Sponsored

Advice on Fueling to reach 650-700 rwhp on 18 and up GT

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I did some searching on this forum and wasn't exactly finding the answers I was looking for so I apologize that this has probably been asked a lot. I have 20 GT and will be putting a centri blower on it. My tuner (Black Market Racing in Phoenix) seems to think the 47 lb injectors plus a BAP will be enough for this goal but we may need to add E85 to keep the knock at bay. I only get 91 here unfortunately. E85 isn't plentiful but I can get it. My last car was a C7 with blower and meth and made 650 which I was pretty happy with. I've seen posts that say the STOCK fuel system can support 650 whp thanks to the port and DI but if im asking it to go a little over that I better add some help. I'm looking at the DW400 and/or a BAP (which BAP is best? I've heard good things about the VMP one) Would I need to do these both or just one or the other? I'm really not looking to go over 700 but somewhere between 650 and 7 would be great.
Sponsored

drc767

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
VMP Boost a Pump works great, but if you want to run E85 with boost, you're going to have to run bigger injectors invest in a return style fuel system like the Fore Innovations setup. I am running a VMP Odin setup with stock fuel system, Ford Performance 65# injectors and making right at 700 rwhp on 93 Octane.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
You’ll have plenty of room with a BAP and 1000cc injectors for 93 at that power level, or race gas. If you want to go E85 you’ll want a return style fuel system.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I went with a fore return system for similar goals (wanted a little more power)

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My set up a Procharger stage II with 4.75" pulley. I would estimate I am around 625 whp with my set set (straight exhaust with no muffler using an R&D Thermal axle back and 8 ounces boostane with each fill up with 93).

I have stock fuel pump and ID1050X injectors. My data logs show no fuel issues. I would start thinking of a BAP if I ever think about 700 whp. I currently have no plans to pulley down since 625 on the street is pretty stout for me.

E85 and you'll need a return style as others have pointed out.

My car is a 2018 A10.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Hi all,

I did some searching on this forum and wasn't exactly finding the answers I was looking for so I apologize that this has probably been asked a lot. I have 20 GT and will be putting a centri blower on it. My tuner (Black Market Racing in Phoenix) seems to think the 47 lb injectors plus a BAP will be enough for this goal but we may need to add E85 to keep the knock at bay. I only get 91 here unfortunately. E85 isn't plentiful but I can get it. My last car was a C7 with blower and meth and made 650 which I was pretty happy with. I've seen posts that say the STOCK fuel system can support 650 whp thanks to the port and DI but if im asking it to go a little over that I better add some help. I'm looking at the DW400 and/or a BAP (which BAP is best? I've heard good things about the VMP one) Would I need to do these both or just one or the other? I'm really not looking to go over 700 but somewhere between 650 and 7 would be great.
Agreed on the fueling comments other have said. I use BMR for alot of work as well. If I recall they will actually tune for flex fuel (not flex tune) which assumes e54 which is more available in the area. You could also have BMR do the install but do a remote tuning session with one of the other big tuners if you wanted options.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think what i will do is see how far the pump gas can take me and decide if I want more at all since to do the return style is way more money but has the potential for way more power.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you want to see how far pump gas can take you, another option is the xdi high pressure fuel pump upgrade. It will allow 90% gdi fueling (like stock) when supercharged which allows more spark advance.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ok so there's the boost a pump for the low side, dw400 which is also a low side upgrade and the xdi which is the high side. I'm just trying to understand when each is needed? I thought the high side doesn't really need to be touched. I really don't understand when people do the dw400 over a bap or if they're supposed to be done together.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Ok so there's the boost a pump for the low side, dw400 which is also a low side upgrade and the xdi which is the high side. I'm just trying to understand when each is needed? I thought the high side doesn't really need to be touched. I really don't understand when people do the dw400 over a bap or if they're supposed to be done together.
you dont need any high side upgrade. People on pump gas and boost just do a BAP and low side injectors. to run E85 they remove the BAP and add a return style low side system. Nobody gonna put no $5000 high side system. lol

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Of course nobody NEEDS any of this but if you want to maximize performance on pump gas, then the XDI high-side pump will absolutely allow more boost, timing, and ultimately power. Most just don’t know how to calibrate it.

The stock gen3 commands 90% gdi and 10% port injection. This is why it can run 12/1 compression on 87. However, the stock pump is near its limit on the stock motor. When a supercharger is added, you can only run about 60% gdi blend, thereby sacrificing knock suppression when you need it most. The bigger gdi pump allows 90% blend even boosted.

So yes, you can get “enough” fuel cheaper and easier by upgrading the low side. However, you lose the much-needed knock suppression when you put it in the port as opposed to the cylinder.

And yes, it is expensive, but about half of the $5000 mentioned, or about the same price of a set of green-catted long tube headers.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Your stock pump will be fine at that hp leve and flows almost as well as a dw400. Get the bap and personally I'd skip the 47lb injectors and go straight to dw95s or id1050.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Your stock pump will be fine at that hp level, and flows almost as well as a DW400.
The stock in-tank pump doesn’t even come close to being the same flow as a DW400.... Especially at pressures above 45psi.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The stock in-tank pump doesn’t even come close to being the same flow as a DW400.... Especially at pressures above 45psi.
The stock pump with a bap has no issues keeping up at the OPs desired hp level. You want to waste money feel free but doesn't mean it's necessary.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The stock pump with a bap has no issues keeping up at the OPs desired hp level. You want to waste money feel free but doesn't mean it's necessary.
Stock pump WITH a BAP yes.
Sponsored