Sponsored

Adding OEM Rain Sensing Wipers

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
I had gotten a couple requests to post a separate thread specifically about how I added rain sensing wipers to my 2015 ecoboost premium. This mod is semi to medium hard, you will need to be comfortable removing wiring harnesses and soldering new ones, as well as be proficient with forscan for programming.

I started by ordering the parts on fordparts.com
-The rain sensor (17D547) $62
-The cover (17D550) $11
-The wiring harness, (select coupe or convertible) (14B242) $44
-The Wiper switch (17A553-ba) $37
-You'll also need a new windshield (03100) with the sensor mounting bracket, luckily my old windshield was chipped so through insurance it was only a $100 deductible to replace, I told them I needed the one with the rain sensor mount and they had no issues putting that windshield on instead of the regular one (I think my insurance made me use Safelite).

-I started by removing the steering wheel cover or shroud by removing the two screws underneath, then it just popped in half with a soft pry tool. The black box attached to the steering column behind the wheel with the wiper and turn signal stalks attached is called the Steering Column Control Module or SCCM. After removing the shroud you'll need to remove the two little screws that hold the wiper stalk to the SCCM and pull it straight out, replace with the new one.

-To wire the new harness I started by removing the drivers side A pillar and vanity mirror (make sure to disconnect the battery as you'll be near the side curtain airbag) then pull the dome lights straight down and unplug, they're just clipped in, then you can gently pull down the front of the headliner to see the rest of the harness. You'll then need to remove the plug from the back of the auto dimming rear view mirror and start pulling that harness out, it ends at the base of the drivers A pillar. Before installing your new harness you'll need to remove pin 3 (yellow wire) and pin 9 (green wire) from the 16 pin connector at the base of the new harness that plugs in at the bottom of the drivers side A pillar not from the connectors at the top with the mirror and rain sensor plugs, the pin 3 yellow wire is the LIN data wire from the rain sensor, it needs to be soldered in line with pin 8 (yellow-grey wire) coming from the 12 pin harness on the left, side of the SCCM NOT the bottom, the bottom is the airbag clockspring. The green wire is the hot wire and needs to be soldered to run or accessory power. I ran mine into the engine bay and tapped into the violet-white power wire going to pin 8 at the wiper motor so the rain sensor only has power when the wiper stalk is on, this is how the official diagram shows the rain sensor getting power as well, however im sure any switched power would work. After connecting the LIN data and the power you can plug the new harness in and run it exactly where you took out the old one and plug in the mirror and you'll have an extra connector for the rain sensor. Ground is tapped from the auto dimming mirror inside the new wire harness so don't worry about it. (attached are the official Ford wiring diagrams)

-Next after putting everything back and reconnecting the battery you're going to want to open forscan (you'll need the extended license) and go to program, go to the SCCM as built data and open it. You'll then need to change Line (724-02-01) to CA27 7C49 E4. This is the as built data from a car with auto wipers. Now if the stalk is left in int. which is now auto position the SCCM should listen to the rain sensor and you can adjust the sensitivity with the dial. Lastly you'll need to go to the IPC (instrument panel cluster) as built program screen and change (720-02-02) to XX8X XX(XX), leaving the last 2 in parenthesis for checksum which forscan will do automatically. Don't actually put X's, leave those with what is already there just change the 3rd space to 8; this enables the option to select to turn on and off "rain sensing" in the vehicle settings under "wipers".

-Now if you leave your headlights in the auto position they will only turn on if the rain sensor detects water and the wiper stalk is in auto position, instead of the headlights staying on if the stalk is left in the int. position.

And thats it! It seems intensive but it took me about an afternoon and cost about $250 give or take, this was a great mod for the price. I hope someone finds this useful!

View attachment Auto Wipers.pdf

View attachment Rain Sensor.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited:

wisaabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, Formerly 2015 GT
I had gotten a couple requests to post a separate thread specifically about how I added rain sensing wipers to my 2015 ecoboost premium. This mod is semi to medium hard, you will need to be comfortable removing wiring harnesses and soldering new ones, as well as be proficient with forscan for programming.

I started by ordering the parts on fordparts.com
-The rain sensor (17D547) $62
-The cover (17D550) $11
-The wiring harness, (select coupe or convertible) (14B242) $44
-The Wiper switch (17A553-ba) $37
-You'll also need a new windshield (03100) with the sensor mounting bracket, luckily my old windshield was chipped so through insurance it was only a $100 deductible to replace, I told them I needed the one with the rain sensor mount and they had no issues putting that windshield on instead of the regular one (I think my insurance made me use Safelite).

-I started by removing the steering wheel cover or shroud by removing the two screws underneath, then it just popped in half with a soft pry tool. The black box attached to the steering column behind the wheel with the wiper and turn signal stalks attached is called the Steering Column Control Module or SCCM. After removing the shroud you'll need to remove the two little screws that hold the wiper stalk to the SCCM and pull it straight out, replace with the new one.

-To wire the new harness I started by removing the drivers side A pillar and vanity mirror (make sure to disconnect the battery as you'll be near the side curtain airbag) then pull the dome lights straight down and unplug, they're just clipped in, then you can gently pull down the front of the headliner to see the rest of the harness. You'll then need to remove the plug from the back of the auto dimming rear view mirror and start pulling that harness out, it ends at the base of the drivers A pillar. Before installing your new harness you'll need to remove pin 3 (yellow wire) and pin 9 (green wire) from the 16 pin connector at the base of the new harness that plugs in at the bottom of the drivers side A pillar not from the connectors at the top with the mirror and rain sensor plugs, the pin 3 yellow wire is the LIN data wire from the rain sensor, it needs to be soldered in line with pin 8 (yellow-grey wire) coming from the 12 pin harness on the left, side of the SCCM NOT the bottom, the bottom is the airbag clockspring. The green wire is the hot wire and needs to be soldered to run or accessory power. I ran mine into the engine bay and tapped into the violet-white power wire going to pin 8 at the wiper motor so the rain sensor only has power when the wiper stalk is on, this is how the official diagram shows the rain sensor getting power as well, however im sure any switched power would work. After connecting the LIN data and the power you can plug the new harness in and run it exactly where you took out the old one and plug in the mirror and you'll have an extra connector for the rain sensor. Ground is tapped from the auto dimming mirror inside the new wire harness so don't worry about it. (attached are the official Ford wiring diagrams)

-Next after putting everything back and reconnecting the battery you're going to want to open forscan (you'll need the extended license) and go to program, go to the SCCM as built data and open it. You'll then need to change Line (724-02-01) to CA27 7C49 E4. This is the as built data from a car with auto wipers. Now if the stalk is left in int. which is now auto position the SCCM should listen to the rain sensor and you can adjust the sensitivity with the dial. Lastly you'll need to go to the IPC (instrument panel cluster) as built program screen and change (720-02-02) to XX8X XX(XX), leaving the last 2 in parenthesis for checksum which forscan will do automatically. Don't actually put X's, leave those with what is already there just change the 3rd space to 8; this enables the option to select to turn on and off "rain sensing" in the vehicle settings under "wipers".

-Now if you leave your headlights in the auto position they will only turn on if the rain sensor detects water and the wiper stalk is in auto position, instead of the headlights staying on if the stalk is left in the int. position.

And thats it! It seems intensive but it took me about an afternoon and cost about $250 give or take, this was a great mod for the price. I hope someone finds this useful!

View attachment Auto Wipers.pdf

View attachment Rain Sensor.pdf

wisaabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the complete part number for 14B242? I've found a -A, B, C, and E variation. Most say they are for a F150 and those that don't indicate F150 do not indicate any particular vehicle.

Also, can you PM me the wiring diagrams as they are not linked to your post any longer.

OP
OP

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have the specific part number, however if you go to foreparts.com and select a 2015 mustang and enter in the search 14B242 you will see all the available selections. Select either coupe or convertible with auto wiper.

Attachments

wisaabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have the specific part number, however if you go to foreparts.com and select a 2015 mustang and enter in the search 14B242 you will see all the available selections. Select either coupe or convertible with auto wiper.
Thank for the help!

Sponsored

OP
OP

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Getting ready to start on this retrofit. Are you aware of anything that would be different for an 18?

Also, I may have made the mistake of getting a windshield for both ACC and the Rain sensor. Does that mean I need a diffferent part number for that MIrror base/Rain Sensor Cover?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is replacing the windshield an absolute necessity??

Can’t the rain sensor mounting bracket be purchased separately or one possibly fabricated to mount to an existing non-rain sensor windshield?

macolinob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bret
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hello,

For anyone wanting to do a 2017 Coupe the wiring harness needed is FR3Z-14B242-C I just did mine today and went pretty well. If others wanted to do it in my area, it could be done in well under 2 hours.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/djQJMDZqEacSuDWUA

Thanks,

Bret M.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Is replacing the windshield an absolute necessity??

Can’t the rain sensor mounting bracket be purchased separately or one possibly fabricated to mount to an existing non-rain sensor windshield?

Possibly but it would look pretty strange. This is how the windshield is designed. It needs a clear area and the bracket holds the sensor in and allows the cover to mount over it.

IMG_2942.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco Premium
Before installing your new harness you'll need to remove pin 3 (yellow wire) and pin 9 (green wire) from the 16 pin connector at the base of the new harness that plugs in at the bottom of the drivers side A pillar not from the connectors at the top with the mirror and rain sensor plugs, the pin 3 yellow wire is the LIN data wire from the rain sensor, it needs to be soldered in line with pin 8 (yellow-grey wire) coming from the 12 pin harness on the left, side of the SCCM NOT the bottom, the bottom is the airbag clockspring. The green wire is the hot wire and needs to be soldered to run or accessory power. I ran mine into the engine bay and tapped into the violet-white power wire going to pin 8 at the wiper motor so the rain sensor only has power when the wiper stalk is on, this is how the official diagram shows the rain sensor getting power as well, however im sure any switched power would work. After connecting the LIN data and the power you can plug the new harness in and run it exactly where you took out the old one and plug in the mirror and you'll have an extra connector for the rain sensor. Ground is tapped from the auto dimming mirror inside the new wire harness so don't worry about it. (attached are the official Ford wiring diagrams)
Do you have any pictures of this still? I'm looking at doing this to my 2017, but i'm more visual based. If not, i should be able to get by, i'd just like to be certain i'm doing it right. ^-^

OP
OP

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pictures of this still? I'm looking at doing this to my 2017, but i'm more visual based. If not, i should be able to get by, i'd just like to be certain i'm doing it right. ^-^
No I'm sorry, I didn't think to take any pics while I was doing this project. I can try help you out if you need along the way.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco Premium
Finally got around to doing the install, and everything is going pretty well. My only question is how you got through the firewall? if you made your own hole, went through the passenger side grommet like some other forums are saying to do, or if you did something else? Also how you got to the violet wire easily? Did you take the wipers off and then the plastic cover, or go a different route? sorry for all the specific questions, just haven't had to wire between the cab and the bay before.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Literally you can wire over to your kick panel fuse box and connect the power wire to a switched fuse.
Sponsored