Sponsored

Advice on options for rear tires....

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I hate to ask because we have so many threads on this stuff but after a bit of searching I never really found what I was looking for. Anyways all of this goes to tires, wheel hop, broken axle shafts, etc.

Of course a lot of people are concerned with wheel hop and try to upgrade the suspension to get rid of it. I have also seen others say that you can get rid of wheel hop by getting traction with good tires and not doing so much to the suspension. I guess the idea is if the tires stick from the get go, they never have a chance to hop in the first place.

All of this brings me to my car. I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires right now and am planning to hit the drag strip. Only suspension mods are camber plates, rear adjustment kit, and BMR 089/082 springs. In the short term I don't have plans to upgrade the suspension anymore and I don't want to for the time being. Aside from the above it's just a stock PP car.

Would I be better just running my MPSS (275's) at the strip or a set of 17" Mickey Thompson (305's) ET Street R's? Would I be less likely to hop with one or the other? How much would I have to worry about snapping an axle shaft with either set up? Is this much of a worry at stock power levels?

Sorry if I am asking a bit, just trying to get a better idea of which way to go from some people with more experience than I have. In the end I have a decent deal locally to pick up a set of dark star wheels with the MT's mounted with around 3/4 tread left. Contemplating going for it as I wouldn't mind saving the MPSS for the street and track days. Just don't want to go that way if there are many reason against it. On the front I'd be running my MPSS.
Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Is your car a stick or an automatic? If it is a stick go with bias ply tires if auto the drag radials will be fine. Also what rear gears do you have? What engine mods?

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Performance pack, has 3.73's and a stick. No engine mods.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Go with a set of Hoosier slicks.

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
Sorry to threadjack...

Why different tires if it's a stick versus auto?

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to threadjack...

Why different tires if it's a stick versus auto?
Stick cars are hard on the axles and driveline. Slicks have soft side walls that wrinkle and absorb a good portion of the "hit". Drag radials do not and transfer the hit to the car. Auto cars do not have this harsh launch and radials are ok for auto cars.

OP..

Get the MT's or as suggested, Hoosier drag slicks.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
So I would want bias plys since I am running a stick. What about the problems running bias ply rear with radial fronts?

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
You could run the ET street bias ply 17" if you don't want to run slicks, and want a street tire. Most say it's not a good idea to run bias rear and regular size radials up front.
Sponsored