Not open for further replies.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
Of the 9,300 miles you have on the car, how many are track miles? I recall @honeybadger saying a while back that a full refresh should be performed at around 40 hours of track time. I know you are looking at getting the replacement motor under warranty so may not want to say publicly, but you’ve posted A LOT about your track time on here so I personally am viewing this as a car that likely has seen a fair amount of track hours.

The reason I am bringing this up (not trying to call you out for sure, you’ve been a valuable resource on this forum) is that most people reading the post and commenting back about the terrible reliability of the Voodoo motor aren’t considering how much time the car has spent on the track. All motors that see regular track use need maintenance and spinning the motor between 7,000 and 8,250 rpms is a lot different than a weekend trip to cars and coffee. Context is important.

I’m also not suggesting there aren’t some trade offs with the nontraditional FPC, but how the car is used is a significant factor.
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
IMO... Spinning the motor to the mfg's redline shouldn't cause failure regardless if done on street or track. If so, the mfg is to blame not the consumer. It's within the warrantied parameters of a car marketed as track ready.

I don't recall seeing ANY mention of cars and coffee in any of Fords marketing on this car.

Wonder how many 1LE ZL1's have similar failures... or M3/M4.... or Supras... or Miatas lol

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Near the end of the 2019 production run… reminds me of all the 2020’s that dropped valves…

Thanks, very glad it’s under warranty.
Weren't the late production 2019's included in the Timing Belt tensioner TSB? Did you ever check your Vin# against the list?

Attachments

Jamongkad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Weren't the late production 2019's included in the Timing Belt tensioner TSB? Did you ever check your Vin# against the list?
Interesting, I'm no engineer but could the timing belt tensioner contribute to a dropped valve?

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
IMO... Spinning the motor to the mfg's redline shouldn't cause failure regardless if done on street or track. If so, the mfg is to blame not the consumer. It's within the warrantied parameters of a car marketed as track ready.

I don't recall seeing ANY mention of cars and coffee in any of Fords marketing on this car.

Wonder how many 1LE ZL1's have similar failures... or M3/M4.... or Supras... or Miatas lol
Sure, spinning the motor to redline isn’t the issue. Extended track use? If it’s understood by the people who spend a lot of time on track that a refresh is needed at around X number of hours of track time, why would a car market by Ford as “track-capable” not be subject to the same mechanical limitations? I’m just amazed at some of the Chicken Little responses to the Voodoo. Are we really surprised when the motor pops in a heavily tracked car?

I drive a GT350R and a 2019 ZLE regularly, often back-to-back on the weekends. The RPM range on the two cars is vastly different, even in normal traffic. The ZLE is far more powerful, and far less fun. The LT4 is out of breath about the same time the Voodoo starts coming on strong.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Sure, spinning the motor to redline isn’t the issue. Extended track use? If it’s understood by the people who spend a lot of time on track that a refresh is needed at around X number of hours of track time, why would a car market by Ford as “track-capable” not be subject to the same mechanical limitations? I’m just amazed at some of the Chicken Little responses to the Voodoo. Are we really surprised when the motor pops in a heavily tracked car?

I drive a GT350R and a 2019 ZLE regularly, often back-to-back on the weekends. The RPM range on the two cars is vastly different, even in normal traffic. The ZLE is far more powerful, and far less fun. The LT4 is out of breath about the same time the Voodoo starts coming on strong.
I've seen a voodoo pop on it's 2nd ever track session. Is that considered "heavily"? Shouldn't that be a surprise?

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Sorry to hear this, Jon. Glad you at least have another car or two available that you can track this summer, if you should choose to do so.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
I've seen a voodoo pop on it's 2nd ever track session. Is that considered "heavily"? Shouldn't that be a surprise?
Yes, of course. But how common is that? I know, internet data suggests it’s SUPER common…

I posted a specific question to provide context, that’s it.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Jesus, that second pic; is that the top of the piston? It looks like someone used it to cook meth.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There is computer models and the real world. The models don't always work. In fact most times the finished product needs to be revised several times before it is right.
I agree with this - a computer model doesn't always match the real world. Even if the engineers input all the information correctly they don't always match. There are limitations to what can be calculated. And fatigue failure is a probability function, not an absolute.

I am not saying my hypothesis is the reason, just a possibility backed up by all the add on's ford put on the car itself. Most if not all were to stop vibrations, harmonics and standing waves.
I don't think that NVH reducing add-ons are evidence that Voodoo vibrations kill valves. NVH add-ons are there to make the car more enjoyable to drive. And there are NVH add-ons in every car built by every manufacturer. Yes the Voodoo is different than a cross plane V8, but it's not unusual for an ICE to have vibrations that need to be cancelled.

There is a reason Ford will not sell this engine as a stand alone and it is not just to be unique.
You have no evidence to support that. It just comes off as sour grapes. Are you sad you can't afford a GT350 or something?

Interesting, I'm no engineer but could the timing belt tensioner contribute to a dropped valve?
Possibly if the valve opened at the wrong time it could hit the piston, which could damage the valve. However, if only a single valve had the issue, I think it's unlikely to be a timing problem. If the tensioner caused the camshaft to be mispositioned, all the valves run by that cam would be mispositioned. More likely it was a defect in that valve. You would have to open up the engine and see whether any other valves touched pistons.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Are you sad you can't afford a GT350 or something?
No, I'm waiting for the C8 Zo6 to have a year or two under it's belt.

Again I like the Ferrari sound and the quick rev of a traditional flat crank. GM might run into the same problems as Ford. I don't know if GM collaborates with Ferrari or other flat crank auto manufacturers.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Of the 9,300 miles you have on the car, how many are track miles? I recall @honeybadger saying a while back that a full refresh should be performed at around 40 hours of track time. I know you are looking at getting the replacement motor under warranty so may not want to say publicly, but you’ve posted A LOT about your track time on here so I personally am viewing this as a car that likely has seen a fair amount of track hours.

The reason I am bringing this up (not trying to call you out for sure, you’ve been a valuable resource on this forum) is that most people reading the post and commenting back about the terrible reliability of the Voodoo motor aren’t considering how much time the car has spent on the track. All motors that see regular track use need maintenance and spinning the motor between 7,000 and 8,250 rpms is a lot different than a weekend trip to cars and coffee. Context is important.

I’m also not suggesting there aren’t some trade offs with the nontraditional FPC, but how the car is used is a significant factor.
Agree with you 100%, context matters. I certainly use the car as it was intended to be used, and I’m happy to share specifics via PM with anyone interested, or publicly after the new motor has been installed.

I’ll add that the engine, reverse syncro, and new starter that’ll be serviced at this visit makes 21 warranty claims on this car in 30 months and 9300 miles, which I feel is beyond acceptable, even with hard use. You don’t see these kinds of issues with LS motors or even coyotes for that matter.

Id say maybe I just have a lemon, but the issues I’ve regularly had seem common enough on this forum (vct wiring and solenoids, starter, alternator, battery, dropping a valve here or there.). Maybe I’m just unlucky :)

Last edited:

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
Agree with you 100%, context matters. I certainly use the car as it was intended to be used, and I’m happy to share specifics via PM with anyone interested, or public ally after the new motor has been installed.

I’ll add that the engine, reverse syncro, and new starter that’ll be serviced at this visit makes 21 warranty claims on this car in 30 months and 9300 miles, which I feel is beyond acceptable, even with hard use. You don’t see these kinds of issues with LS motors or even coyotes for that matter.

Id say maybe I just have a lemon, but the issues I’ve regularly had seem common enough on this forum (vct wiring and solenoids, starter, alternator, battery, dropping a valve here or there.). Maybe I’m just unlucky :)
Yep, it's totally you...

Lmao

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Sorry to hear this, Jon. Glad you at least have another car or two available that you can track this summer, if you should choose to do so.
Thanks Gary. Ohh yeah, I’ll be out there at least another 3 weekends this year.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.