Not open for further replies.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have a friend from Haiti, she says it is not vibration, harmonics standing waves or anything else physical. Ford should not have named it "voodoo". The spirits are not happy.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have a friend from Haiti, she says it is not vibration, harmonics standing waves or anything else physical. Ford should not have named it "voodoo". The spirits are not happy.
I think the codename for the early development was "hummingbird".

Then after some further analysis it was determined that they will need some special "voodoo" to keep the engine from shaking itself apart.

It's a novel idea, and exotic as well.

I think there is a reason Kevin is converting to a CPC. I have talked with many others knowledgeable in the field who agree.

Vuudoooo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Sorry to hear about your car, my 2020 dumped valve at 8 at 2000 miles, Had a new one installed in 12 days under warrenty and nursing it back to health now with 2000 on the replacement. The sticker claims its a 2021 build and hopefully they've made the necessary changes to eliminate the secret problem.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Sorry to hear about your car, my 2020 dumped valve at 8 at 2000 miles, Had a new one installed in 12 days under warrenty and nursing it back to health now with 2000 on the replacement. The sticker claims its a 2021 build and hopefully they've made the necessary changes to eliminate the secret problem.
Thanks, and likewise!

Interesting how so many of the 2020’s dropped a valve in cylinder 8. any track use prior to the failure. Did the failure happen at high rpm or some other way?

Any track use o

Vuudoooo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
It did have some track use, and I was on track when it happened, no prior warning, no sounds.
They black flagged the guy behind me and I mistakenly thought it was me. Came in to talk to the pit boss and he waved me on, it died right his feet and wouldn't restart. Lucky. Put it in the trailer and took it right to the dealer, it tokk out plug 8, the head of the valve was bent and took out a chunk of the block inside. Mine was not part of the timing recall but had it checked anyway. The mechanic removing the old block said it was not an issue.

Sponsored

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Sorry to hear about your engine, pilotgore! Hopefully they will get it fixed up for you quickly and painlessly.

Like all 350 owners, I hate hearing stories about the engines failing. I just took my 2020 350R on an 11 day, 3k mile road trip with many pulls all the way through 4th and 5th gears on deserted stretches of road. I was initially slightly worried about taking the car on the trip but, thankfully, it held together and didn't consume any oil. Car has about 7600 miles right now.

Vuudoooo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I have to wonder how long Ford will produce this motor until they run out of them for the 2019/2020 folks who are still under warranty.
The mechanic told me "you race it, you break it, we'll fix it", as long as Ford says so.
He stated it would have been a $35,000 job without warranty with labor and all the extra parts.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I guess you've never heard of the LS7. A few years ago I was shopping for a C6 Z06. After researching the LS7 I was not confident that it was a good idea to buy a vehicle with that engine, especially used. I have a lot more confidence in the Voodoo than I do in an LS7 based on my reading. I agree Coyotes (especially prior to the PTWA cylinder bores) have been pretty good.

I have seen people say that but is reliability really the reason? I remember the Voodoo made way too much power and would have won every race, so it needed a lot of restriction to keep the races more even. IMO they should have just let the GT350 cars win every race. The car is superior to the others, IMO it should win.

Anyway, they went to a Coyote, which still needed to be restricted, but not as much. And I'm sure the Coyote was cheaper to run. Without strong evidence that the Voodoos were breaking all the time, I believe the engine change was made merely to save money. I don't believe that change is evidence of a problem with the Voodoo.

It's normal in real racing to tear down and rebuild engines frequently. So they decided they'd prefer to do that with $7K engines rather than $20K engines. Who could fault them for that, especially when the $7K engines make more power than they needed?
"Restrictions" to make it more "fair" is not uncommon. Before NASCAR went to identical chassis, wheelbase, etc., etc. when you could tell a T-Bird from a Monte Carlo from a long way off, they forced everyone to run restrictor plates because some of the Monte Carlos were going airborne over 200 mph whereas the T-Birds could exceed it without having control issues. Back then, I felt like they should've let the T-Birds "fly" since they had some advantage in design/aerodynamics but they wanted to slow everyone down. After the restrictor plates got mandated the T-Birds no longer dominated. Today when you look at the NASCAR Cup cars, you would have a hard time determining what manufacturer it was if you removed all the fake decals front and rear. Back in the day, they actually ran the actual production body/chassis so there was a clear difference in the length, width and shape of the cars.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I disagree that CPC engines are automatically more reliable, but I guess if you add "all other things being equal" it is possible. For example, Ford has never made an 8,250 RPM Coyote. My assumption is the Coyote would destroy itself in short order if you tried to run it regularly at 8,250. Or at least, it wouldn't hold up to Ford's internal requirements for durability.

If they did the best they could to make the Coyote run at 8,250 - even spending more money than they did on the Voodoo - would it be more reliable than the Voodoo? I'm going to say I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford's engineers know, however.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Voodoo with a 7,500 rpm redline and a few other minor changes would hold up a lot longer and be comparable to a Coyote in reliability.
I'd have to agree with you on that; there's a fairly good difference between 7500 and 8250 rpm. I guess it would be like comparing the Coyote reliability to the Camaro SS reliability such that if the Coyote was held to a 6000 rpm redline like the Camaro, it probably would run forever with barely any issues.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The biggest problem I have found over the years with engines capable of high revs is people NOT revving them and then after 60,000 miles of being babied someone revs them to redline. Usually ends up breaking a ring or ring land.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'd have to agree with you on that; there's a fairly good difference between 7500 and 8250 rpm. I guess it would be like comparing the Coyote reliability to the Camaro SS reliability such that if the Coyote was held to a 6000 rpm redline like the Camaro, it probably would run forever with barely any issues.
Camaro V8 has had a 6500 rpm redline since 2010. The old LS1 in the late 90s had a 6000 rpm redline, though. IMO an engine like the Coyote with a 7500 rpm redline should have components that can easily handle that engine speed, and not break even if ran to that speed regularly. There is some ambiguity with the Gen 3 Coyote's 7500 rpm redline, though. The digital gauges show 7400 rpm, while the marketing material and analog gauges appear to show 7500 rpm ("redline" on the analog gauges appears halfway between 7 and 8k).

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the forum, but Ford is also having a valves dropping in the the Bronco 2.7 V6, destroying the engine. Perhaps the valve manufacturer is the same source?

From watching and reading the GT350 forum, the primary issue with failed engines feel in two categories, one was oil consumption and the other was dropped valves. The oil consumption was addressed in 2017-18 and I have not seen it reported since the 2019+ builds. The valve issue seems to have surfaced with post May 2019 built vehicles and into 2020 models. I have previously asked we track the motor build dates to see if there was a window where the dropped vales started to appear. I do not think it was motor builder related, but I doubt we could find out if a certain supply of valves were culprit. Early 2019 builds were typically 2 assemblers, but by spring 2019 resources were shifted to the Predator. Likely a timing coincidence.

From what I have read there seems to be a window of 2018 to Spring of 2019 where failures were not reported? I can be wrong, and someone may chime in. But I'd ask again if we could compile the failures from oil burn with motor build dates and the same for valve related failures.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the forum, but Ford is also having a valves dropping in the the Bronco 2.7 V6, destroying the engine. Perhaps the valve manufacturer is the same source?

From watching and reading the GT350 forum, the primary issue with failed engines feel in two categories, one was oil consumption and the other was dropped valves. The oil consumption was addressed in 2017-18 and I have not seen it reported since the 2019+ builds. The valve issue seems to have surfaced with post May 2019 built vehicles and into 2020 models. I have previously asked we track the motor build dates to see if there was a window where the dropped vales started to appear. I do not think it was motor builder related, but I doubt we could find out if a certain supply of valves were culprit. Early 2019 builds were typically 2 assemblers, but by spring 2019 resources were shifted to the Predator. Likely a timing coincidence.

From what I have read there seems to be a window of 2018 to Spring of 2019 where failures were not reported? I can be wrong, and someone may chime in. But I'd ask again if we could compile the failures from oil burn with motor build dates and the same for valve related failures.
Hey local guy!

Just wanted to point out again that - a dropped valve usually describes the effect of some other failure. Yes, the dropped valve ultimately collides and becomes part of the carnage but something like a failed retainer, cam phaser, chain guide, seized cam, spark plug broken (or any foreign item), valve guide sticking, or a number of other things can lead up to this. Money shifts also can be an issue - consider anything that could cause piston to valve contact would potentially release a retainer. Money shifts happen - and you can bet NO ONE is confessing to that while their $25k engine is under warranty.

Late 19 and early 20 VINs were subject to a recall for a chain tensioner issue. Perhaps some of those cars, even if they visibly checked out OK (there is a TSB for inspecting these) still had an issue?

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I just assumed they'd pull over-rev data (and whatever else they track haha) from the ecu before approving a new engine.
Me too - but I don;t know how that's logged or the process/protocol for checking it. Never heard anyone say they were denied in all this time - and I'm sure at least someone money shifted it. The car doesn't technically know what gear you are in, so a failure at the moment of such a fast/catastrophic over-rev might look pretty crazy in the logs...maybe similar to just a failure? I really dont know - just thinking... Anyway, my point is that it's common to focus on a specific part that we know is broken - but it doesn't mean that is the part that failed :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.