Sponsored

Add me to the list nobody wants to be on .....

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Went out on a spirited drive last night with a few buddies. One of our guys just bought the new M3 carbon light. Nice car. Everything was fine, was not even hammering it hard, coming around the bend on 95 the car did a hard shudder...I thought what the ???? Then it did another, I was already out of gear and pulling over, then the low OIL light pop on and then...nothing.

I was on a blind curve on 95 sitting in the middle lane. DEAD. Two near misses, and I decided to let the car roll back, and I went down the on ramp to get off the highway. Rolled onto a off street and called AAA. Checked the oil and yep. Nothing.

I just had the oil done not so long ago, and I just hit 6k miles that Friday. So off to Ford we go. Just hopping I do not get any BS...

Sigh.......
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Went out on a spirited drive last night with a few buddies. One of our guys just bought the new M3 carbon light. Nice car. Everything was fine, was not even hammering it hard, coming around the bend on 95 the car did a hard shudder...I thought what the ???? Then it did another, I was already out of gear and pulling over, then the low OIL light pop on and then...nothing.

I was on a blind curve on 95 sitting in the middle lane. DEAD. Two near misses, and I decided to let the car roll back, and I went down the on ramp to get off the highway. Rolled onto a off street and called AAA. Checked the oil and yep. Nothing.

I just had the oil done not so long ago, and I just hit 6k miles that Friday. So off to Ford we go. Just hopping I do not get any BS...

Sigh.......
When’s the last time you checked the oil level?
Who changed the oil?
Spin on or cartridge oil filter?
Oil pressure switch?
What year is your car?

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When’s the last time you checked the oil level?
Who changed the oil?
Spin on or cartridge oil filter?
Oil pressure switch?
What year is your car?
About 2 months ago
AutoNation Ford
cartridge
Did not check the switch

The car is not a daily. I bought it July 10th 2017 I changed the oil at 3500 and it was fine. Was not burning a lot. As I said as of right now I am at 6020. I have not been at any events, this is basically me driving 22 miles to and from work on Friday's, and some Saturday drives. Honestly this is the first time in a loooong time I actually took it out for a good highway drive.

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350
About 2 months ago
AutoNation Ford
cartridge
Did not check the switch

The car is not a daily. I bought it July 10th 2017 I changed the oil at 3500 and it was fine. Was not burning a lot. As I said as of right now I am at 6020. I have not been at any events, this is basically me driving 22 miles to and from work on Friday's, and some Saturday drives. Honestly this is the first time in a loooong time I actually took it out for a good highway drive.
Damn I also drive 22 miles to and from on Friday's, and some Saturday/Sunday drives. I always check oil level after filling gas.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You really have to check every other fillup. When they start to use oil it can get worse pretty fast. I was down to 125 miles per quart when I got my new motor.

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear this. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I check mine every fill up and change my oil after every track day (once every 30 to 60 days). Don't go over 4-5 k rpm until the oil temp is at 150 to 200. No oil consumption and 5k+ miles - mostly track miles.

Hope your dealer takes care of you and you get back on the road soon!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I will be checking from now on ! I am a little bum because I thought I had escape the bad oil engine blues. Well hopefully I do not have any issues. I took my catch can off....Was not full...did just to not have to wonder where it went.

Oh I was way pass warm up. Had been driving for 30 mins on~off at least. I really should have checked. But I felt that since I had not driven I should be good. Lesson learned.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Ninjak, sorry to read this. I hope the dealership takes care of you.

I bought mine in February with 2800 miles. Had the dealership do a new oil change before buying it. Kind of a waste but I changed it again a short time later using AMSOIL at roughly 3,018 miles.

I check mine before I drive it. I've driven it quite a bit. Partially because I want to determine if I have any issues. But mostly because I love driving this car. Prior to this past Saturday (4/13), the last time I had driven it was the weekend before (4/6). Oil level was good. However, Sat morning 4/13 I checked my oil level and the stick was dry. I checked and rechecked and nothing. I even had my neighbor come look and yep the stick was dry. So I added one quart. Let it settle and checked. Oil registered just below the bottom hole. I added half a quart, then the remainder of the 2nd quart. Oil does register above the hole but not to my liking so I have ordered more oil and will not drive it until I do an oil change to ensure visually that all 10 quarts is added. I hate that I cannot trust the dealership. Last oil change was done at 3,018 miles. Currently have 6,189. So within 3,171 miles the motor has consumed 2+ quarts of oil. I do have a passenger side catch can. But.....my mistake is that I haven't been good about measuring what is captured. I will now.

I feel for Ninjak and wish him the best. I'm posting my experience to see if there are similarities with anyone else having oil consumption or failures.

****I forgot to mention this. There are scribe marks on my dipstick. One on the front and one on the backside just below the top hole. It's obvious that there may have been some concern of oil consumption from the previous owner. However, nothing is mentioned in the Oasis report or the Carfax report. If the car had been a buyback due to oil consumption, then that would have been notated on the Oasis report correct?

Last edited:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
It needs to be warm before you check it. Don't check it cold. That does make a difference. So if you checked it before you drove it and it was cold, its going to be off. Get it warmed up, then let it sit 10 minutes. Then check it. If you check it once you stop, its going to read low till all of that oil makes it way down to the pan if you dont wait. This is all in the manual.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
It needs to be warm before you check it. Don't check it cold. That does make a difference. So if you checked it before you drove it and it was cold, its going to be off. Get it warmed up, then let it sit 10 minutes. Then check it. If you check it once you stop, its going to read low till all of that oil makes it way down to the pan if you dont wait. This is all in the manual.
I'll take the car for a spin and recheck it tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Ninjak, sorry to read this. I hope the dealership takes care of you.

I bought mine in February with 2800 miles. Had the dealership do a new oil change before buying it. Kind of a waste but I changed it again a short time later using AMSOIL at roughly 3,018 miles.

I check mine before I drive it. I've driven it quite a bit. Partially because I want to determine if I have any issues. But mostly because I love driving this car. Prior to this past Saturday (4/13), the last time I had driven it was the weekend before (4/6). Oil level was good. However, Sat morning 4/13 I checked my oil level and the stick was dry. I checked and rechecked and nothing. I even had my neighbor come look and yep the stick was dry. So I added one quart. Let it settle and checked. Oil registered just below the bottom hole. I added half a quart, then the remainder of the 2nd quart. Oil does register above the hole but not to my liking so I have ordered more oil and will not drive it until I do an oil change to ensure visually that all 10 quarts is added. I hate that I cannot trust the dealership. Last oil change was done at 3,018 miles. Currently have 6,189. So within 3,171 miles the motor has consumed 2+ quarts of oil. I do have a passenger side catch can. But.....my mistake is that I haven't been good about measuring what is captured. I will now.

I feel for Ninjak and wish him the best. I'm posting my experience to see if there are similarities with anyone else having oil consumption or failures.

****I forgot to mention this. There are scribe marks on my dipstick. One on the front and one on the backside just below the top hole. It's obvious that there may have been some concern of oil consumption from the previous owner. However, nothing is mentioned in the Oasis report or the Carfax report. If the car had been a buyback due to oil consumption, then that would have been notated on the Oasis report correct?
I don't get this. You checked the oil level 4/6 and it was "good", then a week later you are down 2 qts?? Warm vs cold doesn't make much of a difference. The dealer will scribe the dipstick when doing an oil consumption test.
Sponsored