Advice on Fueling to reach 650-700 rwhp on 18 and up GT

GeigerZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Whipple 3.0 (2020 GT PP1) Stage one upgraded (132mm TB and 3.875 pulley) with Mu52 injectors - still adding timing at 7,500 rpm (no BAP). Have two separate tunes from different well respected tuners and both still add timing. No issues with fueling (93 octane only).
Sponsored

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You guys with your 93, I freaking wish lol.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
93/Boostane works. Works very well.
18.75° so far in threshold testing and it’s loving it @ 14psi.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have driven on straight 93. When I add 8 ounces of boostane to a full tank of 93 I can definitely feel a difference.

Not huge, but a "butt dyno" difference for the better.

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
tbh man if you are in az like it says in your info, there are 4 E85 stations, if you can afford the fuel system right now, get it and use E85, i am in AZ and i would get knock onthe trash 91 we have.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
tbh man if you are in az like it says in your info, there are 4 E85 stations, if you can afford the fuel system right now, get it and use E85, i am in AZ and i would get knock onthe trash 91 we have.

I am in phoenix. Id rather stay under a power limit in the mid to high 600s than spend a few thousand to be able to run e85. I don't plan on upgrading the block or the clutch so I know I'm going to stay under 750 no matter what.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Use Boostane instead of adding E85 if you are not wanting to invest in a good return fuel system. E85 really needs a good fuel system.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My two cents:
These threads can be tricky to navigate - some very similar opinions and some that is different. Everyone has their own budget - and I don't pay other peoples builds. All I suggest is to wait until your budget allows - as I have seen people push and break things which usually ends up costing more. To that point, going stock fuel system or pushing somewhat modified stock fuel systems can be a fairly large risk IMHO. Fuel systems can be expensive - it is true - but relative to the engine you may blow - I think at least some fuels mods are a good insurance. There is nothing wrong with buying a bigger power setup and easing into it. I am doing the same. I just don't want to be forced to stay low power on my setup because of stock fueling. For fuel - and other key supporting mods - I tend to try to overengineer first and then add more power (because let's be honest - how many of us stay at the power level we start at lol?).
SO that all said, I am one of those guys who spent on the fuel system (lol) - because in my humble experience I have found that doing it once knowing where I will likely go - and in this case where I knew I was going - was worth it to shell out at the beginning and get all the work done while the car was apart (and not upgrade later). With ethanol - you have no choice anyway with the 30-50%+ more fuel requirements (E85/98). Taken right off my invoice - I have the Fore innovations 2018+ Mustang L2 Fuel System (triple pump) - flex fuel, TI Auto F90000285 , 2 x TI Auto F90000285, with FC3 Staged Controller.
I have not done the engine (only OPG and crank sprocket) - and although it will likely be next year - I am interested to see how far I can go fairly safely before I do. Trans is built (Circle D 258mm) and I have the Mcleod clutch packs (and suspension work). I am copying Sam's build and the Lethal Goldmember Build for the most part - and want to see how quick and fast I can go with it. It will be primarily on E85 at and around 900 whp I am guessing - but I wanted to see what it can do on pump (94) as well - which is why this is an interesting thread for me. There is limited info on people pushing their pump tunes because of the E85 option. I don't know what is possible with true pump gas (no boostane etc.) and have yet to see anyone with the fuel system to try. Hopefully I won't be the first - but I will post what the car is capable of doing once the Gen V finally arrives (should be end of the month).

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
First see if your tuner will do a e85 tune on a boosted setup without a return fuel system because some tuners require a return fuel system.
For pump gas lu47 are all you need for 750whp.
If you are going past 750whp or if you just want to ease your mind the JMS pump booster is the best In my opinion. Most boosters increase the voltage to 18-20V all the time. JMS only increases the voltage when it’s needed. It’s a lot easier on your pump.
That said I would not run a pump booster if I had any other choice. I would rather install a good fuel pump rather than force feed a fuel pump voltage.
If your tuner does not require a return fuel system you can run a dw400 alone and have enough fuel pump for e85. you will need bigger injectors than lu47 if you were to go e85

Sponsored

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I am in phoenix. Id rather stay under a power limit in the mid to high 600s than spend a few thousand to be able to run e85. I don't plan on upgrading the block or the clutch so I know I'm going to stay under 750 no matter what.
i w
I was in your situation about a year ago, i'd say get fuel system because honestly its a tough thing to pulley down, i say it because we are in the same area, i couldn't pulley down and i was high 500's low 600's. I told myself i was gonna stay at 700 happily, im at 800 and getting ready to build the block cus i want more, maybe you have less of an addiction than me but you will always want more lol

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...but I wanted to see what it can do on pump (94) as well .... There is limited info on people pushing their pump tunes because of the E85 option. I don't know what is possible with true pump gas (no boostane etc.) and have yet to see anyone with the fuel system to try...
That’s because the first wall you run into on pump gas is the knock limit. Lots of fuel system capacity helps you zero on pump gas if it doesn’t do anything to about knock. Hence my suggestion about increasing GDI capacity which actually does increase the knock limit but is typically shunned due to the cost, though it’s about the same price as the Fore triple pump setup. One helps you on pump gas but the other is needed on e85.

If you’re at 12/1 still and only running 55-60% gdi blend then you’ll run into the same knock limit everyone else does regardless of fuel system capacity.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That’s because the first wall you run into on pump gas is the knock limit. Lots of fuel system capacity helps you zero on pump gas if it doesn’t do anything to about knock. Hence my suggestion about increasing GDI capacity which actually does increase the knock limit but is typically shunned due to the cost, though it’s about the same price as the Fore triple pump setup. One helps you on pump gas but the other is needed on e85.

If you’re at 12/1 still and only running 55-60% gdi blend then you’ll run into the same knock limit everyone else does regardless of fuel system capacity.
Upgrading the D.I system would put him in a better position to make big power down the road. but people tend to do what everyone else is doing, never thinking outside the box. It’s the D.I system that makes these cars capable of serious horsepower on pump gas

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Upgrading the D.I system would put him in a better position to make big power down the road. but people tend to do what everyone else is doing, never thinking outside the box. It’s the D.I system that makes these cars capable of serious horsepower on pump gas
Question on this...I had a C7Z - F1A procharged. DI only - no PI (ZR1 was the first to get both). I had a larger low side and line as well as secondary high side. When it came to injections - DI injectors - the injectors that came out were expensive and seemed to have very little affect. I asked my Tuner - and I am likely paraphrasing poorly - but his point was the volume of fuel is easily handled by the C7Z DI injectors - they have significant capacity - it was the "when" (window) the injector sprayed that was the challenge. I understand that the Coyote is DI/PI - and most seem to simply go after the PI side - what are the options on the DI side and when/why would someone every go there?

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Coming from my C7 with an entirely stock fuel system and that thing made more than enough to have difficulty with traction in 1-3. That's why I don't see me going over what the otherwise mostly stock fuel system in the gen 3s can do. I know at that level it was already more than enough for street. I don't go to the drag strip, once in a while I race a car that wants a go but it's always on a roll. The stock gt feels pretty dang good by itself I mean it's no slouch I actually BEAT my friends supercharged 13 camaro ss due to his traction issues lol. Beat him 3 times too. I know the corvette weighs a butt load less but I think in the mustang the added weight will actually just help put the power down. Obviously I can't know until it's all said and done but I'm fairly confident at the power level I'm reaching for I will be plenty happy for a while.
Sponsored