Sponsored

Add me to the list nobody wants to be on .....

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Glad it worked out. I’d keep the new motor stock if I was you. To have an aftermarket tune and throw rods and get a new motor under warranty, is quite lucky. Most of us that got new motors got the R version. I’m not sure if I got a new harness like you said. I’ll go look now. I know they did put new oil cooler lines in. In my region you never get to go to the service bay. Well Porsche allows it. Ford does not.
Sponsored

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
R motor or non R motor does it really matter. Nope !
Glad it worked out for you, definitely am but still in disbelief that it did.
Having a tune in the car would of been cut and dry for 99.9 % of the mustang world. You must of saved someone's life that day and karma came back around.
The voodoo motor is very unpredictable man and longevity, well forget about it. Its only been around a few year - so yeah there's that.
Its still not the reason I got rid of mine. There were two reasons. The one reason I won't talk about because I don't want to start an up roar on your thread. The other one is the fact that my 2018 model sucked down a shit boat of oil. My catch can was completely full after 800 miles. Wasn't dealing with that headache and worrying about when my car was blowing up next. Easy fix - car gone and don't miss it one bit. Well maybe a little , lol.
I'm one of those guys that believes everything happens for a reason. Couldn't be happier now.

Again glad it worked out for you but think twice next time you add a tune and tiny power. See if its worth it. Doubt tear down number two will be so lucky (hopefully never happens).

Also man Betty is Fxxxxg beautiful dude !!

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was told that it was not the oil pickup assembly as I had thought, but then I heard the voice and the conversation ceased. I think its something at the crank or what I have been seeing is the little "ring piece" coming apart ? Forgive I am not sure what that is called. The manager was doing a lot of "read in between the lines" talk when I asked certain questions, so I let it go until I can get there and see for myself.
that sounds a little like oil pump gear. Not sure why the rods would break aside from an oil failure.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
If oil pump failed then no lubrication and the pistons could seize I suppose and snap the rods.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I agree, but I was told that the oil assembly was fine ? Also the gasket to it was fine. It took a hit from the rod letting go, but they felt it was good before that. Something seems off, and since I did not see the engine, I may never know. Maybe when or IF I get the pics I see what happened. For now I need to get Sasha space ready again. I'll be happy to have her back. One other thing i was surprised about as well. Though the headers did not cause the issue, I was sure they were going to say, we will not put them back on. Well nope. The engine on the lift IS my new engine and the headers are already installed and ready to go. I found that to be a bit like hmmmm ok. I'm not going to complain. I mean my whole argument was based on that so why not put them back on.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I agree, but I was told that the oil assembly was fine ? Also the gasket to it was fine. It took a hit from the rod letting go, but they felt it was good before that. Something seems off, and since I did not see the engine, I may never know. Maybe when or IF I get the pics I see what happened. For now I need to get Sasha space ready again. I'll be happy to have her back. One other thing i was surprised about as well. Though the headers did not cause the issue, I was sure they were going to say, we will not put them back on. Well nope. The engine on the lift IS my new engine and the headers are already installed and ready to go. I found that to be a bit like hmmmm ok. I'm not going to complain. I mean my whole argument was based on that so why not put them back on.
I think they would need to take the oil pump housing apart in order to easily view the parts. Which I doubt they did. The inner ring is visible and that one is rugged. The outer ring not so much.

You could ask them to put the factory headers back on to minimize any future warranty uncertainties although it would be a little awkward.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE:

It's all over. Sasha is back home were she belongs, and in need of a good cleaning. A ReAL good cleaning. The engine inside is indeed the 19K GT350R Also Ford reinstalled my headers and adjusted for them. So I have not reloaded my tune. All is good, no codes, no bloops.

Now from the report it says:

After the the customer has headers and tune part, removed engine, removed oil pan, piston #3 and #7 rods came apart, causing major damage to the block sending metal throughout the block. Ford says replace engine.
That's the short of it.

I also received the new oil pressure sending unit, intake manifold, oil cooler. Driving home she felt good. Felt..a little peppier down low. Not sure whats that about, maybe a different or new calibration ?
Anyway its all done. I'm happy to have my baby back, and now it's time to continue the journey.

So stay tuned, or maybe not ? :wink:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I suggest carefully going over all the hoses and connections. I had to reposition the clamp for my overflow tank and another one on the water pump. The overflow tank was not on the nipple and the clamp on the hose to the pump was a bit off, when I had mine done.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Congratulations!!! Happy it has all seemed to work out. I have 900 miles of break in so far in one week. MAAAAAAAN this motor pulls like a Tijuana whore on a dollar bill!! Have not gone WOT as of yet. But the motor is strong. You'll see. :)

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DCShelby:

Yes I'm going to do that. I did have a chance today, I did a quick once over, but not thorough. I'll make sure I take care of that before I take her out seriously.

@ LFG_Cory Thanks. :) I have to say she did feel a little different on the way home, and that was street driving.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Congrats again dude. How did you verify it is an R motor instead of the regular 350?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I thought it was resolved that the "R" designation (when it comes to replacement motors) is exactly that.... a replacement motor.

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats again dude. How did you verify it is an R motor instead of the regular 350?
By the part number on the engine crate. Also it helps when the Ford rep calls you and tells you that is what it is.

I thought it was resolved that the "R" designation (when it comes to replacement motors) is exactly that.... a replacement motor.
Resolve by whom ? The same people who said no way Ford would fix my vehicle ?

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
By the part number on the engine crate. Also it helps when the Ford rep calls you and tells you that is what it is.

Resolve by whom ? The same people who said no way Ford would fix my vehicle ?
Right on ! Glad you came out unscathed on this one.
Sponsored