OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Me too - but I don;t know how that's logged or the process/protocol for checking it. Never heard anyone say they were denied in all this time - and I'm sure at least someone money shifted it. The car doesn't technically know what gear you are in, so a failure at the moment of such a fast/catastrophic over-rev might look pretty crazy in the logs...maybe similar to just a failure? I really dont know - just thinking... Anyway, my point is that it's common to focus on a specific part that we know is broken - but it doesn't mean that is the part that failed :)
An over rev throws a code, which is resettable and not stored permanently. At least, that’s what I’ve been told.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Quick update. Ford initially approved a short block and head replacement… until the dealership found out they’re on a 3-6 month backorder. So, the dealership asked ford for authorization for a long block, and ford approved. Apparently longblocks can be had in 8 business days.

For others who’ve been through this and got an extended warranty out of the deal, how exactly did you go about doing it? I have the 8yr-36k mile warranty, but since I plan to sell the car as soon as it’s back in my possession, I’d love to lobby ford for more mileage in the warranty to improve my selling position. Is that something you had to call ford about, or was it handled through the dealership?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Quick update. Ford initially approved a short block and head replacement… until the dealership found out they’re on a 3-6 month backorder. So, the dealership asked ford for authorization for a long block, and ford approved. Apparently longblocks can be had in 8 business days.

For others who’ve been through this and got an extended warranty out of the deal, how exactly did you go about doing it? I have the 8yr-36k mile warranty, but since I plan to sell the car as soon as it’s back in my possession, I’d love to lobby ford for more mileage in the warranty to improve my selling position. Is that something you had to call ford about, or was it handled through the dealership?
Thats great news - I always like the idea of a factory sealed longblock vs letting the dealer tinker with it. Lot of parts in that valvetrain to make mistakes on.

skim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
HEP GT350, C6Z06
Wow sorry to hear but good that Ford is taking care of you.
But this isn't an engine issue per say, more like spark plug that caused this?

Sponsored

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Wow sorry to hear but good that Ford is taking care of you.
But this isn't an engine issue per say, more like spark plug that caused this?
The spark plug was just collateral damage. A valve found itself in the cylinder and beat the living crap out of everything it touched, including the spark plug.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I know I get beat up everytime I suggest harmonics or standing waves that were a surprise are causing problems with Ford's flatplane crank.

I do know of a bridge that mechanical engineers need a 16 page dissertation to explain it's demise, where electrical engineers look at the facts and say in one page standing waves destroyed it.
Before even finishing reading this piqued my EE brained curiosity (I did all of my math & physics undergrad classes with ME's so resonances & failure analogies have always been fun - now I work with resonant lasers).....standing wave of what? loads through rods? Valve train synchronicity? The failure itself of collision doesn't make the actual cuase & circumstances obvious. Wondering what exactly the root cause failure theory here is before applying terms like harmonics & standing waves to it.

Reading on....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm thinking it is setting up a resonant frequency of the block itself, or maybe the heads.

Would be fun to have the ability to prove or disprove this theory.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I'm thinking it is setting up a resonant frequency of the block itself, or maybe the heads.

We usually model the theory 1st because you have to control variables in order to isolate cause from effect. This isn't like tuning out a buzz on a compressor or drum head or speaker cabinet by adding padding or mass here & there. Those are repeatable non-catastrophic events. It more like the resonant cavity lasers I work on - problems are a b*tch to chase because its complicated and you can't tear down the complicated exotic gas pressurized system without effecting the things you'd like to test....so your model better be detailed enough to be a viable simulation to find root causes of losses, resonance, stress etc.
If only this stuff was a basic as the Tacoma Narrows & other favorite simple analogies.

Last edited:

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
Before even finishing reading this piqued my EE brained curiosity (I did all of my math & physics undergrad classes with ME's so resonances & failure analogies have always been fun - now I work with resonant lasers).....standing wave of what? loads through rods? Valve train synchronicity? The failure itself of collision doesn't make the actual cuase & circumstances obvious. Wondering what exactly the root cause failure theory here is before applying terms like harmonics & standing waves to it.

Reading on....
Because in this case its not.

Crawling around the car the engineers have done enough vibrational analysis to know if it would cause an issue with the valves/springs. This apparently is not a voodoo limited issue, searching around the 6.2 and predator engines drop valves from spring failures and it was admitted there was a bad batch of valve springs from the supplier.

It would be a very simple thing to prevent if it was a harmonics based issue. 2nd valve spring, variable spring, different weight spring. Just shift the natural frequency over a bit to get it out of phase.

If it was an inherent issue I would lean more toward valvetrain design over voodoo specific issues.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
From watching and reading the GT350 forum, the primary issue with failed engines feel in two categories, one was oil consumption and the other was dropped valves. The oil consumption was addressed in 2017-18 and I have not seen it reported since the 2019+ builds. The valve issue seems to have surfaced with post May 2019 built vehicles and into 2020 models. I have previously asked we track the motor build dates to see if there was a window where the dropped vales started to appear. I do not think it was motor builder related, but I doubt we could find out if a certain supply of valves were culprit. Early 2019 builds were typically 2 assemblers, but by spring 2019 resources were shifted to the Predator. Likely a timing coincidence.

From what I have read there seems to be a window of 2018 to Spring of 2019 where failures were not reported? I can be wrong, and someone may chime in. But I'd ask again if we could compile the failures from oil burn with motor build dates and the same for valve related failures.
Mine is #3497 so a late build 2018 (June 2018). I guess we will see :giggle:

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So I finally got the car back this last weekend after being down for two months.

New long block, new transmission, new oil cooler, new.... lots of other stuff. $35k worth. Around day 40 I reached out to ford customer service and got them to give me a free scheduled maintenance plan for 5yr/60k miles (oil changes, air filters, alignments, tire rotations....). I asked for an additional extended warranty on top of what I already have, but they said the system wont allow them to add an ESP on top of an ESP. They said if I wanted to cash out my ESP, then I could request an ESP from them, and may or may not get one. It was a bit infuriating to be honest but whatever. I figured it wasn't worth the risk so I just accepted the free maintenance.

The car is currently for sale if anyone knows someone looking. I figured its the perfect time to sell with a whole new powertrain and values pretty high.

IMG_3686.jpeg

Last edited:

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So I finally got the car back this last weekend after being down for two months.

New long block, new transmission, new oil cooler, new.... lots of other stuff. $35k worth. Around day 40 I reached out to ford customer service and got them to give me a free scheduled maintenance plan for 5yr/60k miles (oil changes, air filters, alignments, tire rotations....). I asked for an additional extended warranty on top of what I already have, but they said the system wont allow them to add an ESP on top of an ESP. They said if I wanted to cash out my ESP, then I could request an ESP from them, and may or may not get one. It was a bit infuriating to be honest but whatever. I figured it wasn't worth the risk so I just accepted the free maintenance.

The car is currently for sale if anyone knows someone looking. I figured its the perfect time to sell with a whole new powertrain and values pretty high.

IMG_3686.jpeg
They were speaking the truth. If you have an ESP, you can't add (stack). If you extend an ESP, the extension starts that day, not at the end and the first ESP goes away.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Glad you finally got your car back. Ironically, mine is back at the dealer as of this morning. (See thread: Transmission installation screwup) Hopefully your dealer did a better job of putting things back together than mine has the past couple visits. :curse:

I mentioned your car just last week to my neighbor who was looking, but he bought a used GT500 instead. I'll pass it along if I hear of anyone else in the market. Cheers. :beer:

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Glad you finally got your car back. Ironically, mine is back at the dealer as of this morning. (See thread: Transmission installation screwup) Hopefully your dealer did a better job of putting things back together than mine has the past couple visits. :curse:

I mentioned your car just last week to my neighbor who was looking, but he bought a used GT500 instead. I'll pass it along if I hear of anyone else in the market. Cheers. :beer:
Oh man… sorry to hear about your luck. Which dealer?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.