Sponsored

Advice needed on what to do for power gains w/ warranty?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Hey y'all,

I have a 2018 Mustang GT (manual), had it for almost a year now and love it. Have around 9k miles on it so far, and I originally purchased an extended warranty with it to 100k miles for $1500.
I was wondering what ways are there for me to really see some power gains without voiding my warranty?
I wish I could tune it, get a CAI, and pump some e85 in there, but I know all of that voids my warranty sadly.
I was even thinking if my extended warranty was even worth it and I should return it(?), considering I only add 10k miles a year to the car and I know Ford already gives a standard 60k power-train warranty.
So far all I've done is a muffler delete and x-pipe. Maybe considering adding some headers at this point and a pedal commander for quicker throttle response? Besides that I pump higher octane gas from time to time 94 and 101 (it’s a miracle I found some here in Cali).
I appreciate any tips and advice, thanks!
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a sticky on this forum somewhere about this, basically says your warranty can not be voided unless they can prove a specific mod is what caused the damage.
That being said, it’s in your hands you can mod the hell out of it and maybe never have a warranty issue. You need to make the decision your self.
1.Enjoy it as is until your warranty expires.
2.Mod “lightly” until your warranty is up.
3.Say Eff it and go hog wild.

I pretty much say eff it and go hog wild! Lol! Life is to short.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Once you do headers you’re going to open Pandora’s box as far as dealers trying to deny warranty claims for something powertrain limited in my opinion.

You could do a no tune CAI with the removable insert so you get the full benefit if/when you do tune. Although the verdict mostly says the stock intake is efficient enough.

If you’re concerned about bouncing the warranty, you could always focus on putting the car on a diet and lowering your rotational mass. Lightweight wheels are a good start. Suspension also will help your current power make it to the ground.

I’m in the same boat.. I’m sticking with just a catback for now but doubt I will wait until the 7yr/100k extended is done to do mods that “might” void the coverage. Had my intake manifold replaced with just the catback. No questions asked.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey y'all,

I have a 2018 Mustang GT (manual), had it for almost a year now and love it. Have around 9k miles on it so far, and I originally purchased an extended warranty with it to 100k miles for $1500.
I was wondering what ways are there for me to really see some power gains without voiding my warranty?
I wish I could tune it, get a CAI, and pump some e85 in there, but I know all of that voids my warranty sadly.
I was even thinking if my extended warranty was even worth it and I should return it(?), considering I only add 10k miles a year to the car and I know Ford already gives a standard 60k power-train warranty.
So far all I've done is a muffler delete and x-pipe. Maybe considering adding some headers at this point and a pedal commander for quicker throttle response? Besides that I pump higher octane gas from time to time 94 and 101 (it’s a miracle I found some here in Cali).
I appreciate any tips and advice, thanks!
Best tip return to stock trade the car in for a gt350.

Not So good tip: do any mod that doesnt require a tune, like the PMAS no tune intake etc. Then just return to stock if you need warranty work... The dealers all know we mod, all they do is refuse to work on the car if it has modifications. Return to stock and they'll work on it. The only exception is with a tune because tje ECU logs how many times its been flashed

Terrible advice: cancel your extended warranty. Ford Will refund you the balance. Then do whatever you want. If the car blows up buy a Gen 2 shortblock from an F150 and swap your heads into it with, oil pump gears, forged rods and pistons. You CAN do that for about 4-5k then boost the living daylights out of it....

Even blown a coyote block is worth some money... So part out the blown engine you'll get money back.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
also once you start modding any ANY vehicle you need all 3 of the following:
1. An alternate mod of transport
2. AAA Membership
3. A minimum account balance of 10,000.00

If you do not have all 3 STAY STOCK. Or intake and exhaust only...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
you could also just buy another ECU and tune that one then swap the computers in if u need warranty work...

I'm surprised no one thinks to do this...

Just dont be a jackass and run e85 and try to warranty o2 sensors...

Or put a blower on run 15psi send a rod through the block then put back on your intake and try to get an engine... Thats dirtbag shit.

The warranty is for protecting you from fuck ups on Ford's part, or fuck ups caused by road hazards. It's not there to bail you out and get you a free motor because you decided to be a stupid asshole

PistolPete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi, 2009 Honda Accord
you could also just buy another ECU and tune that one then swap the computers in if u need warranty work...

Or put a blower on run 15psi send a rod through the block then put back on your intake and try to get an engine... Thats dirtbag shit.

The warranty is for protecting you from fuck ups on Ford's part, or fuck ups caused by road hazards. It's not there to bail you out and get you a free motor because you decided to be a stupid asshole

I like that idea!!!

PistolPete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi, 2009 Honda Accord
I have a CPO warranty and I am itchin to mod it!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

LMAO you nailed that one ......

Pep

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Do you own the car or making payments? I think that should be the first question before talking about mods.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Your warranty and ESP both provide coverage for many more items than just your drivetrain. Keep the coverage even if you mod the engine.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Look at mods that reduce weight. If your worried about a warranty. Light weight battery, wheels, and brakes will remove 100-150 pounds off if the car.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Don’t quote me but a good friend at a ford dealer told me that if I do a tune, end up having a problem. Remove tune and try n put 200miles n 20 key turns and they won’t ever see a tune was ever in the car.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Don’t quote me but a good friend at a ford dealer told me that if I do a tune, end up having a problem. Remove tune and try n put 200miles n 20 key turns and they won’t ever see a tune was ever in the car.
Thats great for a bad o2 sensor. I think most people fear a catastrophic failure like a rod thru the block. Of course some people worry to much. I put headers and a tune on my car. With less than 500 miles.
Sponsored