Advice for a near-future owner?

SDock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1976 Harley
Hey everyone. I've run some searches on here about this topic and have been researching these cars a lot, but haven't found an answer to specifically what I'm curious about. I'm looking to pick up a used s550 probably within the next 6 months. I know I want a manual GT with PP. My main question is, are the '18-up cars noticeably/significantly better than a '15-'17? The looks aren't super important, both look good to me. I'm mostly concerned about durability issues and performance. I'm not new to performance vehicles and this will be a nice weather/weekend driver with a few track days per year. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
I would say engine performance wise, not a big difference. Edge would go to the 18-21. The new 10R80 is a better auto, but that doesn't concern you as you want a manual. The ditigal dash on the 401A package (18-21) is a big one for me, you may not care about it at all. As for as durability, I would think that's a wash. Go find you a low mileage 15-17 with a stick and have fun.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
If youā€™re looking for a nice weather/weekend car to also be used for a few track days, you might consider a 2018-2020 PP2 car. That is exactly what I wanted and my ā€˜18 GT PP2 fits that bill perfectly. I switched to a little less aggressive summer performance tire from the stock Michelin Sport Cup 2ā€™s staying with the stock 305/30/19 square setup. Car is amazing on the streets and fun on the track.

Iā€™ve never experienced some of the rear diff overheating issues some with a more aggressive tire have reported. Iā€™ve run 15-20 minute sessions in 70-80 degree ambient temps with no issues. It certainly gives up some of the performance capabilities this car has in stock form with a little less aggressive tire, but itā€™s still capable of delivering.

Iā€™m at 18K on my car now with zero issues. Itā€™s been tracked about 1/2 dozen times now and made about 15 or so 1/4 mile passes. I do run a set of 325/30/19 MT Street drag radials for the strip. The only mod Iā€™ve done is a resonator delete H-pipe. With the stock active valve exhaust and the H-pipe, itā€™s one of the best sounding stock exhaust systems Iā€™ve ever heard.

My car was a special order 301A with Recaros and active valve exhaust. I paid less than $39K for it in May 2018. I wouldnā€™t change a thing if I had it to do all over again.

43162B5F-DF15-45C6-B525-51E1B9FB920B.png
Sponsored