Sponsored

Advanced Fuel Dynamics...see GT350/R specific product

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Do you have any personal experience with their products? It definitely seems like an interesting kit. I'd like the ability to run any E% on the fly without needing tuning

OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
No sir. So far just due diligence. Talked to a shop in Texas for almost thirty minutes last week, as well as a racing shop here in Georgia that has done the install. Actually going next week to talk to them directly. Spent a good amount of time on the phone with William of Advanced Fuel Dynamics last week as well who answered a lot of questions for me. Interesting concept especially considering that there has been a post or two, one just last week about the use of 98 octane in the GT350 and noticeable increase in power and torque without tuning. There was a comment in last week's post titled "Octane boosters, race fuel, etc." where it references "the ECU is set up for Max pwr, Max load, 100 octane." from member TRS7139. I may be simplifying it somewhat but with e85 being 105 or so octane, with this product adding a flex fuel sensor, the Proflex Commander will read the ethanol content at the injector pre combustion thus allowing the ecm to adjust. A Dyno tune I assume would enhance the use of the product but is not needed to run it. Again, this is an oversimplification and AFD can explain in much more detail but it is intriguing especially since there is no tuning of the ECU.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Would a custom flex fuel tune not be cheaper? And, well...custom?

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Would a custom flex fuel tune not be cheaper? And, well...custom?
I think this would just provide some convenience. Flex tunes detect ethanol percent post combustion based on O2s, so when switching between fuels you want to run down as close to E as possible and then drive conservatively while it readjusts. Then, someone could mistakenly dog it immediately after switching E85->E10 and run into dangerous knock from the timing changes. This adjusts pre-combustion and doesn't change the base tune. From the description, you just pump and go. Plus, the plug-n-play nature allows for removal in case of needed warranty work. It is more expensive though, and I'm certain gains will be lower with the harness vs the tune due to max timing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Exactly. Tunes are point and time based ethanol content at that time post combustion. The max power on an n/a engine, at least this engine, seems to 65-70 percent ethanol in talking to William, so there is no need to run 100 percent e85. This product seems like it signals an adjustment to the injectors in accordance with the current e85 content and not "perceived" parameters set up on a Dyno tune based on the ethanol content post combustion. A dyno tune, along with this product, would seem to yield optimum results. Agreed that a tune itself might yield more power, but allowing the slight inefficiency in the map switching as outlined above, I find this to be a little safer even though I will not achieve max power. Also the fact that it is plug and play; no tuning or splicing, and can be removed just as easily as it was installed. I am intrigued and in my simple mind, the explanations that I've received make sense to me. BTW, a dyno tune with flex fuel runs about the same cost of this product at some shops. The tune dial in takes longer for e85. Off the shelf tunes may be less but I have seen Dyno sheets of mail order tunes that have been adjusted to make more power.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Brostang summed up in one paragraph something that took me a week to fully wrap my head around.

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
Clarified Product

Very interesting due to the piggyback nature and no footprint left for potential warranty issues.

I also spoke to William today and the product is very simple...starts with the sensor that reads the alcohol content, sends that data over to a module that has a harness that sits in between the stock injector harness and the injectors (piggyback). The module has tables that adjust the amount of injector pulse width necessary (over the stock level) based on the amount of alcohol it reads. So zero alcohol, injector acts like stock and as it reads more, it simply adds a percentage increase in signal necessary to compensate for the change in levels. There is no signal passed back and forth to the ECM. So technically you could still tune your ECM on top of this system.

Now we just need someone to tell us their experience with it before one of us jumps in.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I will next week. Diving in Tuesday along with a DSS carbon fiber driveshaft. Both being installed the same day.

OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Fyi. I corrected some things that I may have misrepresented in my previous post on the ECU. The Proflex Commander do not talk directly to the ECU. The ECU makes changes depending upon the e85 content signal via the injectors. The part that I am one million percent true on is no tuning is done to the ECU so no change is made and warranty is still in tact. That is why I went this route. A tune would only enhance this product but I have six and a half years or 91k miles left on my CPO warranty and I am holding out on this one as loooooonnnnggg as I can!! Again, my apologies if I previously misspoke.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
I will be interested!

Will you be doing any dyno pulls? If so be great to see impacts separately from DS and E85.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Comparison dyno should be easy too. Install the harness and box. Run it down to empty on 93, dyno, dump in a jerry can of e85, and then do a couple of runs on flex. Everything can be done the same day for better qa.

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
I guess now that i'm thinking about it, what happens with the O2 sensor readings and i wonder how the ECM tries to compensate for gasoline stoich vs E85. Gas 14.7 while E85 is ~9.6. Seems like the ECM would constantly be fighting with changing the fuel trims.

OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Unfortunately I won't be doing a dyno. Getting the installations done by different shops on the same day. My appointment times are back to back so I can't Dyno with the driveshaft, then head up to the other shop, get the Proflex installed then go back to the first shop to re-dyno. I will be hustling to make the second appointment and the install will be completed after the shop doing the driveshaft closes. My original intent was to get the car dynoed after the driveshaft was installed. I just got on the trail of the Proflex last week and since I have a small window that day, figured I would do both which was not planned. I do not want to get into the reason that I am having two different shops do the install that day; please respect that. Same shop, same day was easy but it did not work out like that. I will only be able to give impressions and not have hard data to support any gains. Sorry about that fellas...

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Probably going back at some point possibly in March/April to Dyno.
Sponsored