racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Hey guys,

My car just hit 6 years old in January and I've been very meticulous about keeping it clean and protected (hand wash only, ceramic sealants, weekly washes, etc.) But it is a daily driver and is starting to show a little wear and tear.

Anyway, I've never had it paint corrected because it hasn't really needed it until recently. Now that the weather is gonna start warming up I want to attempt some paint correction on my own. I've researched and watched tons of videos about it over the years. I just want to see if you guys think my plans will be sufficient.

I really only have very light swirls and scratches, nothing deep at all. There are a few rock chips but nothing major. I was planning on getting turtlewax's new hybrid solutions one and done compound and polish. I would then pair it with a medium to heavy hex polish pad from chemical guys but would buy a light polish/finishing pad too. I don't believe I would need a compounding pad because the swirls are very light.

Do you guys think this would be a good enough combo to remove any defects? I can post pictures if needed.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I will be buying a 21mm throw DA polisher.
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If you're new to polishing, especially with an all-in-one product, I would get a test hood or door from the junk yard and practice on that. Most allow returns, so when you're done just take it back.
However, from my (possibly out of date) opinion, you're attempting a two stage correction with a one stage product. Now that said, the Turtle Wax might be up to the job, I don't know, I've never used it. However my main concern is you over working the paint if it's not up to the job. For a car that's gone that amount of time without a correction, I myself, would tackle it with a medium cut compound and medium or possibly heavy cut pad (after testing). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your paint is in bad shape. I'm just thinking of what 6 years of average garage-kept paint usually needs. Anyway, then I would follow with a fine cut polish and lastly a machine applied sealant. However, if you can accomplish that with an all-in-one, then go for it. But again, I would get a junk yard panel with a myriad of defects on it and see what works and what doesn't.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Chase: What polisher are you using? If it's a dual-action machine, I would recommend a medium grit pad and Sonax Perfect Finish. It is, IMHO, the best single compound out there and you will not be disappointed as it will bring that paint back to almost new.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If this is your first proper paint correction session, I'd stress the importance of de contamination. Start with a strip wash foam/shampoo, iron fallout remover and also a good clay bar (or clay towel) treatment.
Not forgetting the IPA wipe down before adding protection.
All time consuming but necessary steps!
P.S. congrats on 6 years :party:

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I think the combination you mentioned will be fine. I also picked up a bottle of the TW One and Done, have not used it yet (I am a fan of the new TW products). Apex detail has said multiple times in the comments of his videos it cuts better than Sonax PF and 3D One with the same finish. My car also has light swirls, nothing heavy. So a light-medium cutting pad should do the trick. If the swirls are light, you can probably just stick with a 1 step correction, unless you are looking for absolute perfection. Then in that case you might as well get a true finishing polish. Everyone has their personal preferences with products they are comfortable with. You cannot go wrong with 3d One, Sonax PF, or TW One and Done with the right pad choice.

Remember to wash, iron decon, and clay before compound/polishing. Then after the correction stage, wipe down the car with an IPA spray to remove the polish residue before applying paint protection of your choice

Sponsored

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Thanks for the opinions, I forgot to mention that I will do a full decon. I would do this at least once a year anyway. Wash with a stripping soap, iron x, rinse, synthetic clay mitt, rinse and finally dry. I'm used to the decon process.

So, from what I gathered, you guys think I will at least need to use a cutting pad and then a polishing pad? I was hoping that the scratches were light enough I could just get enough results with a medium or light polishing pad. Is this achievable?

I did help a friend polish his black tacoma using a DA polisher from harbor freight with a medium cutting pad and some chemical guys VSS. It wasn't perfect but his paint was in really rough shape and that combo probably got rid of about 85-90% of the imperfections. He was very happy with the results.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
So, from what I gathered, you guys think I will at least need to use a cutting pad and then a polishing pad? I was hoping that the scratches were light enough I could just get enough results with a medium or light polishing pad. Is this achievable?
I think you can get away with a light cutting pad, especially if the swirls are light. Tip for polishing is always start with the least aggressive approach first. Test on an inconspicuous area to see if the desired results are achieved. If the swirls are still present, then move up to a different pad.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
I have been polishing/correcting for 30+ years.
My favourite polisher is a FLEX 3401. It is DA and forced rotation, which is good - it prevents pad stall which can lead to the dreaded "DA tick marks" and hazing.
For polishes and pads, start with the least aggressive and work up in aggressiveness as required.
I like Wolfgang and Menzerna products and Lake Country pads.
For what you describe, I'd start with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and LC force hybrid white pad. This combo for me finishes down as well as any finish pad/glaze/polish combo.
Another nice combo is Meguiars yellow softbuff 2.0 pad and their M205 polish.

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Just my .02, but the basic Griots Garage dual action polisher should work great.

You'll probably need 4-6 mild/strong cutting pads, then 4-6 pads of a lighter polishing pad.
Lake County makes great pads: orange for mild cutting, white for the lighter polishing.
I like the Wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover. It will cut with the heavy duty pads, and polish out with the lighter pads. And it doesn't dust much.

https://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-5-inch-cut-and-polish.html

Then top with a wax or ceramic sealer. I like good old fashion Collinite 476 wax. It's cheap and cheerful and lasts forever. I top it with a spray wax in between applications.

I'd strongly suggest checking out the autogeek.net forum. Great folks over there. I buy my detailing products from them as well. I'm not affiliated in any way - I'm just a weekend warrior who likes to detail my car.

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I have been polishing/correcting for 30+ years.
My favourite polisher is a FLEX 3401. It is DA and forced rotation, which is good - it prevents pad stall which can lead to the dreaded "DA tick marks" and hazing.
For polishes and pads, start with the least aggressive and work up in aggressiveness as required.
I like Wolfgang and Menzerna products and Lake Country pads.
For what you describe, I'd start with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and LC force hybrid white pad. This combo for me finishes down as well as any finish pad/glaze/polish combo.
Another nice combo is Meguiars yellow softbuff 2.0 pad and their M205 polish.
Is this the pad you are referring to?

https://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/Force-White-Polishing-Pad-P1257/55-S1/

Sponsored

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and avoid cutting pads - they can be a bitch for ticking and hazing.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Recommend a test area first with Sonax Perfect Finish & Rupes Yellow Pad. If that doesn’t do the trick Jescar/Mcguires Microfiber pad. One of the biggest factors overlooked in these post is lighting - make sure you have adequate lighting.
Sponsored