Sponsored

Add me to the list nobody wants to be on .....

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Yes, that's what I heard, it's the viscosity dropping quickly.

Wait, coffee is up to $5 at McD's now?!!
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
... but I did want to ask if anyone using Amsoil has ever experienced a problem...
I'm not sure that question is actually fair to Amsoil. From what I've all read on a bunch of forums, Voodoo engine problems don't trace back to lubricant failures. Valve guides, oil pump gears, spun bearings and a number of other possible causes have been debated, but there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. Some engines fail and most don't. Drawing a connection between any specialty lubricant and failures or their absence based on a few anecdotes could be highly misleading, in either direction. Of course, this is the internet...

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Actually, the dig is against Motorcraft, and pro Amsoil. At least that's what others are trying to imply.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually, the dig is against Motorcraft, and pro Amsoil. At least that's what others are trying to imply.
I get that, and I was just pointing out that when an engine fails with Motorcraft oil in it, the focus is on mechanical problems, but if an engine fails with Amsoil in it, the headline would be about the oil, which would be quite unfair to a company that makes a good product.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I get that, and I was just pointing out that when an engine fails with Motorcraft oil in it, the focus is on mechanical problems, but if an engine fails with Amsoil in it, the headline would be about the oil, which would be quite unfair to a company that makes a good product.
Meh, I think I slightly disagree. Has anyone ever been asked “what brand of oil do you have in here?” Has a dealer ever been requested by mother to send off for an oil analysis when someone comes in for a warranty claim? I’ve never heard of such.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
My engine failed because #3 and #7 rods gave way. Ford rep nor the dealer ask me what oil I was running. For the record, I had Motorcraft in it. In truth, this is the first I have heard of this analysis of engine failure.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Well, my thinking is that I have an extended warranty, and using MC certainly won't jeopardize that. Using another brand shouldn't jeopardize that, but why give them any ammunition?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are some out there who claim that the Motorcraft oil may be prone to problems. I don't know it all nor do I believe Ford would allow it, but what I read was that the oil may not hold up under extreme conditions, which could cause the same fallout as oil starvation. Also, they said that the MC oil is likely to evaporate. Now, I find that really had to believe, but I did want to ask if anyone using Amsoil has ever experienced a problem.

Are those the only two oils that meet Ford's requirements?
Symptoms of engine wear are reduced power and low oil pressure. I realize people are snobby about oils, but there have been zero reports that I've seen with people having engines that have worn out due to Motorcraft oil not protecting the engine adequately.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My engine failed because #3 and #7 rods gave way. Ford rep nor the dealer ask me what oil I was running. For the record, I had Motorcraft in it. In truth, this is the first I have heard of this analysis of engine failure.
The reason for the rod failure wasn't related to the oil you were running, so there was no need for them to ask about it.
Sponsored