle after it had been sitting for awhile. There was a thread posted not long ago and everyone seemed to have a different time as to when they checked their oil. Some cold and some after actually driving the car for say, 15 minutes. The other thing is, ford dipsticks suck when it comes to reading oil levels !

How do you check your oil level, cold or after running ?
I always check my oil when the engine is cold but also have checked it after it has been running for a while but leave it at least 15 minutes before checking but the best method for me is to check my oil when the engine is cold.

Yes, Ford dipsticks are a pain especially these FPC engine configurations.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

R for race I get it, but these cars really aren't intended for "racing". They don't match the specs for ANY race series and they aren't set up to track as-is. They are for driving on the street and for fun track taking it easy with the plan being to use the car again rather than being set up to win in a competition pushing to the absolute limits of man and machine.
Sponsored