Sponsored

Advice on T-56 Swap and Shop Recommendation (Nation-wide)

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
After having my TT Hellion Topmount kit for a couple of years on a decent E85 tune, I've finally burned through the stock clutch.

Instead of simply upgrading the clutch, I am seriously looking into a T56 swap to get rid of the annoying MT-82 (1st gear is a joke bc of shortness, 2nd is ok, but could be taller, gear 1st-2nd gear lockout @ above 5k rpms, and same with 2nd to 3rd gear @ 6k+ shifts, the remote mounted shifter location feels awful when shifting as well, I can go on...)

Here's what my issue is: I have a 2019 GT, and people used to say that bc of rev match, the swap was 'impossible' - that was a coupe of years ago. Fast forward to today, and now places are saying 'it can be done' with a good programmer to adjust the signals from the trans to the ECU.

I also can't find any shop local to me (FL) who will bother getting back to me on a quote. One shop said "yeah shouldn't be a problem" and has been telling me I'd get a quote within a couple days for 5 weeks in a row now. The other couple I've tried simply don't get back to me at all.

Does ANYONE have a shop they know would be up to the task, ANYWHERE in the country?

Alternatively, I can forego the T56 swap if another trans would work better...or if some of you think that building up the MT-82, changing out the 3.73 gears that are on the rear, changing the factory shifter would be a better move for me, let me know if you have any experience.

Like I said, my biggest issues are that 1st gear is WAY too short, I want taller gearing for 2nd if possible, the high RPM lockouts I'm getting, and the way the factory shifter feels so disconnected and blocky vs shifters that are direct mounted.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you have a shop you'd recommend - I don't care where it is in the US, I'll ship my car there just to get this done properly and if they can do a boost leash install or offer a better solution for tuning than my current ngauge + eboost2 on top of the trans swap/work, even better.

Thanks!
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I have a 2019 GT, and people used to say that bc of rev match, the swap was 'impossible' - that was a coupe of years ago. Fast forward to today, and now places are saying 'it can be done' with a good programmer to adjust the signals from the trans to the ECU.
It is not just programming, the MT-82 has a black box mounted on the upper left side that detects what gear the transmission is in and sends signals to the PCM. Afaik there is no provision to mount the black box on a T56 so some other method would have to be devised to tell the box what gear the transmission is in.

OP
OP

Cookiemonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 M6 GT
It is not just programming, the MT-82 has a black box mounted on the upper left side that detects what gear the transmission is in and sends signals to the PCM. Afaik there is no provision to mount the black box on a T56 so some other method would have to be devised to tell the box what gear the transmission is in.
What are people doing who are going FI on an MT82, then? There's no way people are sticking with stock gearing esp if they're on 3.73s and the stock shifter sucks for high rev quick shifts.

At the end of the day I just want taller gearing, smooth shifting that won't lock me out at rpms above 5k, and some sense of confidence that I'm not going to play Russian roulette with my trans every time I want to soft launch it.
Sponsored