Sponsored

Add me to the list nobody wants to be on .....

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I don't get this. You checked the oil level 4/6 and it was "good", then a week later you are down 2 qts?? Warm vs cold doesn't make much of a difference. The dealer will scribe the dipstick when doing an oil consumption test.
Correct. And no it makes zero sense. I don't have any leaks that I can see. I'll have to talk to the dealership about the scribe marks. Wouldn't that be on the Oasis report if they were doing a oil consumption test even if they determined there was no irregular oil consumption??
Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Correct. And no it makes zero sense. I don't have any leaks that I can see. I'll have to talk to the dealership about the scribe marks. Wouldn't that be on the Oasis report if they were doing a oil consumption test even if they determined there was no irregular oil consumption??
No clue on what shows up on an oasis report. Wish I could take a look at my GT350 to see if I have the original dipstick that the dealer scribed after my long block was replaced. The car is in FL, I'm in NJ for another 6 weeks.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I check my oil before each drive (once per day). I dont have any issues, but maybe because im OCD about my Rs. It only takes a min.
It needs to be warm before you check it. Don't check it cold. That does make a difference. So if you checked it before you drove it and it was cold, its going to be off. Get it warmed up, then let it sit 10 minutes. Then check it. If you check it once you stop, its going to read low till all of that oil makes it way down to the pan if you dont wait. This is all in the manual.
There’s checking the oil to make sure is within the dots and then there’s checking the oil to see if it’s even registering or not...

People that don’t check the oil do so at their own peril. At this point, with what we know about this engine, checking to see if it’s registering should be part of any pre operation check.

Also, when checking for adequate level (warmed up, sitting for 15 minutes on level ground) between the dots is ADEQUATE. No need to add at any level BETWEEN THE DOTS.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Ninjak, sorry to read this. I hope the dealership takes care of you.

I bought mine in February with 2800 miles. Had the dealership do a new oil change before buying it. Kind of a waste but I changed it again a short time later using AMSOIL at roughly 3,018 miles.

I check mine before I drive it. I've driven it quite a bit. Partially because I want to determine if I have any issues. But mostly because I love driving this car. Prior to this past Saturday (4/13), the last time I had driven it was the weekend before (4/6). Oil level was good. However, Sat morning 4/13 I checked my oil level and the stick was dry. I checked and rechecked and nothing. I even had my neighbor come look and yep the stick was dry. So I added one quart. Let it settle and checked. Oil registered just below the bottom hole. I added half a quart, then the remainder of the 2nd quart. Oil does register above the hole but not to my liking so I have ordered more oil and will not drive it until I do an oil change to ensure visually that all 10 quarts is added. I hate that I cannot trust the dealership. Last oil change was done at 3,018 miles. Currently have 6,189. So within 3,171 miles the motor has consumed 2+ quarts of oil. I do have a passenger side catch can. But.....my mistake is that I haven't been good about measuring what is captured. I will now.

I feel for Ninjak and wish him the best. I'm posting my experience to see if there are similarities with anyone else having oil consumption or failures.

****I forgot to mention this. There are scribe marks on my dipstick. One on the front and one on the backside just below the top hole. It's obvious that there may have been some concern of oil consumption from the previous owner. However, nothing is mentioned in the Oasis report or the Carfax report. If the car had been a buyback due to oil consumption, then that would have been notated on the Oasis report correct?
Are your exhaust tips black from soot ?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Corey, always change your own oil. This way you always know the correct amount was added, the right kind of oil, and the filter has been torqued properly.

So many of the oil loss stories is because the dealer didn't do the job right.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
Corey, always change your own oil. This way you always know the correct amount was added, the right kind of oil, and the filter has been torqued properly.

So many of the oil loss stories is because the dealer didn't do the job right.
I agree and plan to. We need to get together for a spin.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
UPDATE:

So the dealer gave me a call this morning. Told me that the engine is locked..(really?) but did say something interesting. They told me OIL IS IN THE ENGINE. Said that my oil was at the first hole mark. So hmm...did the pick-up fail ? They said they now need to tear down the engine to see the cause. Bad news they think it may take a while because there (heavy line) ?? is behind. I guess those are the guys that do engine work. Also said I should have no issues with my warranty. Nothing he would could think on why Ford would refuse it. So let's hope he's right.

Seems I may be down for a while. :frown:

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to h
UPDATE:

So the dealer gave me a call this morning. Told me that the engine is locked..(really?) but did say something interesting. They told me OIL IS IN THE ENGINE. Said that my oil was at the first hole mark. So hmm...did the pick-up fail ? They said they now need to tear down the engine to see the cause. Bad news they think it may take a while because there (heavy line) ?? is behind. I guess those are the guys that do engine work. Also said I should have no issues with my warranty. Nothing he would could think on why Ford would refuse it. So let's hope he's right.

Sorry to read this. Hopefully replacement goes through smoothly and without any further headaches for you. Glad that there is the right amount of oil in the pan!!!!

Sponsored

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
UPDATE:

So the dealer gave me a call this morning. Told me that the engine is locked..(really?) but did say something interesting. They told me OIL IS IN THE ENGINE. Said that my oil was at the first hole mark. So hmm...did the pick-up fail ? They said they now need to tear down the engine to see the cause. ... So let's hope he's right.

Ford won't let them tear down the engine. Scope only.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I wonder if this is an oil pump pickup issue like one owner reported
oil sump o ring failure.png

czaustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manuals and DCT
Im real sorry to hear about your engine failure, and for others like you that I have read about.

All this talk about checking the oil like its your blood pressure is quite a joke on a car that is marketed and sold as a track car and that dealers mark up like no other. I have more important things to do with my time than to worry about if my engine is going to crap out. Ford engineers as well as testing and quality control should be ashamed. While my R is a beast and a blast, this is my last Ford. No, I am not a troll...

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Well considering I being told the oil was at the 1st hole, I guess it's not burning it...thats a silver lining right ? right !? I just have another catastrophic issue...
Sponsored