Sponsored

Adventures In Oil Changes - Part II

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Part II, since original post is closed for replies.

We need to lobby Ford to place the oil filter that can be changed from top, accessible from opened hood. This way one can change oil from apartment parking lot without having to deal with expensive or incompetent quick oil change places.
Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

We need to lobby Ford to place the oil filter that can be changed from top, accessible from opened hood. This way one can change oil from apartment parking lot without having to deal with expensive or incompetent quick oil change places.
I doubt that can happen on these cars, although getting under there is a real chore in my opinion. Even without lowering, there's no way without ramps or jack stands.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang

If you are military or retired military go to Maxwell or Gunter to the Auto Craft Shop and use the lifts to change oil.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

So you're asking for a engine redesign (= $$) because of something that an average person should be able to do easily ? Do you know how ridiculous (apologize for being blunt here) of a request that is ?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
You could get a remote oil filter kit.

Sponsored

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
They would sooner kill the ICE V8 than redesign it. Get some rhino ramps for $40 and quit whining.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Also, you have the filter on top... how are you draining the oil?

images (2).jpg

quick jack and jack stands get you done in 20 min.

Ford already designed a mustang that doesn't require that annoying oil change lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are military or retired military go to Maxwell or Gunter to the Auto Craft Shop and use the lifts to change oil.
Yup, I do. I get on the Drive on ramp for quick oil & filter change. $7 lift and $3 oil disposal fee.

IMG_1110.jpg

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you're asking for a engine redesign (= $$) because of something that an average person should be able to do easily ? Do you know how ridiculous (apologize for being blunt here) of a request that is ?
I made a post in response to someone who lives in an apartment complex, unable to do self help oil change.

I noticed many manufacturers are placing oil filter on top side of engine. It shouldn't stop here, should make maintenance easier for owners.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Never mind the oil filter . What about putting the 5.0 dipstick where the oil could be checked by a normal person. Right now it requires a 98 pound waif contortionist with pipe stem arms, x-ray vision and 3rd grade hands. Itā€™s truly ridiculous.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I made a post in response to someone who lives in an apartment complex, unable to do self help oil change.

I noticed many manufacturers are placing oil filter on top side of engine. It shouldn't stop here, should make maintenance easier for owners.
From someone who knows corporate / industrial reality I can tell you this is very last on their list of things they think about it - or it actually isn't because they do want you to come to their service departments for obvious reasons (but there is about 20 more reasons why I called this request ridiculous and they all come from reality - I'd love myself for filter to be more easily accesible).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the discussion is the oil filter location, just search out oil filter relocation kits.

Get the relocation kit, clear a spot
in the engine bay, mount the kit and now you have a vertical filter that can be unscrewed without the tissues and tears.

:wink:

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
Of course it does help to have a major brand automotive tech as a family member. Free rack time...

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Or just dig deep and spend the $$$ to do it right. ;)
mustang_1_20200422_111158_resized.jpg
Sponsored